Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 01:15 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times

Advertisements

This person could have been a family member or a good friend, or someone you had never traveled with before, and you later found out you miscalculated somehow, and it was too late to turn back. It could have been your failure to ask some key questions.

Only once did I have any problems with a traveling companion. It revolved around one wanting to stay up late, another wanting to retire earlier, one wanting to get up at the crack of dawn, and the other wanting to sleep later in the morning. The dissimilar walking paces was even more of a problem, as I'm a fast, long legged walker, and there you are with someone forever telling you to slow down, slow down! And oh what a challenge to slow down my pace to that of a turtle!

And if you did pick the wrong, or a more unsuitable traveling companion, what safeguards are you now taking so it doesn't happen again? Agreed to compromises before you begin the trip?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 04:04 AM

181 posts, read 493,437 times
Yes, this has happened to me a few times, plus once I took a group tour. It wasn't a good experience. I only travel solo now. Works out much better, no compromises necessary, no having to put up with someone else's bad or embarrassing behavior. If you travel alone, it's easier to meet people. In some countries people are extra nice and often look out for a solo traveler.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:05 AM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
Yes, I did. My husband. He had a great deal of anxiety when going to new places. His first action would be to turn on the TV in the hotel room and relax. I wanted to go explore.

Then throughout our marriage he wanted to spend all his vacation time with his parents, at their home or at their shore house. I wanted to go different places but he always insisted that the free vacation was better. I think it had more to do with anxiety.

I resolved all this by getting divorced.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:08 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,060,434 times
This is a conundrum for dw and I. We have been trying to find like minded travel buddies, but thus far no success. Haven't even broached the idea with anyone as yet, due to 'signals' we have picked up, that would seem to point to a not good match.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:25 AM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Not really because usually I travel alone.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:11 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,822,657 times
Yes.. and never again....crabbing... complaining.. whining about everything from the uncomfortable bed..to the food...to the drinks etc etc etc..Just saw on Facebook she's going to Florida with 2 mutual friends next month. ..GOOD LUCK. .. She is a buzz kill and a half...

On that same trip, the two other girls that were with me and Ms. Buzzkill got into a fight at the local bar..wirg other patrons...MIND YOU we were 50 yrs old at the time. ..and that experience left me with no more girls trips with them...Ridiculous .

Old 04-26-2016, 11:32 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Not really because usually I travel alone.
This. The few times I've traveled with S/Os it worked well.

Old 04-26-2016, 01:51 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
For the first forty years of our marriage, my spouse was the wrong person to travel with. For starters, it was like pulling teeth to ever get him to go anywhere. Five years ago, it was like someone flipped a switch. Now, we can't travel enough to suit him.

My sister and I, on the other hand, were absolutely made to travel together. We want to do all of the same things and we want to do them at the same time as the other person. We agree on accommodations, dining, entertainment -- the works. It's rare to be able to find the perfect travel companion, but I definitely have.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:54 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Business travel is rife with these things.

I was on a two-week long photo shoot in Los Angeles. It was going to be great. Stay in a cool hotel, show up for 2-3 hours of shooting daily, and then knock about LA.

But my colleague was a total neurotic who never wanted to do anything. I finally started abandoning her at the hotel because she never wanted to go anywhere. Then she complained that I always was leaving her at the hotel. She complained about the food, the accommodations (Which were boffo), the fact that I got a suite while she didn't (I was her boss), and just about everything else under the sun. Toward the end, I seriously thought about driving into Watts, slowing down to 5 mph and shoving her out the door.

Another time, I went to Queenstown, New Zealand. My traveling companion was my producer and she was very cool. A total gas. But the colleague who arrived four days later was a Bible thumper who wanted to talk about work all the time. Here we were doing great work and enjoying time at night in this very cool resort town and he was standing around disapproving of everything. Yikes.

My wife, however, is a total gas to travel with.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:15 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Yes, I did. My husband. He had a great deal of anxiety when going to new places. His first action would be to turn on the TV in the hotel room and relax. I wanted to go explore.

Then throughout our marriage he wanted to spend all his vacation time with his parents, at their home or at their shore house. I wanted to go different places but he always insisted that the free vacation was better. I think it had more to do with anxiety.

I resolved all this by getting divorced.
Oh, I forgot to say, one thing that I thought about constantly was: watching The Amazing Race, and wondering, who would I want to run that race with? Who would be my best possible partner? And realizing, that would not be my husband. So now when I date, I ask myself: Is this a guy I could run The Amazing Race with? Still looking........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel