Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 05:33 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,471,169 times

Advertisements

I've used online booking with no problems except when I went through my AAA account which promised me a discount but the discount didn't show up online when I got to checkout. I went through the process at least 5 times. No luck. Thinking it would be credited at the hotel maybe when I arrived at my hotel, I was sadly mistaken and they had no knowledge of it. I wrote AAA regarding the error and never received a response. I am not going to renew AAA unless the error is corrected. Just don't use any AAA discounts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 06:52 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Opaque booking sites get a bad rap.. Now, it sounds like for you,.. They're a good deal. Though, I will say, I rarely use them because often I need a specific area and I know NOT to use them when I need a specific area.

Also.. you tell Priceline a 3 star hotel.. Listen, I've seen some nasty and scary "3 star" priceline/hotwire hotels. A hotel down the road from where I work was rated as 3 stars shortly before it was condemned. Not kidding in the least about that. It was three stars, then dumped to 2.5 by the time it was condemned because the health department shut the restaurant down.

Greenville County hotel condemned for several reasons | Local News - WYFF Home

Clarion Hotel Greenville, Greenville, SC, United States Overview | priceline.com

I have used Priceline and Hotwire 250+ times since May 2002 and have had exactly one bad hotel over that time. In that particular hotel, the hotel had issues with an electrical outlet arcing. When we complained, Priceline comped the ENTIRE three day stay. If you book DIRECTLY with hotels, there is NO guarantee that won't encounter much worse.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:52 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
I've used online booking with no problems except when I went through my AAA account which promised me a discount but the discount didn't show up online when I got to checkout. I went through the process at least 5 times. No luck. Thinking it would be credited at the hotel maybe when I arrived at my hotel, I was sadly mistaken and they had no knowledge of it. I wrote AAA regarding the error and never received a response. I am not going to renew AAA unless the error is corrected. Just don't use any AAA discounts.
Simple solution: Book the AAA rate on the hotel's own website. You'll get a confirmation in writing from the hotel. Don't use the AAA booking site.

I don't often use 3rd party sites as I generally find the AAA rates booked directly through the hotel site to be cheaper.

There have been exceptions like Priceline and LastMinuteTravel.com when you join their club (which is actually free). Those 'club only' prices have been remarkably less expensive on several occasiins and are NOT limited to last minute bookings. In fact, booking months in advance offers more hotel choices. Not all bookings are refundable, but MOST are.

I ALWAYS check https://www.lmtclub.com first, then compare to the hotel website.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:32 AM

4,713 posts, read 3,471,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Simple solution: Book the AAA rate on the hotel's own website. You'll get a confirmation in writing from the hotel. Don't use the AAA booking site.

I don't often use 3rd party sites as I generally find the AAA rates booked directly through the hotel site to be cheaper.

There have been exceptions like Priceline and LastMinuteTravel.com when you join their club (which is actually free). Those 'club only' prices have been remarkably less expensive on several occasiins and are NOT limited to last minute bookings. In fact, booking months in advance offers more hotel choices. Not all bookings are refundable, but MOST are.

I ALWAYS check https://www.lmtclub.com first, then compare to the hotel website.
Thank you. I will remember this for future reference.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:06 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I often check with hotel, but usually cheaper via agoda. It is all automated and uses your stored profile and payment.
Same experience. We usually book on 3rd party site for two days then extend depending on how much we like it and how long we'll be staying. I almost always try to get a better deal prices on extending talking with the owner/manager and while have occasionally gotten a better deal usually the price is about the same or higher in person. Even if same price I'll go through a 3rd party site since would rather pay them than have yet another random person in random country handling my credit card.

For everyone saying hotwire vs. agoda vs. expedian etc. try here: trivago: search & compare hotel prices from 333+ booking sites

It compares prices from the major 3rd party sites, makes it easy. Note = hotels.com has that thing where every 10 stays you get a free night (for avg price of the ten) so take that into consideration when comparing. $70/night at hotels.com is a better deal than $67/night at agoda if you travel enough to cash in your reward stays.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:48 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I usually go to Kayak or any number of other sites, but then I go directly to the hotel or airlines website and book directly. I find that the cancellation policies are better if you deal direct.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:09 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
Depends on where I am staying as another person said. When I got to Vegas I call the hotel directly and get a cheaper rate that way. Many hotels also don't give all available rooms to the 3rd party sites so third party may ay sold out, but hotel directly has rooms.

For other destinations I use Orbitz and have had no issues. They worked with me easily when a flight I had changed, and I earn Orbitz credit that can be used on a future booking. I do check the major third party sites to compare, and all come in about the same.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:17 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
I do not use Expedia anymore. I noticed their customer service had really gone downhill the past 5 years or so. I couldn't get a rep on the phone, they would hang up on me, they wouldn't honor their agreement, etc. . . I don't book hotels as much. I prefer booking cabin/condos/apartments through Air B&B and VRBO. My wife and I can get a whole condo or house to rent for the same price as a hotel room. It offers a lot of privacy and much more room for the same price. We've always had great experiences with them, and they have buyer protections.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:28 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
I haven't used them because, in the past at least, they would not let you specify a non-smoking room.

I just booked a hotel overseas and on every website, every travel site, and on the hotel's own website, room prices were exactly the same. I did book through a travel site, but only because I could pre-pay in dollars to pay for the room and bypass the worries about exchange rates (I hope).

Old 06-21-2016, 11:05 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,701,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Direct with the hotel for me.

1. There are often amenities you get included if you book direct (commonly wifi access, sometimes breakfast) that you have to pay extra for if you book third party.

2. If you discover one hotel chain meets your needs the majority of the time, it's rare to earn loyalty points or get status perks when booking through a third party site. In our case, it makes sense to be loyal to (and keep mid-level status with) Holiday Inn/IHG because there are a lot of chances to get bonus points and free nights when you book with them directly. And getting the odd comped room upgrade also requires a direct booking on the IHG web site.

Agreed with this.

Also, if you find you have an issue with your reservation, if you have booked directly with the hotel, then they will deal with it. if you booked through a third party, then the hotel will usually make you resolve it with whoever you booked through.

I know someone who has worked in the hospitality industry for a while at several hotels in Vegas and Florida. They have told me that, when assigning rooms, those who book directly usually get priority over those who booked via a third party site (one available room is on the ground floor, facing the parking lot, next to the ice machine and the other is on the top floor with a fabulous view - the latter will go to the party that booked direct). Granted, these were resort properties, not more run-of-the-mill properties like a Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn, etc. In short, it seems like those who book via a discount, third-party site tend to get treated as being a rung or two down the ladder compared to a direct customer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel