U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 04:29 PM

1,076 posts, read 645,926 times

Advertisements

Best girlfriend: went for my jugular vein 24 hours into the trip by naming off all my pets who had died, completely randomly but also after she pigged out on chocolate and wine. I actually think it was a chemical reaction. I had zero wine or chocolate and was totally blindsided. We didn.t see or speak the rest of that trip nor for at least a year afterwards. $ down the tubes. It was so strange! I long to have her to travel with as she in many other ways is a good friend but just cannot take the chance of being in tears on vacation.
Best guy friend: took our 1st trip together and got along like peas and carrots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 05:39 PM

22,669 posts, read 28,697,836 times
A good friend, I knew I got along with her well, was coming to stay with me in Scotland and we were going to take the ferry across to Europe and go camping in Germany.

She shows up and it is not just her, as we planned, but she had her husband in tow. My husband sees that her husband is going to Germany with us and he decides that he must go, too. The two men have never gotten along and not just not gotten along, actively disliked each other.

Worse, I had a car with only two seats, so suddenly we had to take two vehicles and find additional camping equipment for two additional people.

To top off the fun, her husband had gone completely senile and every time we stopped anywhere he would wander off in a complete cloud, totally oblivious to where he was, disregarding traffic, so someone had to keep a hand on him all the time.

Not a fun trip.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:14 PM

2,222 posts, read 1,664,689 times
This thread has brought back a lot of memories. I once joined a motorcycle riding club and have traveled to a lot of place with all kinds of people.
It's amazing how many times we've started out with a sense of adventure but have it turn to an ordeal that I couldn't wait for it to end because of personalities.
People are basically good natured but once fatigue, stress, weather, and blood sugar levels kick in, you see the different side of a person.
A couple of times I was glad I didn't have any concealed weapons on me !

Old 04-26-2016, 06:28 PM

3,274 posts, read 3,692,755 times
Yeah, during a student trip in my college days, but I obviously couldn't pick my travel companions. My assigned roommate wanted our hotel room at 70 degrees while I wanted it at 55. So I would sleep next to the open window (it was February) and he had a space heater blowing on him all night. Every night.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:42 PM

50 posts, read 67,864 times
I'd like to think that I'm a very easy going person but I've had some issues with traveling companions in the past. First off my ex-husband. When we first got married the only place he would travel to was Las Vegas where he would abandon me for hours at a time (even on our honeymoon) to go gambling (or whatever). Then later in our marriage he was afraid to fly so any vacation we had to drive and he spent the entire time miserable, cranky, angry and resentful because of it.

Second would be my sister. I never really got along with her growing up but thought as adults we could travel together. Some things never change, she would take hours getting ready, which is fine when you are a single person and not impacting anyone but not when we are waiting for her to get ready to we can go and do what we traveled to do.

Third would be a friend from work who insists on sleeping with the TV on loud, the lights on and she snores. I like the dark and quiet. She also is on her own schedule (we call her the turtle) when I would like to be up and about exploring and doing what we came here for.

In my defense I have traveled many, many times with my daughter and other friends and had an absolutely wonderful time but they are all easy going and flexible.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:26 PM

6,703 posts, read 5,784,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Yeah, during a student trip in my college days, but I obviously couldn't pick my travel companions. My assigned roommate wanted our hotel room at 70 degrees while I wanted it at 55. So I would sleep next to the open window (it was February) and he had a space heater blowing on him all night. Every night.
He should of kicked you outside.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:29 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,138,000 times
One trip to another state with a longtime good friend, though I hadn't been around her for a couple of years. During those years she'd had a benign brain tumor removed and couldn't remember anything, plus she'd become extremely hot-natured and wanted our room to be refrigerator cold. We ended up enemies and never spoke to each other again after returning home.

Made another trip to a bridge tournament in a nearby state with another bridge player. We went in her vehicle. Turns out she was an alcoholic and got plastered every evening and after I went to bed she would call people she knew just to talk. Sometimes they weren't all people she knew very well. We drove home in silence and was I glad to get home.

I made another automobile trip to Florida with 2 other women which was a great success. We all had a good time. Attended The Grand Ole Opry in Nashville. Only went to Pensacola in Florida. Came back through New Orleans which was fun and on to Houston before heading up to Oklahoma and home. Not one cross word or complaint. Our husbands worked together.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:33 PM

123 posts, read 77,932 times
Ah, the memories. After a year long break-up decided to go on a cruise with an ex because I had never been on one and she had multiple times. With some break-ups, over time you recall the good experiences and I thought it would be fun. By the second night I had my bags packed and had a plan to disembark and catch a flight back. Yes, it was that bad. One of the bigger bonehead moves of my life...

Old 04-26-2016, 10:53 PM

17,386 posts, read 21,228,976 times
When my 82YO mother was diagnosed with liver cancer, me and my sister decided to give her a nice treat, take her on her first cruise, to the Caribbean.

2 days into the trip, we were tempted to throw her overboard!

"I'm bored, I'm bored, I'm bored, when do we get off the ship next? Put that book down and talk to me!"

Me and my sister are avid readers, we can sit on a lounge chair and read all day long, occasionally falling off to sleep. My mother is not a reader, except the local paper (which she had no access to) and the TV options were extremely limited.

Thank God it was just a 7 day cruise, for if it had been a 2 week cruise, I think me and my sister would have jumped overboard!

Old 04-26-2016, 11:01 PM

17,386 posts, read 21,228,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
This happened to me one time, an old friend flew out here to Las Vegas for a car trip to southern Utah in June.

At home, even in the middle of summer, I keep A/C at 80, as I hate cold air blowing on me, even in a car.

Well, my friend wanted the A/C ice cold in the car leading me to stop off at a thrift store to buy some long pants and a long-sleeved shirt for the duration of the trip, and in the motel, I had to ask the desk clerk for an extra blanket.

I have a Mexican roommate who's been with me for 15 years and we're like Siamese twins. The picture perfect person to travel anywhere with. And, on long car trips, I like silence, looking at the scenery and meditating, and what a luxury! We can travel 200 miles, at a stretch, and it's all golden, comfortable silence! We both will bring the car to a screeching halt a the sign of a thrift store, and one time we wen to Salt Lake City, and for 3 solid days, 9am-9pm we did nothing but thrift stores! Now that was a trip to heaven!

I will never do a long or even short car trip with a Chatty Kathy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or