U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 02:22 PM

2,125 posts, read 2,909,278 times

Advertisements

In terms of landscape, CA can't be beat. You have the soaring cliffs with dramatic plunge into Pacific Ocean, you have the forest, you have the dry desert, the farmland, the city, etc. Food is great too.

For FL, why not explore Northwest FL (also known as the FL panhandle), and continue to New Orleans, LA? You'll get the swamp, the beach, seafood, and fantastic New Orleans food and music. It's going to be one hot and humid trip though.

For the East Coast, since you've been to NY, why not concentrate on a few New England states? Start with Boston, then onto Maine, and Rhode Island. Food is great too, especially if you love seafood and lobster.

Also, to echo another poster's caution regarding traffic in the East Coast, yes, it's going to be congested, so definitely avoid driving during rush hours (morning 6am - 10am and evening 3pm - 7pm). Not that west coast traffic is any better too, mind you!

Or if you insist on going to West Coast, summer in Pacific Northwest is simply stunning. Particularly Washington State (not to be confused with Washington, DC) and Oregon, and you can swing by to Vancouver - Canada, which is roughly a 3-hour ride from Seattle. Their food is also fantastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 04:51 PM

7,292 posts, read 4,148,032 times
Also consider a road trip through the mountain west: Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho. Fabulous mountain scenery!

Really you're spoiled for choice when it comes to spectacular US road trips.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:14 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,873,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav360 View Post
Hi everyone, as in every year I'm starting to plan my summer vacation few months in advance.
This year I've decided to go to the US, I'm just still not sure where exactly in the US I want to go

I'm not an American so I really need your honest recommendations in order to find out my next destination this summer.

I made a road trip to California 2 years ago and a regular trip to New York last year. I liked the road trip much better, hence this year it's also going to be on the road.

Currently I'm tempted to choose one of the following courses:
- California (eXtrigo Goal Setting and Productivity Application)
- Florida (Miami ->Tampa -> Orlando-> Jacksonville)
- Texas (Huston -> San Antonio -> Austin -> Dallas)
- East coast(Boston -> New York -> Philadelphia -> Washington)

My decision factors would be:
- The sites (most important)
- The food (very important)
- The people
- Budget

Looking forward to hear your opinions and recommendations.
Also, if you have special tips or recommendations for some of the locations specifically, please share them I want to share it in a public trip Diary like I did in my previous vacation to California.
For a summer road trip, California is the obvious choice among your options. The amount of time you are going to spend makes a huge difference to the itinerary I would suggest. As would your interests (nature, museums, views, architecture, history, etc.).

If you have one week, I would suggest starting in San Francisco and taking CA-1 to San Diego. Maybe 2 nights SF, 1 night Monterey/Carmel, 1 night Big Sur, 2 nights LA, 1 night SD. 10 days would be better, and I would add 2 nights in wine country (driving north of SF) if you like wine, otherwise adding time in Big Sur & the Central Coast.

With 2 weeks, I would probably add Palm Springs.

With a month, I would add a leg in the Sierras.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:01 PM

815 posts, read 461,318 times
your Florida plan sounds intriguing minus Jacksonville...substitute Key West in it's place (not terribly far from Miami). Only caveat is that it's not going to be scenic like California.....just miles and miles of interstate

Old 05-08-2016, 04:25 AM

29,546 posts, read 16,475,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post

TX - not too knowledgeable on Texas but most of those places are very boring.

Obviously.

Old 05-08-2016, 04:28 AM

29,546 posts, read 16,475,253 times
If weather is very important, you should only consider CA. All of the others are either hot or hot and humid.

If weather is not important, all of the other areas are quite interesting (maybe with the exception of FL).

For me, I would choose the beautiful parks and mountains in AZ, CO, UT and CA. Then add the wineries in Sonoma and Paso Robles (avoid Napa - the crowds make it quite stressful).

Old 05-08-2016, 11:05 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,582,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Since you've already been to California, I'd try something different.

I'd fly into Las Vegas, rent a car, and head straight to Utah to see the five beautiful National Parks (Zion, Bryce, Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef) there with perhaps a side trip to the Grand Canyon. Utah National Parks | Utah.com Also on a trip to Utah, you can visit Monument Valley, Antelope Canyon, and Escalante National Monument -- all beautiful and unique in their own ways. (Antelope Canyon is actually in Arizona like the Grand Canyon).

Again, check out this site: utah.com

Don't be afraid of a little heat. Most of the National Parks in Utah are at higher elevations, and they are so beautiful that you won't notice the temperature.
Wow.... I was going to advise almost the exact same trip, the CA & East coast trips are the better of the 4 you suggested originally, but the canyon country of the desert southwest is some of the most stunning landscapes on earth, no kidding. I've been to all of the places on your proposed itineraries but this is the most memorable sites. I will never forget driving south from Moab & suddenly seeing Monument Valley stretched out below us to the horizon from our high perch & having to zigzag down a steep road to it. Or floating through flooded canyons in Lake Powell.

I would also look into taking river/raft trips where available - Grand canyon the best but shorter ones can be had at Moab, Lake Powell... The food part could be centered on the Vegas days, many great restaurants there.

The caveat is that it will be hot in the summer time, adjust for that.

Old 05-09-2016, 03:17 AM

32 posts, read 14,233 times
I preferably suggest you to take a East coast(Boston -> New York -> Philadelphia -> Washington) trip. That will be budget and it will come under your expectation.

Thanks & Regards
Mathavan

Old 05-13-2016, 08:32 AM

735 posts, read 431,177 times
Texas is the best state in America, but it's very hot in summer.

I would like to recommend Pacific Northwest. Oregon and Washington are beautiful, if you are adventurous enough, you can also include British Columbia, Canada in your itinerary.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:33 AM

735 posts, read 431,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Also consider a road trip through the mountain west: Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho. Fabulous mountain scenery!

Really you're spoiled for choice when it comes to spectacular US road trips.
Great idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or