U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 06-09-2016, 04:52 PM
 
Location: Arizona
448 posts, read 496,371 times
Reputation: 962

Advertisements

I am flying next week and just renewed my driver's license photo. I have a "temporary credential" issued by the MVD (motor vehicle department) which is a paper document with the front and back of my new license on it. I still have my old license. Nothing changed except my photo. So I'm assuming to bring both and my birth certificate? Will I get through TSA? Anyone have experience with this? Thank you
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-10-2016, 01:09 AM
 
Location: Silver Spring, MD
1,340 posts, read 1,196,030 times
Reputation: 1566
you shouldn't have a problem. I have gotten through TSA with no ID twice. Once I didn't have anything but a frequent flyer card with no picture and the other time I had a photocopy of my birth certificate and they asked if I had anything else on me with my name and I was able to produce a prescription bottle and they let me through. The last time was about 3 or 4 years ago.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2016, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Arizona
448 posts, read 496,371 times
Reputation: 962
Thank you very much for the information! On their website for TSA precheck docs it say it's fine with it plus something else with my name and address, but you never know. Each airport is different it seems.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2016, 11:29 AM
 
Location: OH>IL>CO>CT
5,840 posts, read 9,383,388 times
Reputation: 8293
There is this in TSA's FAQs:
"I forgot my identification; can I still proceed through security screening?
In the event you arrive at the airport without proper ID, because it is lost or at home, you may still be allowed to fly. By providing additional information, TSA has other ways to confirm your identity, like using publicly available databases, so you can reach your flight."

Just be prepared with extra time to deal with any delays.

Good Luck........
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2016, 07:00 PM
 
Location: World
3,952 posts, read 3,811,375 times
Reputation: 2647
I remember showing them my Credit Card once and they let me thru. But it was way back in 2005. I carry proper documentation always while travelling.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2016, 04:30 PM
 
Location: Arizona
448 posts, read 496,371 times
Reputation: 962
Just an update after my travel: At Phoenix Sky Harbor airport, I couldn't go through TSA precheck. The girl was very nice and I explained my temporary, showed my new/old license, a credit card and even my CCW. I was turned over to another guy who told me my license was expired. I told him no, only my photo which is why I had the paper temporary license. He let me go through-but not pre-check.
In Portland I got through just showing my original license that the photo was expired. He didn't even want to see the temporary.
You would think that every airport would have the same rules, but they don't.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2016, 05:42 PM
 
20,893 posts, read 15,192,613 times
Reputation: 16180
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS4EVER View Post
Just an update after my travel: At Phoenix Sky Harbor airport, I couldn't go through TSA precheck. The girl was very nice and I explained my temporary, showed my new/old license, a credit card and even my CCW. I was turned over to another guy who told me my license was expired. I told him no, only my photo which is why I had the paper temporary license. He let me go through-but not pre-check.
In Portland I got through just showing my original license that the photo was expired. He didn't even want to see the temporary.
You would think that every airport would have the same rules, but they don't.


How did your photo expire but the license it was on did not?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2016, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Arizona
448 posts, read 496,371 times
Reputation: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
How did your photo expire but the license it was on did not?
Here in Arizona our driver's license don't expire for about 25 years. Crazy, I know. Back in 2005 our then Governor Napolitano banned the new implementation of the new driver's license because it looked too much like a "national I.D. card". So Arizona was granted an extension and we didn't have to comply. Now our current Governor reversed the ban, so now everyone has to get a new photo which is basically getting a new license. Now we have to renew our "photo" every 8 years instead of 12. My license expires in 2026.

And I procrastinated for 5 months and went and got my new photo 5 days before my flight, so I created my own hassle
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2016, 02:35 PM
 
9,399 posts, read 10,231,618 times
Reputation: 8526
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS4EVER View Post
Here in Arizona our driver's license don't expire for about 25 years. Crazy, I know. Back in 2005 our then Governor Napolitano banned the new implementation of the new driver's license because it looked too much like a "national I.D. card". So Arizona was granted an extension and we didn't have to comply. Now our current Governor reversed the ban, so now everyone has to get a new photo which is basically getting a new license. Now we have to renew our "photo" every 8 years instead of 12. My license expires in 2026.

And I procrastinated for 5 months and went and got my new photo 5 days before my flight, so I created my own hassle


They actually don't expire until you are 65! So, you can go longer than 25 years depending on your age. My friends from out of state don't believe me when I tell them mine doesn't expire until 2037, so I have to show them to prove it.


When I lived in another state I was able to fly just fine with my paper temporary driver's license. I was heading to Vegas and the only person that had an issue was a cashier at a liquor store who sold to me but said "make sure you have a real ID next time" even after I explained to her that WAS my real ID.
__________________
My posts as moderator will be in red.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top