U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 11:47 AM

3,644 posts, read 1,572,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Wanted to add several more locations we've been already that I thought of this morning:
Charleston, SC
Savannah, GA
Williamsburg, VA
Outer Banks, NC
Philadelphia, PA

Talked with my husband last night and he declared that he wants to avoid anywhere REALLY COLD - so Canada and Alaska are out.

I had the thought to do a driving tour in the Midwest. Fly to Chicago on a Friday and stay through Monday morning. On Monday morning drive to Cleveland (5 hours) and stay until Wednesday morning, then drive to Louisville, KY (5 hours) until Friday morning. On Friday morning, drive to Indianapolis, IN (2 hours) and stay through Sunday morning. Then on Sunday, drive back to Chicago (3 hours) and fly home that evening.

We don't mind driving, and the longer drives would be in the first half of the trip, and we'd be able to "hit the highlights" in each city, which I think would appeal to my husband since he gets bored very quickly. Granted, I wouldn't get my "day of rest" that I like, but I could always arrange to take an extra vacation day on the Monday after we get home to be my decompress day.

What do you folks think of that idea?
Have you been to new England?? It should be very good in summer.. It has everything you can ask for - trekking, boating, camping,aerial trams etc and they are quiet and quaint to relax..

We went just before fall and loved it there. Away from all madness..Its a 1000 mile drive one way though or you can take a flight to Boston and then drive..

And If I plan to go midwest, I will save that money by staying at home or going to nearby Galveston..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 12:16 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,322,132 times
Other places I'd look at would be the Monterey Bay area in California or the red rock national parks in Utah. Fly cheaply to SFO or San Jose and in less than two hours you're in Monterey. See the Big Basin redwoods and cool beachfront amusement park in Santa Cruz, visit the Monterey aquarium or the Steinbeck center in Salinas. Visit picturesque Carmel, see the amazing scenery and wildlife at Point Lobos, drive down through Big Sur to the Hearst Castle... stupendous variety and natural beauty all next to one another.

Or fly into Salt Lake City and spend a week doing a loop down to Bryce Canyon and Zion, then over to Arches or Canyonlands.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:52 PM

3,923 posts, read 4,666,712 times
I've been to SLC and did Bryce Canyon/Zion - did it with a gal pal since my husband had no interest.

I lived just outside Monterey, CA as a teenager - have mentioned it to hubby in the past, but he didn't sound enthused.

We've both been to San Francisco - albeit not together.

*sigh* This is going to be tough to find a place.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:08 PM

15,116 posts, read 19,090,107 times
Skip the outerbanks. It's lovely, but your husband will be bored silly.

I think that driving tour is spending a vacation in the car. But different strokes. . .

The other cities you mention are ALL worthy contenders.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:20 PM

3,074 posts, read 1,823,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
My husband and I were talking about the fact that our 20th anniversary is coming up soon (not until mid-2017) and wondered where to go to celebrate.

Here's the kicker - we tend to have different interests, so picking a place can be difficult.

I like relaxing vacations, but he likes vacations with lots of activities and things to see. I like beach trips, but he's not a fan since he doesn't swim. We both like cold climates, but neither of us ski. He drinks beer, I do not. I like to have non-activity days, he always has to be doing something and doesn't like downtime.

We've made those differences work over the years. We'll go somewhere and he knows at least one day will be a DO NOTHING day. It drives him crazy, but he knows that out of an 8-day trip, I need one day to decompress and do nothing.

Places we've already been over the years include:
Holland and Belgium
Mexico
Scotland
Florida
Hawaii
Washington DC
New York City
New Orleans
Los Angeles
Las Vegas

We won't be able to spend a lot of money on the trip - so that takes Europe out of the equation. We do not like going on cruises, so the Caribbean is out unless we fly there for cheap.

He has already been to some places I have not (or I went before we met), and has no desire to go back - those places include England, Seattle, San Francisco, Portland (OR), Boston, and Aruba. I'd love to go to Paris or somewhere in Italy and he has no desire whatsoever (can't anyway due to cost involved).

A couple places I think he'd like for exploring that would also allow me downtime:
Nova Scotia, CAN
Victoria/Vancouver, CAN
Austin, TX
Chicago, IL

I've also thought about having us rent a small RV and just pick a course and go driving for a week or so, visiting various areas within 3-4 days' drive and back the long way 'round.

Any ideas on a way to have a fun, cost-effective activity-filled vacation (for him) that will also be restful (for me)?
Kauai, Hana(Maui) or Central Oregon Coast(drive from Eugene, Ore to Coast and then drive north up to a sign directing to Portland, which is 250 miles drive total)

Old 04-15-2016, 06:21 PM

5,765 posts, read 4,195,334 times
I suggest flying out, then renting a car in Calgary Alberta, drive through the Rocky mountains to Vancouver BC, take a ferry across to Vancouver Island (which is beautiful and has moderate weather year round) and do a circle tour. Then you could leave your car in Vancouver and fly home.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:11 PM

9,088 posts, read 8,374,389 times
Why would you cross off Canada from your list? Especially if you're travelling between April and September.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:00 AM

19,928 posts, read 18,941,658 times
If Canada is still in, the new catamaran will be starting up. It's about a 6 hour trip from Portland Maine. And Maine is a nice place to see--your husband won't be bored around the York area--beautiful inns, great beaches, cute shops (well, that's more of a woman thing.)

The new boat will go to Yarmouth and you can either take your car along or rent one when you get there. Self driving trip, stop and relax when you want to or one of you can go to a back or bike riding or hiking. It's quiet and relaxing but there are things to do and places to see. It's on my list for this summer. If you drove up, you could spend as long as you wanted touring coastal New England. Boston is busy and lively with lots of things to do but as you drive northward you'll hit charming rural towns with immense amounts of history. Once you get to the New Hampshire coast, there are gorgeous beaches and then the fantastic town of Portsmith for eating, shopping, and just gorgeous scenery. If either of you like restaurants, there's a little bit of everything and a decent lack of fast food chains in New England.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:10 AM

4,903 posts, read 3,047,232 times
How about Boston with a side trip to Salem,Ma ? A couple of nice hotels and some great restaurants in Salem but not enough to occupy you for an 8 day stay.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:30 AM

3,923 posts, read 4,666,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Why would you cross off Canada from your list? Especially if you're travelling between April and September.
My husband has already been to Toronto and Montreal, and has no desire to go back. I've been to Vancouver and Victoria, and would love to go back - but he has no interest. I've also mentioned Nova Scotia as an option, and he has said no.

My husband is a VERY VERY picky man when it comes to traveling. Most of our vacations we've been on have either been to places we HAD to go (i.e., a wedding we turned into a vacation), or he chose because he was willing to go.

Only twice did I pick the place - that was Scotland and Disney with the kids the 2nd time we went (the first time we went was with my extended family and at THEIR request).

We've been talking the past couple days about possibly forking out the money and going to Ireland. It will cost a lot, but is one of the few places in Europe he's willing to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel