U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 10:04 AM

2,756 posts, read 5,327,145 times

Advertisements

A few times so that's why I prefer to travel with only my wife now. I'm at the age now where I'm intolerant of other people's hangups and whatnot. I simply won't put up with it on a vacation. In a nutshell, I don;t have time to babysit grown folks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 02:22 PM

5,472 posts, read 2,931,963 times
More and more I prefer to travel alone.

I have a friend, we have traveled to about four countries together. Every time I think it should be our last. I am pretty sure we have had our last trip together. There are a few things we are very compatible about---the amount of money we spend, the level of adventure, non pickiness about a lot of things. Other things that drive me up a wall--she is "an expert" in all things, she never, never stops talking.

I also need time alone, I often feel claustrophobic when I am constantly with someone.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:45 PM

38,300 posts, read 14,965,857 times
Worst travel companion ever is a relative of mine who never pays her share. She believes that since I earn more money, I don't mind picking up a good share of her travel expenses.

She always order a cocktail or two and an appetizer at dinner. Only offers to fill up the tank when it's over half full and we've just stopped for a break.

She also smokes.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:34 PM

17,428 posts, read 21,272,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

She also smokes.
I overlooked that one! Smoking!

Yes, I smoke, but I won't smoke inside my hotel/room, I step outside the room to do that! On my last trip with my smoking friend, she insisted on smoking inside the room! Cough, cough, cough!

Old 04-28-2016, 11:07 PM

883 posts, read 931,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I overlooked that one! Smoking!

Yes, I smoke, but I won't smoke inside my hotel/room, I step outside the room to do that! On my last trip with my smoking friend, she insisted on smoking inside the room! Cough, cough, cough!
OMG nooooo, that is so bad. I always book non smoking rooms / vacation rentals, my smoking friends are cool with smoking outside...like in the courtyard or in a vacation rental, out on the balcony or whatever.

Old 05-01-2016, 02:41 PM

228 posts, read 541,458 times
Almost every trip there is always someone with issues that make things suck for me. So what I do now is if I travel with someone I haven't before, I ask a lot of questions to get a feeling of what they are like. I say that there will be a lot of waking, and we can do this and that, and when they say something to the like: "sure whatever/ I'm down/I have no problem with that" they generally end up being good travel partners.

I also go with people that have similar interests like coworkers. I just did a frentic jamb packed itinerary this past weekend in SF with 2 coworkers and they were game for everything.

If I end up with people that I don't know well or might make things difficult, I make sure I have my own plans and they can pick or choose to join me in all or some if the itinerary, otherwise I just plan to ditch them and say we meet up for dinner.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:12 PM

11,743 posts, read 6,312,833 times
Yes. When I traveled to Turkey with some friends (3 friends, to be exact), there were two friends that entered into a "clique" once we got there, which made the trip unbearable for the remaining 2 of us. I would never do that again with that particular group.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:26 PM

815 posts, read 463,107 times
I love my wife but I found out a lot about our different travel styles on a whirlwind tour of Europe in 2012. I prefer fast paced travel, exotic native cuisine, night time photography, and the occasional daytrip if you think you've covered a city pretty well. I know that I wore my poor wife out who I dumped at the hotel each night. Our honeymoon in Costa Rica was more up her alley. 2 locales in gorgeous spots, lots of lounging, tropical drinks, shady beach etc. That's great too, don't get me wrong, but I prefer cosmopolitan European capital cities to a week on a beach if given a choice. We agreed that when we revisit Europe it will be far fewer places and a slower pace which I'm OK with. I have been able to do some solo travel for photography which has been great (Ireland, Edinburgh, NYC, Montreal next month) Works out prettty good.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:26 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,441,490 times
Default Yes and I still haven't found a good travel partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
This person could have been a family member or a good friend, or someone you had never traveled with before, and you later found out you miscalculated somehow, and it was too late to turn back. It could have been your failure to ask some key questions...and if you did pick the wrong, or a more unsuitable traveling companion, what safeguards are you now taking so it doesn't happen again? Agreed to compromises before you begin the trip?
Because so much of my travel happens to be work-related, I am usually traveling alone or with coworkers. However for leisure travel, which is rare for me, the wrong person was my mother and once with my significant other (at that time). Not completely wrong but it made for a challenging trip when my mom and I went to San Francisco several years ago. She is an early riser and I am not when traveling for leisure. We got to the city late that evening. The next morning she got up early and went to the free breakfast in the lobby of the hotel. I attempted to sleep in some but was disrupted several times by family members calling me whom she had called from the hotel lobby to complain and report that I was "laying around sleeping all day causing her to miss the sights of the city". It was not quite 9 am when this happened.

Another leisure trip was in Denver. This was several family members including my mom and my sister. They did not like walking and every sightseeing place we visited, they complained about not wanting to walk and quickly found seats where the sat the entire time while I walked around exploring the sites. They talked about how I never stop moving, have too much energy, etc.

During the drive to Colorado, we passed near a volcanic site in New Mexico. We could see it from a distance from a two lane hwy out in the middle of the desert. I wanted us to take the detour and visit it but they weren't interested. When it came time for dining out when we got to a city or town, they chose national chains such as restaurants they have at home instead of choosing local food establishments so that we could try something different from our norm. That never crossed their minds and they refused to budge from it.

We get along great, share a lot of laughs, and enjoy each other's company but they're just not adventuresome as I am. I still love to travel with them but would need another travel partner for trips that I could really "go all out in enjoying myself". Although I do tons of travel, about 95% of it is work related. I do NOT like traveling alone as to me the new sights and experiences are better shared with someone whether that be with a significant other, family member, or friend.

Last edited by Klassyhk; 05-02-2016 at 08:47 PM..

Old 05-02-2016, 08:31 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,441,490 times
Default Can't stand that

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
More and more I prefer to travel alone.

I have a friend, we have traveled to about four countries together. Every time I think it should be our last. I am pretty sure we have had our last trip together. There are a few things we are very compatible about---the amount of money we spend, the level of adventure, non pickiness about a lot of things. Other things that drive me up a wall--she is "an expert" in all things, she never, never stops talking.

I also need time alone, I often feel claustrophobic when I am constantly with someone.

That's one thing I can't take -- the person who talks NON-STOP. I'm a fairly quiet person so most of the time the person I'm with talks more than I do but still I expect there to be a limit. I visited a friend a few months ago in a beautiful area of the country and she wanted to unload on me the past five years of her life starting with day one. OMG, I thought I would lose it. I felt stuck with a human radio with no OFF button.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or