Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 06:12 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,362,109 times

Advertisements

Agreed South Beach Miami is at the top, paradise in the lower 48 is reason enough. Don't need to leave the U.S. An international destination is it, with 60 million visitors annually.
Tens of thousands of foreigners have bought vacation homes in south Florida.
Northern Michigan beaches are phenomenally beautiful. The bluest I have ever seen. However the water of Lake Superior is so cold I could not get in it. In August.
Miami speaks of immense wealth with the Hotels and huge buildings as a backdrop for the beach, filled with condominiums and storefronts and expensive nightclubs and......the strip with the old Art-Deco buildings preserved, it is the most amazing place ever invented in the U.S.
Northern Michigan I would describe as an unspoiled and remote- immense freshwater wilderness. Remote and unforgiving it would be very easy to get lost in one of the Pine forests up there if one wandered too far in. The place will swallow you up and very quickly the forest all around you in all directions will look indistinguishable in all directions ,identical, there are no landmarks to get bearings off of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I have to list several, because each are beautiful for different reasons.

Orient Beach - St Maarten. For me, a classic white sand Caribbean Beach. With cool bars and restaurants behind me, beautiful blue water with all sort of water activities taking place, just classic in my book.

Waikiki Beach - Honolulu, HI. The beauty here is about the iconic view of Diamondhead while standing in the water. There's hotels and the city behind you, and the beach itself is for me a top flight classic tourist beach. But it succeed in every way on that front.

Lanikai Beach - Kailua, HI. Much more serene, less touristy. White sand, blue water. You park in a residential area and walk through a path to the beach. Just something about laying there taking in everything is lasting beauty in my mind.

South Beach - Miami, FL. It's the atmosphere. The nighttime scene. The beach itself. This is a combo deal, where both put together makes for a great experience.

Outer Banks - Rodanthe, NC. THe previous poster mentioned this, and it brought back a great memory. I hooked up my camping trailer and headed there from Boston to camp for 5 days. My site was right in a dune on the beach. It was peaceful. I purchased a kite at Kitty Hawk Kites, had a drink at my trailer, then went out on the beach, put on some music, and flew my kite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 08:23 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,518,879 times
Trunk Bay on St. John.
Attached Thumbnails
What is the most beautiful beach you have ever been to?-cruise-2008-010.jpg  

Old 04-30-2016, 08:51 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,034,077 times
Toss up for me -

Highlands, NJ, our private beach - for everything - the water, the friends, the beach, 4th generation of families on the street;

Nueva Vallarta, the beach, clear water, sometimes calm, sometimes a little more;

St. Thomas, USVI, so many of the beaches we visited - calm, clear water, soft sand, off-season few tourists, great weather;

Cocoa Beach, FL - great sandy beach, lots of places to visit, not a "hopping" place but not too quiet;

Myrtle Beach (north end) - they have special wheelchairs available with tube tires - A++++ to Myrtle Beach. Water was a little rough but the beach is nice.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:10 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,712,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Definitely not the white sands.

I don't remember any beach names, but when I was a child and my family lived in Panama, I remember going to beaches with black sand. It sparkled like there were tiny diamonds scattered everywhere.

Granted, that was 35+ years ago. I have no idea what their beaches look like today.
Nah, for me it's definitely the white sands. I've been to a black sands beach in Hawaii and it's nothing spectacular. I've been to pink sand beaches of Bermuda, golden sands, red sands, rocky beach, etc; nothing more beautiful than Caribbean shores, with Florida's gulf coast coming close second.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:16 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,712,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Been to beaches all over the world and most of the Caribbean.

Hands down Siesta Key Beach in Sarasota, Florida.
Agreed, Siesta Key is the best beach in the US IMO. The sand texture is unlike anything I've seen: like very fine talcum powder, and as white as talcum powder, and the sands stay cool no matter how hot the sun gets.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:24 PM

4,190 posts, read 4,694,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Been to beaches all over the world and most of the Caribbean.

Hands down Siesta Key Beach in Sarasota, Florida.
Really? It is definitely on my list of places to go.

I heard it's a great place for shelling, right?

Old 04-30-2016, 10:30 PM

4,190 posts, read 4,694,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I have to list several, because each are beautiful for different reasons.

Orient Beach - St Maarten. For me, a classic white sand Caribbean Beach. With cool bars and restaurants behind me, beautiful blue water with all sort of water activities taking place, just classic in my book.

Waikiki Beach - Honolulu, HI. The beauty here is about the iconic view of Diamondhead while standing in the water. There's hotels and the city behind you, and the beach itself is for me a top flight classic tourist beach. But it succeed in every way on that front.

Lanikai Beach - Kailua, HI. Much more serene, less touristy. White sand, blue water. You park in a residential area and walk through a path to the beach. Just something about laying there taking in everything is lasting beauty in my mind.

South Beach - Miami, FL. It's the atmosphere. The nighttime scene. The beach itself. This is a combo deal, where both put together makes for a great experience.

Outer Banks - Rodanthe, NC. THe previous poster mentioned this, and it brought back a great memory. I hooked up my camping trailer and headed there from Boston to camp for 5 days. My site was right in a dune on the beach. It was peaceful. I purchased a kite at Kitty Hawk Kites, had a drink at my trailer, then went out on the beach, put on some music, and flew my kite.
Went to Orient Beach last summer...beautiful. So unfortunate that we were trying to get around to see so much of the island in a short amount of time that we only stayed there for like 2 hours. An hour of which was spent napping on the beach lol.

I'm going to Hawaii in July. I'm glad to hear you thought Waikiki was beautiful because I'm only finding places in Waikiki to stay in on our budget, and I reallllly want to stay in Lanikai instead. I live in Chicago, and wasn't quite sure I wanted to be on a beach with a bunch of buildings as the backdrop, hence my choice of Lanikai.

To be honest I really want to stay on the Big Island and see a beach with black sand...it just looks like that would be so amazing.

Never been to Rodanthe, NC.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:06 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,899,733 times
Outer Banks NC, Christmas Eve, 1976 or 1977. I spent Christmas with a friend's family -- I think it was up around Kitty Hawk. The breakers were full of phosphorescent plankton, and when they broke on the beach it was like a million stars flashing and dying on the sand.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/527413806332099469/

Old 05-01-2016, 12:23 AM

4,903 posts, read 4,185,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
This ^^^^^

No bars, no stores, no resorts, no restaurants, no houses, nothing. Not even a jetty. Just the purest white sands you have ever seen.
It is pretty... But there is nothing to do.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:46 AM

1,188 posts, read 3,466,172 times
The ponk sand beach in Bermuda. Gorgeous soft pink sand, spectacular rock formations, no seaweed, warm middle of the Gulf Stream waters. Swam comfortably in early Dec.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel