Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 01:46 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times

Advertisements

Looking to take a 8 day trip with my wife to Panama for our first anniversary. I like big cities, she likes small cities with nice beaches. My side of the trip is easy -- Panama City.

Her side of the trip is what is being a bit tricky. From what I've researched, the beaches aren't that good in Panama and you really have to go to the islands.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to spend 4 days of our trip with an island?

Basically looking for an island, relatively close to Panama City that's going to have a nice beach town vibe, clear blue waters, palm tree beaches and interesting enough that we'd be glad to spend 4 days. We would also like to go snorkeling.

Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 05:12 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Looking to take a 8 day trip with my wife to Panama for our first anniversary. I like big cities, she likes small cities with nice beaches. My side of the trip is easy -- Panama City.

Her side of the trip is what is being a bit tricky. From what I've researched, the beaches aren't that good in Panama and you really have to go to the islands.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to spend 4 days of our trip with an island?

Basically looking for an island, relatively close to Panama City that's going to have a nice beach town vibe, clear blue waters, palm tree beaches and interesting enough that we'd be glad to spend 4 days. We would also like to go snorkeling.

Any recommendations?
You got married? And are already celebrating your first anniversary? CONGRATULATIONS!! I got nothing for you about Panama though.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
You got married? And are already celebrating your first anniversary? CONGRATULATIONS!! I got nothing for you about Panama though.
Hahah thank you! And I got married in October. Still have until then for the trip. Haven't been around here in a while

Old 04-24-2016, 07:59 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
I would skip the beach and do the Gamboa resort on the river. Lots to do there. They shot the old Pierce Brosnan movie "the tailor of Panama" there. You can do a tour of the river and the Panama Canal lake. Very pretty with lots of wildlife. The beaches in Panama are just, okay. There are a few all inclusive places near Panama City though.

http://www.vfmii.com/exc/aspquery?co...225&ids=118778

Old 04-25-2016, 03:06 AM

Probably going to skip the all inclusive, not really my scene.

We do have it narrowed down to two areas.

Pedasi and Bocas del Toro. Right now just trying to debate what would be better?

Does anyone have any knowledge of the two?

Old 04-25-2016, 06:14 AM

Bo as Del toro is nice, but it's far from Panama City. It's the best beach area of Panama. Will you rent a car? If so, you Drive and then take a ferry. Lots of people fly or drive there from San Jose, Costa Rica. It's on the border. It's a shorter bus ride from San Jose than from Panama City. (6 hours vs. 10 hours) if you choose to drive, make sure to get the garmin GPS.its probably an 8 plus hour drive. The GPS, It's expensive, but it's easy to get lost in Central America. They don't use signs and address numbers like they do in the US, and often street have the same names. People give directions like.."turn where the yellow house used to be."

The beaches just aren't that great in Panama, besides BDT. However, I've never been to Pedasi. Maybe it's great. I think it's more for surfers, but maybe you want that. The sand is usually darker and so the water unless it's on the Atlantic side. It's not that Caribbean blue I think you are looking for, and some of the photos of Pedasi are either photo shopped or not Panama.

I've heard Isla Iguana is really great, but you can't stay there.

Last edited by Meyerland; 04-25-2016 at 07:30 AM..

Old 04-25-2016, 06:20 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,872,814 times
Avoid the border towns and the Dairen peninsula, both dangerous.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:10 PM

Thanks for the advice.

Set up the trip:

Arriving in Panama City in the evening, staying overnight.

Flight to bocas del toro for 5 days.

Back to Panama City for the last 3 days.

Hotels booked, now for the airline tickets. Thank god they're cheap!

Old 04-26-2016, 07:04 AM

Sounds like a great trip! Enjoy!

Old 04-29-2016, 05:34 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,535,684 times
Bocas del Toro was the first area that sprang to mind. Sounds pretty accessible. I've never been but photos look great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel