U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 07:35 PM

7,689 posts, read 16,139,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
No such thing. There are Delta redemptions, KLM/Air France redemptions, Alitalia redemptions, Korean redemptions... Every program is different.

Meaning there was redemptions on Delta + alliance partner airlines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 08:00 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,547,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
The credit cards I was referring to where the promotional cards that give you, say, 50,000 miles if you spend $3,000 within 3 months. Or something to that effect. For me, that's not worth it. And even for those cards where you get miles for every dollar you spent (outside of promotions like the one mentioned above), I'd prefer my rewards points go towards other things. But that's me.
Sorry, I still don't quite understand. What kind of rewards points do you earn? Cash back? Or do you just not use credit cards much?

Old 04-28-2016, 08:19 PM

11,793 posts, read 6,336,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Sorry, I still don't quite understand. What kind of rewards points do you earn? Cash back? Or do you just not use credit cards much?
I use cashback rewards cards as opposed to travel rewards cards, etc.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:32 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,547,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I use cashback rewards cards as opposed to travel rewards cards, etc.
Gotcha.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:51 PM

3,765 posts, read 3,513,022 times
I fly mostly Southwest, and use a Southwest Visa card for most larger purchases (debit card for day to day stuff like groceries).

As others say, the miles rewards work best if you fly frequently and focus on accumulating miles with one airline. It can be very helpful. One time I was able to use 50,000 AA miles to get to a family Thanksgiving, when normal flights were extremely expensive. That was a great payoff.

I recommend using an airline credit card and being as loyal as possible to one airline, to maximize accumulation of miles. Sometimes car rental and hotels can also reward miles, but be careful that they don't slap on an extra fee for the privilege.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:39 PM

9,266 posts, read 11,906,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
As others say, the miles rewards work best if you fly frequently and focus on accumulating miles with one airline.

I recommend using an airline credit card and being as loyal as possible to one airline, to maximize accumulation of miles. Sometimes car rental and hotels can also reward miles, but be careful that they don't slap on an extra fee for the privilege.
and, this is how many have successful worked the program. Airline credit card and loyalty to that airline. Unfortunately, I think a lot of people really don't fly often enough, or don't use a dedicated airline card to make accumulating miles worthwhile. Additionally, they tend to look at the lowest miles redemption without examining that it's the red eye with 12 stops and a 9 hour layover in Great Falls Montana and there is only 1 seat available at that low miles redemption level.

Even if I am paying for a flight I use their credit card as you earn miles for the flight and miles for buying the ticket.

The worthless trip is the one where you have to use all your miles for some cramp coach seat where the fare was a $149 special anyways. Heck, but the ticket and use the miles to upgrade to business or first if you have enough miles.

Old 04-29-2016, 05:47 AM

769 posts, read 542,353 times
I only use them for international business class tickets. Those usually cost more than $8000 (eight thousand) round trip which is ridiculous.

I would never waste miles on a coach seat.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:01 AM

3,765 posts, read 3,513,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post
I only use them for international business class tickets. Those usually cost more than $8000 (eight thousand) round trip which is ridiculous.

I would never waste miles on a coach seat.
Road warriors use their miles for upgrades. Unfortunately, first class is becoming a thing of the past; Southwest doesn't even have it.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:22 AM

3,804 posts, read 2,693,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Yes. The gifting party was lead to believe that it would cover a round round trip by American Airlines. That is why they were gifted to me (as stated in my original post) to visit family. I ended up using the miles to comp the first leg and paid for the second leg out of pocket.
Yeah, I kinda feel your pain - been led down that same route with Frontier's credit card bonus sign-up offer. Truth of the matter is, 20K miles CAN cover a round trip if you travel on the less popular dates (or COULD, I should say, as the most recent devaluation made your particular itinerary 25K), but isn't likely to. Did the gifting party buy you the miles? Because, chances are, they paid more than the ticket would have cost out of pocket. It's not a scam as nowhere on its site does AA state that 20K is enough for a round trip, so whoever gave you the miles probably could have done a bit more research.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:27 AM

3,804 posts, read 2,693,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
No scam, you were just unaware of how miles worked. That's a lot of connections. Did you really expect for 20k miles to cover the whole trip?
That's one connection total, which is a moot point anyways, considering non-stops tend to cost more (with good reason).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or