U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-05-2016, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
3,201 posts, read 3,195,476 times
Reputation: 2026

Advertisements

My mom and I are going to have a 5 hour layover in San Fran on a Sunday night: landing at 7:50 pm. Departing at 12:37 am Monday 'morning' heading to Chicago.


Is it enough time to do 1 or 2 quick things? I've been to San Fran before but my mother has not. I was thinking dinner for sure but wanted her to actually see something in the city before we return to the airport. Landing at 7:50 pm, I don't really have a clue what that could be (too bad we won't be there earlier in the day...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-05-2016, 10:17 AM
 
Location: East Mt Airy, Philadelphia
1,017 posts, read 1,036,731 times
Reputation: 1791
I went to Google Maps and got typical driving (i.e., taxi/Uber) times for Sunday evenings, SFO -> Fisherman's Wharf. It could be 40 minutes each way (public transit is even longer).

So ... assuming you really do land at 7:50, figure another 15 minutes, minimum, to get from plane to cab stand, 40 minutes each way, plus waiting in security to get back into the terminal - that last one's the big variable these days. But figure 1/2 hour.

Add it up: 15 + 2 x (40) = 95 + 30 @ security = basically 2 hours. You'd still have 3 hours, but if you're coming from overseas, I bet you'd be tired from the flight. Plus you'd be spending the 3 hours (or at least, I would) fretting about traffic going back to SFO, whether the lines will be bad, etc. etc. I'd stay in the terminal, have dinner, walk off the previous flight, and make San Francisco a "trip for another day."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2016, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
3,201 posts, read 3,195,476 times
Reputation: 2026
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
I went to Google Maps and got typical driving (i.e., taxi/Uber) times for Sunday evenings, SFO -> Fisherman's Wharf. It could be 40 minutes each way (public transit is even longer).

So ... assuming you really do land at 7:50, figure another 15 minutes, minimum, to get from plane to cab stand, 40 minutes each way, plus waiting in security to get back into the terminal - that last one's the big variable these days. But figure 1/2 hour.

Add it up: 15 + 2 x (40) = 95 + 30 @ security = basically 2 hours. You'd still have 3 hours, but if you're coming from overseas, I bet you'd be tired from the flight. Plus you'd be spending the 3 hours (or at least, I would) fretting about traffic going back to SFO, whether the lines will be bad, etc. etc. I'd stay in the terminal, have dinner, walk off the previous flight, and make San Francisco a "trip for another day."

I don't totally disagree with you at all. We're stopping in SF from Hawaii by the way. Usually I am type of person though that regrets not 'at least trying' something like this, even if I am dead tired (which, as a chronic insomniac, is the story on my life every single day even without travelling).


I will definitely leave it up to my mom whether she wants to do it or not, but if we have a 1.5 hour (at most) dinner at a decent restaurant and she can walk around for another 30-45 minutes and see something in the city, it would be cool if she's up to it (she's only flown out of her home state once in her life so this would be a very rare thing for her).


With that said, I'd like to have a plan in case we 'do' end up wanting to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2016, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Miami-Jax
6,312 posts, read 6,962,789 times
Reputation: 3502
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
You'd still have 3 hours, but if you're coming from overseas, I bet you'd be tired from the flight.
If they're coming from overseas, they'll have to get bags and go through customs. Even more time lost. I agree...probably not worth leaving the airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2016, 10:26 AM
 
Location: Miami-Jax
6,312 posts, read 6,962,789 times
Reputation: 3502
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
With that said, I'd like to have a plan in case we 'do' end up wanting to leave.
Ah gotcha. Hmm, I'll leave it up to others who know better. My last visit to SF was 2007 lol...although I'll be spending a week there in Sept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2016, 10:31 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
13,343 posts, read 17,395,875 times
Reputation: 19654
I don't recommend you do it because you really only have about 2.5 practical free hours (presuming the plane lands on time, presuming you have no checked bags, presuming you walk quickly) but if you wanted to do it, then catch the Airtrain to the International terminal then catch the BART train to Union Square and grab a bite to eat before doing the reverse to get back to SFO. It's no fun dragging your suitcases through the City, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2016, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
3,201 posts, read 3,195,476 times
Reputation: 2026
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I don't recommend you do it because you really only have about 2.5 practical free hours (presuming the plane lands on time, presuming you have no checked bags, presuming you walk quickly) but if you wanted to do it, then catch the Airtrain to the International terminal then catch the BART train to Union Square and grab a bite to eat before doing the reverse to get back to SFO. It's no fun dragging your suitcases through the City, though.
Well we would definitely be playing it by ear when we land. If we don't have enough time we won't do anything. But I figured it would be enough time for dinner (I'm making reservations just in case) if we do land on time and caught an Uber.


(But this is coming from someone who had a 4 hour layover in Panama and left the airport to take a taxi tour of the historic district in Panama City )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2016, 10:49 AM
 
Location: On the road
2,668 posts, read 1,978,034 times
Reputation: 2911
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
If they're coming from overseas, they'll have to get bags and go through customs. Even more time lost. I agree...probably not worth leaving the airport.
I don't think that you have to go through Customs if you're flying in from Hawaii.
Bags checked in Hawaii should go on through to Chicago.

And that time of night security shouldn't be too bad. But then, you're talking a late night dinner, and taking the train back to the airport around 11 something at night.

Could be risky. Could be fun.

Last edited by LarsMac; 05-05-2016 at 10:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2016, 02:42 PM
 
Location: In the Endless Mountains
18,530 posts, read 1,193,334 times
Reputation: 2421
That lay over is ridiculous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2016, 04:20 PM
 
2,288 posts, read 3,931,622 times
Reputation: 2055
Quote:
Originally Posted by nice2bfree View Post
That lay over is ridiculous!
Thank you for your insight!

OP, it's your mom's call, simple as that. I would definitely do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top