U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 01:54 PM

5,230 posts, read 8,388,588 times

Advertisements

Looking for recommendations (pro and con) on what insurer company to use for medical coverage for travel from the US to the UK. Not necessarily cheapest, but best service if needed.

Plan to take 2 week trip in Sept. Being 72 y/o, Medicare does not cover outside USA. Have looked at insuremytrip.com for possible insurers. Currently Travelex appears to be a good choice.

Comments ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 02:01 PM

7,302 posts, read 4,148,032 times
Travelex is fine. For convenience, make sure the policy you choose offers PRIMARY medical coverage, not secondary coverage.

Old 04-29-2016, 05:01 AM

32,060 posts, read 32,956,580 times
If you graduated an American college at some point, check and see if there is an alumni travel medical insurance offered.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:50 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,920,408 times
I've bought from Travelex (using insuremytrip.com) a few times. Can't comment on the level of service because I've never had a claim .

I'm in the process of buying a policy now. And it seems like Travelex may no longer be the best option for us since my husband is now 70+ (it's not even coming up as an option in my search). Our best option seems to be Voyager Choice. The Voyager Choice plan is the only plan that seems to offer $1 million in coverage as well as $500k in evacuation coverage. It also covers sudden recurrences of pre-existing conditions (many policies don't cover preexisting conditions). It requires underlying coverage - but says that Medigap policies are ok (Medicare Advantage plans aren't). Our Medigap policies have $50k in coverage for care outside the US - and I will make a phone call to make sure that it is ok primary coverage.

FWIW - I disagree with the suggestion that buying primary coverage is important. I would rather deal with my own Medigap carrier (UHC) than a strange insurance company if I have a claim. So I'm buying the policy specifically for excess catastrophic insurance over our limited Medigap coverage. Note that - as with most medical insurance - you pay a lot for first dollar coverage. So I always take the biggest deductible I can get. Robyn

Old 05-02-2016, 05:59 AM

P.S. Took a look at the Travelex policies. Max medical coverage is $100k - and the policy has a lot of bells and whistles I don't need (like trip cancellation coverage - death benefits - etc.). Which make it a bad deal price-wise (for us).

Note that if you have some non-refundable expenses (like for a cruise) - you may want trip cancellation coverage. We're just looking for plain vanilla medical coverage. Robyn

Old 05-02-2016, 02:34 PM

An update - I explored the travel policies more this afternoon. Just about all (maybe all) have a big "gotcha". Namely that they only cover you for the length of your expected trip - plus 7 days. So if you happen to wind up in the hospital for a month - you're SOL. Now that I know this - well I wouldn't be inclined to travel outside the US if I had a medical condition where I had a reasonable possibility of winding up in a hospital with something serious for an extended period of time.

Note that our Medigap policies are ok as underlying coverage. Robyn

Old 05-02-2016, 04:19 PM

21,958 posts, read 22,099,030 times
We've used CSA before, and have even filed a claim with them for medical services not performed in the U.S. They paid us with no hassle.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
We've used CSA before, and have even filed a claim with them for medical services not performed in the U.S. They paid us with no hassle.
That seems to be a company that specializes in trip cancellation and similar for stuff like cruises. It gave me a quote of $3000 (when I input the cost of my trip at $5k). Robyn

Old 05-02-2016, 05:29 PM

5,230 posts, read 8,388,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
An update - I explored the travel policies more this afternoon. Just about all (maybe all) have a big "gotcha". Namely that they only cover you for the length of your expected trip - plus 7 days. So if you happen to wind up in the hospital for a month - you're SOL. Now that I know this - well I wouldn't be inclined to travel outside the US if I had a medical condition where I had a reasonable possibility of winding up in a hospital with something serious for an extended period of time.

Note that our Medigap policies are ok as underlying coverage. Robyn

Well, I'm studying 2 plans that IMT recommended for my concerns (mainly medical). Here is what the Certificate for one says re extended coverage:
"If You are Hospitalized due to an Accidental Injury that first occurred during the course of the Trip beyond the Scheduled Return Date, coverage under this benefit will be extended until You are released from the Hospital or until Maximum Benefits under this Certificate have been paid"
(Of course it's possible the Max could be hit in 7 days )

One issue I'm calling back tomorrow about is IMT said both plans offered "Direct Pay" to providers. However in reading thru the Certificates, I see no mention of such.

In my case, I am on an Advantage HMO-POS plan with some Worldwide coverage, (maybe not next year)
and would prefer that the Trip Ins be primary. Cost is not a huge issue. Quotes range from $175 - $225

And I thought deciding on Medicare choices was a pain..........

Old 05-02-2016, 10:02 PM

21,958 posts, read 22,099,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
That seems to be a company that specializes in trip cancellation and similar for stuff like cruises. It gave me a quote of $3000 (when I input the cost of my trip at $5k). Robyn
Really? I never tried getting the insurance online, but that would be truly exorbitant. I've used them for cruises, but also for other trips. We took a 30-day road trip through Great Britain last September and got CSA insurance for the two of us (and we're both Medicare age) for under $600. I did it by phone, but it was simple as could be and very reasonably priced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or