Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 03:47 PM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health and peace!" (set 9 days ago)

43,451 posts, read 44,172,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
I'm ashamed to admit I've flown my whole life, having come from an airline family. When my fiancé passed away a few years ago I promised myself I would travel to Europe by myself. I'm honestly terrified, of being alone abroad....has anyone got any tips/suggestions for me? I'm a 32yo female
I would stick to traveling to where there always many people so as not feel isolated and use the same precautions you would do outside when doing things alone especially late at night, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 11:01 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,614,866 times
Wow, thank you so much everyone!

I'm afraid because I consider myself extroverted but have a hard time initiating a conversation with a stranger.

I'm a single female and that brings it's own set of safety concerns

I can't drive a stick but moreover I had a VERY difficult time driving in Ireland; between driving on the opposite side of the rd and the amount of 8 way roundabouts, I was (somehow not literally)a wreck. Aforementioned late fiancé did the driving

Old 05-27-2016, 06:12 AM

181 posts, read 492,661 times
Traveling alone is great. I started traveling alone at 26. I find that when I'm alone, it's easier to talk to people because you have to. No one else to do it for you. When you travel alone, other people find it easier to talk to you than they would if you're part of a couple. You'll experience the kindness of strangers beyond measure. When I travel anywhere, people seem to be extra nice to me and seem to look out for me a lot, maybe because I'm a woman, and especially now that I'm in my 60s and have a little gray hair. I, too have a hard time initiating conversation with strangers, but oddly enough, only when I'm at home in the USA!! When I travel, it's much easier.

When you travel alone, you'll experience the joy of having everything your own way. No compromises needed. Don't worry. You'll have a great time.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:22 AM

5,802 posts, read 11,848,319 times
Traveling alone is a nightmare. I did it once or twice, it's the only time I was depressed when traveling. I don't see the advantage, save if you have to stay focused on a job like photography or writing.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:07 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,878,889 times
Traveling alone is the best! It is the most free you will ever be in your life.

You are not accountable to anyone but yourself. You can spend your time exactly as you desire--no compromises with a travel companion. Even if you get along fantastically with someone, you won't always have the exact same desires for what to see or eat or do at any given moment. When it's just you, your whims are all that matter.

Another huge advantage is that when you are among only strangers you have no reason to be inhibited. You never have to see or hear from any of these people ever again if you don't want to. No one has any preconceived notions about who you are or how you behave; nobody to say "Jane would never skydive" or "but Jane is always so quiet" or "Jane is just a party girl with no substance." You can be whomever you want that day, and if you like you can be someone completely different the next when you are surrounded by a new crowd of strangers. And when you travel solo, you have no choice but to venture out of your own little bubble and meet new people. A travel companion can be a social buffer and therefore an impediment to new interactions.

I am never lonely when I travel alone. I like to stay with locals whenever I can, or at the very least stay in accommodations where I am likely to meet other travelers. And if I met someone interesting, I would have the freedom to travel with them for a few days if we wanted.

I am slightly younger than you, OP, and I am also female. Frankly, the safety concerns are way overblown. Keep your wits about you and you will be fine. It's the same world inhabited by the same general sorts of people whether we are talking about your home town or a country on the other side of the world.

Finally, don't worry about renting a car and driving. Most places have trains or buses, and if not there are always taxis. Public transportation is another great way to meet new people.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:21 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,677,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Traveling alone is a nightmare. I did it once or twice, it's the only time I was depressed when traveling. I don't see the advantage, save if you have to stay focused on a job like photography or writing.
I used to think traveling alone will be miserable, until my japan trip where my friend ditched me at the last minute. I have to say it didn't affect my enjoyment of Japan at all.

I prefer traveling solo when visiting European cities, because too many people want to rush things and just want to see the most famous stuff. They feel bored if there is not a large landmark on the guidebook to see. So gradually I lean toward visiting Europe just by myself.

There are other place which are suitable to see in groups, mostly the pure nature landscape in other parts of the world. For example, I am glad to have companies when visiting Yellowstone, Galapagos and Torres del paine. I would have been quite lonely if I were alone. Will go to see Machu Picchu by myself soon because I can't find someone to go with, and let's see how that goes.

Old 05-27-2016, 04:27 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,053,397 times
Forgot to add that I always pack everything all black and use two Hermes scarves to accessorize.

Also, a roll of silver duct tape can save you life. Need a hem? Iron the tape inside your pants. Suitcase explode? Wrap it in duct tape until you can get home. Lint for the all black? Roll with the duct tape.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:50 PM

26,181 posts, read 21,477,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Forgot to add that I always pack everything all black and use two Hermes scarves to accessorize.

Also, a roll of silver duct tape can save you life. Need a hem? Iron the tape inside your pants. Suitcase explode? Wrap it in duct tape until you can get home. Lint for the all black? Roll with the duct tape.

Hermes and duct tape together? Rarely used in the same conversation

Old 05-28-2016, 12:54 AM

23,769 posts, read 28,950,682 times
reading the thread title, my initial recommendation was "don't shower"

Old 05-28-2016, 01:45 AM

13,273 posts, read 8,390,488 times
Europe is vast. Some countries are less welcoming. learn some customs. get a translation app!

keep in touch with a home contact.have check in pts.

Hustling is second nature..

Learn the customs and phrases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel