Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 06:27 AM

20 posts, read 17,391 times

Advertisements

When I travel oversees I see so many interesting people. I take lots of pictures when I travel but usually they are of buildings and scenery. What is really interesting about foreign travel is the people. I wish I would have stopped the people and asked if it was alright to take their picture. But maybe that would upset them. Or maybe it would be a compliment. Who knows.

If a traveler from oversees stopped you in America and asked to take a picture of you, how would you respond?

How about asking them if I could take their picture and offer them money for the rights?

Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 06:30 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Sorry, but I would find that extremely creepy, even moreso if there was an offer of money.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:37 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,008,872 times
I never did that but once I asked a guy to take a photo of me and that guys ran away with my camera so ....

Old 06-08-2016, 07:06 AM

215 posts, read 370,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old duffer View Post
When I travel oversees I see so many interesting people. I take lots of pictures when I travel but usually they are of buildings and scenery. What is really interesting about foreign travel is the people. I wish I would have stopped the people and asked if it was alright to take their picture. But maybe that would upset them. Or maybe it would be a compliment. Who knows.

If a traveler from oversees stopped you in America and asked to take a picture of you, how would you respond?

How about asking them if I could take their picture and offer them money for the rights?

Ideas?
I would appreciate being asked, but I wouldn't pose for a picture. I would question the intent.
If you are merely a traveler taking pictures for your own enjoyment you may take pics of people in public places, as long as you don't harass them or invade their privacy. Their acceptance of money should not be misconstrued as a contract. A model release is needed if you ever use the photo commercially.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:13 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,000,696 times
I have never asked to take someone's picture. However many times when I saw someone taking a group picture I have offered to take the picture so that person could also be in the picture

Old 06-08-2016, 09:23 AM

181 posts, read 493,437 times
I've been doing this for decades. If I can take a photo from afar without someone seeing me and it's unintrusive, I do it without asking. If I want to take a closeup photo, I'll ask permission first. Most of the time, I get a yes. I've learned a few icebreakers along the way. If I'm in a shop and the shopkeeper is interesting, I'll buy something first, even if it's something small. Then I chat with them a bit, ask for a photo, and usually he or she will say yes. If I see a total stranger on the street who looks interesting, I'll try to talk to them first. I will compliment them and tell them I like what they're wearing. They will often be flattered at the attention and say yes to a photo. Children will often trip over themselves to get their photos taken, at least in the countries I've visited.

If I'm in a less developed country and am in a village where most of the people are poor, I'll often give a tip in exchange for a photo. It is usually gratefully accepted.

You might as well ask. The worst that could happen is they say no, and you're no worse off than before. The best that could happen is you first strike up an interesting conversation, then get a photo and come away with a nice memory.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:29 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
I just take pictures of everything I like. Never ask for permission, unless it's private setting, like a store, building interior, malls, a private event etc. Everything else what is visible/accessible for the public (streets, parks, buildings exteriors, public events, landscapes etc) doesn't need anyone's permission. It might wary from country to country, but generally that's photographers right.
You should get familiar with this document:
http://www.krages.com/ThePhotographersRight.pdf
Outside the US, check the local laws.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:02 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old duffer View Post

Ideas?
I've done it plenty. But usually I spend a little time interacting with them first, then when I ask they almost never say no. If they don't speak English I might just smile and gesture with my camera.

Occasionally in public or crowded areas I'll sneak a few with my zoom lens. But in dicey areas, with possible drug dealers or prostitutes who wouldn't want to be photographed, I don't.

With people who appear to be homeless, I may well offer them cash and sometimes they ask. And sometimes people ask for a copy of the photo, so I'll take their emails and promise to send them digital copies, they are usually delighted to hear back from me.

The most difficult are the nubile young females, they know their looks have such value that they may not want to give a pic away for free or at all. And they are less likely to engage with strangers anyway so...

Different countries have different levels of comfort re: photos. The more urban/modern, the less willing to be photographed.

I'm sure as hell not travelling the world to take selfies or put my companion(s) in every frame, those are the worst travel photos of all. And the more walking and talking I do, the better my photos are.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:05 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,034 times
Kind of along these lines, when I look at all of our past family pictures, you occasionally see random people in the background. They are not the subject of your picture, but just were there, or walked into your picture frame when you pushed the button.

I always wonder who they were, where they were from, and their life story. Same thing applies when I see someone taking a picture and I realize I'm going to be an unknown person in their photo album. Where will be image be stored for the next 100 years. How many people will look at that picture and wonder who I am etc....

I don't know, strange perhaps, but it's just the way my mind works.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:36 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
[quote=Gypsy-Moth;44339954]I've been doing this for decades. If I can take a photo from afar without someone seeing me and it's unintrusive, I do it without asking. If I want to take a closeup photo, I'll ask permission first. Most of the time, I get a yes. I've learned a few icebreakers along the way. If I'm in a shop and the shopkeeper is interesting, I'll buy something first, even if it's something small. Then I chat with them a bit, ask for a photo, and usually he or she will say yes. If I see a total stranger on the street who looks interesting, I'll try to talk to them first. I will compliment them and tell them I like what they're wearing. They will often be flattered at the attention and say yes to a photo. Children will often trip over themselves to get their photos taken, at least in the countries I've visited.

If I'm in a less developed country and am in a village where most of the people are poor, I'll often give a tip in exchange for a photo. It is usually gratefully accepted.

You might as well ask. The worst that could happen is they say no, and you're no worse off than before. The best that could happen is you first strike up an interesting conversation, then get a photo and come away with a nice memory.

I rarely take pictures of people but one comes to mind in Cozumel. We were walking around and I saw a mother and a baby and her mother by the door to their house. We stopped and talked to them for awhile and I just snapped a picture. They smiled and didn't object. It still sparks a fond memory of a pleasant exchange between strangers that made a connection.

I really do prefer scenery shots though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel