U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 09:32 AM

3,910 posts, read 4,646,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Skip the outerbanks. It's lovely, but your husband will be bored silly.

I think that driving tour is spending a vacation in the car. But different strokes. . .

The other cities you mention are ALL worthy contenders.
There must be some confusion - Outer Banks was part of a list of places we had ALREADY been to.

If we did a driving tour, we'd plan it so that we're not driving more than 5 hours a day, which is not a long time (in our opinion). And we'd spend 1-1/2 to 2 days in each city, which is long enough to hit the highlights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 10:14 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,469,884 times
Thailand is incredibly cheap and often the airfares there, especially if combined with a hotel package, are cheaper than domestic flights. We LOVED it!

Old 04-20-2016, 02:58 PM

13,891 posts, read 7,395,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Talked with my husband last night and he declared that he wants to avoid anywhere REALLY COLD - so Canada and Alaska are out.
Mid-2017? Canada is not cold in the summer. Right now, the Canadian dollar is crashed so prices are reasonable. If oil prices recover, that might not be true a year from now.

Old 04-30-2016, 05:41 AM

8,085 posts, read 4,418,585 times
This is true - oil is recovering and the loonie is at a 10 month high. More or less .80/$1 at the moment. . Still good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Mid-2017? Canada is not cold in the summer. Right now, the Canadian dollar is crashed so prices are reasonable. If oil prices recover, that might not be true a year from now.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:53 AM

Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

Re: Canada, since he doesn't like to revisit places he's already been, we'd have to go further north and west into Canada to places he's not been. That holds no interest for him.

In the end, we've decided to postpone and do a big trip in 2018 instead of 2017. That gives us more time to save up for it and will widen our choices, although right now Ireland is pretty much where we've decided to go. But that could change if our budget increases due to the year-long postponement.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:45 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,932,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

Re: Canada, since he doesn't like to revisit places he's already been, we'd have to go further north and west into Canada to places he's not been. That holds no interest for him.

In the end, we've decided to postpone and do a big trip in 2018 instead of 2017. That gives us more time to save up for it and will widen our choices, although right now Ireland is pretty much where we've decided to go. But that could change if our budget increases due to the year-long postponement.
Good luck with widening your options, your husband doesn't look like someone I would appreciate travelling with. I have visited a lot of places and I wouldn't be completely against visiting any one of them again, let alone going someplace I haven't been and which my wife loved.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:31 AM

barneyg - yeah, he can be difficult. He's very stubborn, but I love the guy, so I work within his parameters.

The good news is that my kids are getting older, so I foresee "mom and me" vacations to all the places I want to go. At some point I'll take my daughter to London and Paris (her request (I'm happy to do it)), and my son to Alaska (he WANTS to go to Africa, but that is WAY outside any budget we'd have!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel