Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 10:04 AM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
The selection basis isn't public as far as I'm aware
I can tell you one thing that is and one that isn't..

Is would be under ~14 years old.. Isn't would be someone traveling with someone under ~14 years old.

I flew out with a 13 year old last year.. He was 'expedited' while I wasn't on both legs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 12:31 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,255,842 times
I'll be flying out of Newark on June 21st at 4:00 pm. I have a bus taking me to the airport from another airport that isn't scheduled to arrive at Newark until 2:30 pm. I won't have to check my bags at Newark because they will be checked in at the first airport before I get on the bus, but I'm still worried that that won't be enough time. In the past, 1-1/2 hours was plenty of time to get to the airport, through security and to the gate. Hoping it works out for me. Not much else I can do since I'm at the mercy of the bus.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:45 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Well, right now, security wait time at Newark is between 0-30 minutes for all gates (Some are 0, some are 30).. Since this is approximately the time and day you'd be flying.. That should be a decent rule of thumb.

But.. Traffic.. Having to be at the gate 30 minutes prior.. Possible delay in the flight arriving at other airport.. Probably not something I'd consider in this day and age, but, barring major issues.. It should work out for you.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:01 PM

Thanks much for your input.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:15 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times
I've convinced myself that I get pre check so often because I'm cute and engaging - don't ruin this for me!

Also, every time I'm in line at TSA I fantasize about them splitting the line into those who know how to TSA and those who don't

Old 05-24-2016, 07:12 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I did a trip last week, and another two weeks before. Every time, I got TSA Pre-Check and have never paid for it. It saved me 1.5-2 hours in Seattle, but in smaller airports like McCarran Las Vegas and Long Beach CA there were no long lines to worry about. Choose your flight times and airports carefully and avoid peak times/days.
Small airports usually have very few issues. You get through everything pretty quickly.

I will say I flew out of JFK (international) on a Saturday morning and from walking in the door to getting to my terminal took less than thirty minutes. I didn't have any bags to check but I will say I love when they bring the dog out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
I think that passengers are at least 50% of the reason there are long lines. Most passengers aren't prepared to efficiently get through security screenings. I see people having to take off belts, earrings and other jewelry. They have to go back to take off a jacket and put it on the belt. They have to untie their shoes, and then dig in their bags to pull out liquids or a laptop. Then they throw something in the bin with their laptop and it has to be taken out and re-screened or something is forgotten in their bag and it has to go back through the machine. Then there are those that are slow in getting their items and then try to repack everything right away when they should be getting out of the way so that the next person can get their items. I think that if more people were better prepared to go through security we would see lines move faster
I don't think people always know what to do because they're always changing things around. For example, my husband and I got on a line to get through security and in the process of waiting, they brought out the dog, so the people before the dog came out still had to take off their stuff and take out their stuff. Meanwhile, anyone who walked by the dog didn't have to do anything but roll their bag up and onto the scanner. But after we walked by the dog, people were like, "Wait, do I still have to take off my shoes? Do I need to take my laptop out?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosanne View Post
I'll be flying out of Newark on June 21st at 4:00 pm. I have a bus taking me to the airport from another airport that isn't scheduled to arrive at Newark until 2:30 pm. I won't have to check my bags at Newark because they will be checked in at the first airport before I get on the bus, but I'm still worried that that won't be enough time. In the past, 1-1/2 hours was plenty of time to get to the airport, through security and to the gate. Hoping it works out for me. Not much else I can do since I'm at the mercy of the bus.
Newark is pretty small. You'll be fine.

Old 06-17-2016, 05:29 AM

Default Anyone have an update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosanne View Post
Hi again, does anyone have an update on how the TSA lines are moving, particularly at Newark? We'll be flying out on Tuesday at 4:00 pm and we're just wondering if the lines have gotten any better (and hopefully not worse). Also, we'll be flying out of Phoenix on July 5th, so any information on that airport's lines would be appreciated too. Thanks much!

Old 06-17-2016, 09:07 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
As of April 2016 Phoenix terminal 3 did not have TSA lines for getting through the airport.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:24 PM

Default Reporting back on airport checkpoint lines

Hi all, I have returned from my trip and it went very well. I went through security checkpoints at four different airports - Newark, San Francisco, Orange County & Phoenix, and I never had to wait for more than 5-10 minutes, and I think that's because we were sent through the TSA Pre-Check lines. For some reason, at all of those airports, my boarding pass said TSA Pre-Check. The same thing happened when we travelled last year, but I'm not sure why. Believe me, I'm not complaining, but can someone tell me how they choose which people to let go through the Pre-Check line?

Anyway, the airport parts of our trip were uneventful, which to me was a great trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel