U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 02:14 AM

2 posts, read 1,361 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, as in every year I'm starting to plan my summer vacation few months in advance.
This year I've decided to go to the US, I'm just still not sure where exactly in the US I want to go

I'm not an American so I really need your honest recommendations in order to find out my next destination this summer.

I made a road trip to California 2 years ago and a regular trip to New York last year. I liked the road trip much better, hence this year it's also going to be on the road.

Currently I'm tempted to choose one of the following courses:
- California (http://extrigo.com/pageFrame?page=viewItem&itemId=3725)
- Florida (Miami ->Tampa -> Orlando-> Jacksonville)
- Texas (Huston -> San Antonio -> Austin -> Dallas)
- East coast(Boston -> New York -> Philadelphia -> Washington)

My decision factors would be:
- The sites (most important)
- The food (very important)
- The people
- Budget

Looking forward to hear your opinions and recommendations.
Also, if you have special tips or recommendations for some of the locations specifically, please share them – I want to share it in a public trip Diary like I did in my previous vacation to California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 05:18 PM

7,379 posts, read 13,342,091 times
For summer, California should be your choice. For the other three seasons of the year, California too.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:04 PM

1,723 posts, read 1,138,164 times
You could drive up the entire coast of California. Fly into San Diego and rent a car and head for the coast.
You'll experience many different California's and there are places all along the way that are worth seeing and feeling.
That road trip is, in my opinion, far better than the other drives you listed.

http://www.pacificcoasthighwayonline...fornia-map.gif

Old 04-29-2016, 09:33 PM

3,251 posts, read 1,238,018 times
If you already did CA and the east coast then probably one of the other choices.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:41 PM

2,642 posts, read 4,819,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav360 View Post

Florida and Texas are too hot for a summer vacation. Florida would be great for a winter vacation.

Quote:
East coast(Boston -> New York -> Philadelphia -> Washington)
Might be better for an Amtrak train trip instead of a road trip. Driving in NYC is not fun.

Quote:
- California
California is an obvious great choice for a roadtrip.

The Midwest is a secret alternate choice if one wants to avoid crowds and meet friendly people.

Midwest: Chicago,Wisconsin,Minnesota

http://bit.ly/1wfRsGS

http://bit.ly/1SAobBl

http://bit.ly/1YX9TLm

http://bit.ly/1N9pas1

http://bit.ly/1Un9sem

Last edited by capoeira; 04-29-2016 at 11:56 PM..

Old 04-30-2016, 12:38 AM

2 posts, read 1,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
For summer, California should be your choice. For the other three seasons of the year, California too.
It already been my first choice and I liked it very much (otherwise I wouldn't even consider to go again)
this why I posted my Dairy: My California Road Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Florida and Texas are too hot for a summer vacation. Florida would be great for a winter vacation.

Might be better for an Amtrak train trip instead of a road trip. Driving in NYC is not fun.

California is an obvious great choice for a roadtrip.

The Midwest is a secret alternate choice if one wants to avoid crowds and meet friendly people.

Midwest: Chicago,Wisconsin,Minnesota
I totally agree about Texas and Florida I was thinking exactly the same.

regarding NY, I'm not gonna drive inside the city I'm just gonna leave the car for few days in the hotel (I'm not crazy! already been to NY and I know whats going on there with the traffic)

Old 04-30-2016, 10:21 AM

7,379 posts, read 13,342,091 times
There's so much to see and do in CA that you could come out and visit here a dozen times and still not see it all.
If you come out here again, I'd suggest Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, and Monterey. Spend equal time in each.
I don't know what your interests are but you can include trips to the old Spanish missions and wineries in each of these areas, as well as days by the beach.There are also really nice hiking trails to explore.
Also, there's "wine country" (Sonoma and Napa...Mendocino should also be included here).
There's National Parks such as Yosemite, Sequoia, Lassen...
There's Gold Country, which is beautiful...towns such as Jamestown, Sonora, Murphys, Placerville, etc...
Lake Tahoe....

But, if you decide on something other than California, I think it should be the Pacific Northwest in summer. If you can also see British Columbia (Canada) as part of that trip, even better.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:40 AM

7,336 posts, read 4,441,456 times
Since you've already been to California, I'd try something different.

I'd fly into Las Vegas, rent a car, and head straight to Utah to see the five beautiful National Parks (Zion, Bryce, Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef) there with perhaps a side trip to the Grand Canyon. Utah National Parks | Utah.com Also on a trip to Utah, you can visit Monument Valley, Antelope Canyon, and Escalante National Monument -- all beautiful and unique in their own ways. (Antelope Canyon is actually in Arizona like the Grand Canyon).

Again, check out this site: utah.com

Don't be afraid of a little heat. Most of the National Parks in Utah are at higher elevations, and they are so beautiful that you won't notice the temperature.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:21 PM

1,145 posts, read 1,161,704 times
Quote:
Hi everyone, as in every year I'm starting to plan my summer vacation few months in advance.
This year I've decided to go to the US, I'm just still not sure where exactly in the US I want to go

I'm not an American so I really need your honest recommendations in order to find out my next destination this summer.

I made a road trip to California 2 years ago and a regular trip to New York last year. I liked the road trip much better, hence this year it's also going to be on the road.

Currently I'm tempted to choose one of the following courses:
- California (eXtrigo Goal Setting and Productivity Application)
- East coast(Boston -> New York -> Philadelphia -> Washington)

My decision factors would be:
- The sites (most important)
- The food (very important)
- The people
- Budget

Looking forward to hear your opinions and recommendations.
Also, if you have special tips or recommendations for some of the locations specifically, please share them I want to share it in a public trip Diary like I did in my previous vacation to California.
Yeah well, this is the California moving and relocation forum. Maybe a Moderator could move you to the travel forum since you don't even jnow what state you'd like to visit.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:34 PM

4,338 posts, read 2,263,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Since you've already been to California, I'd try something different.

I'd fly into Las Vegas, rent a car, and head straight to Utah to see the five beautiful National Parks (Zion, Bryce, Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef) there with perhaps a side trip to the Grand Canyon. Utah National Parks | Utah.com Also on a trip to Utah, you can visit Monument Valley, Antelope Canyon, and Escalante National Monument -- all beautiful and unique in their own ways. (Antelope Canyon is actually in Arizona like the Grand Canyon).

Again, check out this site: utah.com

Don't be afraid of a little heat. Most of the National Parks in Utah are at higher elevations, and they are so beautiful that you won't notice the temperature.
These are good recommendations. Utah is fantastic - really unique scenery. You can also rent an RV in SLC and drive to those places bringing your own supplies and camp.

Some comments and suggestions on the other places

FL - It would probably be a beach vacation - it is very easy to cross the state and there are many, many good tourist attractions in FL - of course Seaworld, Disney, Waterparks, but also Natural Springs where you can swim the waveless waters of the gulf or waves of the Atlantic. Also very affordable. Definitely recommend this.

TX - not too knowledgeable on Texas but most of those places are very boring.

East Coast - lots to do but this is too ambitious. You can do Washington + Philly or Washington+ NY or NY + Boston but not all four. Note that traffic between these locations is awful and driving sucks - with lots of tolls. It would also be more costly than say Texas or FL.

My west coast recommendation would be Northern CA (perhaps Napa valley and the Redwood forest, Portland + Colombia River + perhaps Crater Lake + Seattle. You could also swing in Vancouver and the Olympic Peninsula if you have time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or