Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2016, 05:06 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times

Advertisements

If any of you would care to share any travel advice you have about Denmark, I would appreciate it.

I'm only going to be there a couple of days. Flight into Copenhagen and I think I will buy a Eurail pass. There is a train station right inside the airport.

I am going to the Holstebro/ Struer area. Does anyone have a motel they can recommend near Copenhagen and near the railroad? How difficult is it to find a grocery store? Is the a mega market like Mammoth in France? Unfortunately, I've got food allergies which makes eating while traveling tough, so it helps if I can buy food at a grocery store instead of restaurants.

The train goes through Odense. Is it worth allowing a couple of hours to sightsee there?

I can't figure out whether or not I need train reservations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 04:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Just was there a month go. How long will you be there?
Trains run frequent, no reservations required.
Tourist passes are good for regional trains and buses (buy and print before you go, exchange for pass at airport)
Train is not expensive, so you can buy single trip tickets (tourist passes include many attractionsa / museums / canal tour...)
I doubt if eurail would be cost effective in Denmark. (if it is even accepted)
Trains fun diect to Sweden as well.

Bike when possible (can rent at train stations)
Plenty of supermarkets, but they close early, especially on Sunday

We stayed at a $20/ night guest home, <1 blk to railway station (2nd stop beyond central). <30 min from airport, including transfer. There should be plenty of Air BnB, ours let us use their bikes and provided lots of guidance and a very 'granola / health food' breakfast, plus lunch supplies ( meat, cheese, bread, fruit, veggies) ( can take bike on train)

Tivoli is included in Tourist pass, it is quite nice (flowers & entertainment) and fun at night.

Get an app for buses, it would be very handy to know where they are going....and when to get off!

Old 06-18-2016, 06:50 PM

605 posts, read 669,143 times
StealthRabbit pretty much covered anything else that I was going to say.

There is a mall (Field's which is supposedly the largest mall in Denmark) that is relatively close to the airport right by the Ørestad metro/train station. It not only has a hotel nearby (Cabinn) but also contains Bilka which is a Danish hypermarket chain similar to Walmart or Carrefour. That being said there are grocery stores everywhere (major chains are Aldi, Netto, and føtex) so finding a supermarket should not be a problem.

If you are planning on visiting Copenhagen I would just recommend getting the Copenhagen Card as it covers not only all attractions/points of interest but it also covers public transit in/around Copenhagen (inc. Busses, Metro, S-Tog, etc). Eurail passes are not worth it in my experience if you are only traveling within Denmark or neighboring Sweden.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:05 AM

There is a Denmark only 3 day train pass that cost the same as one trip from Copenhagen to Holstebro. I can use it for 3 days and do a little sight seeing. It is a Eurail pass. No, I wouldn't buy the pass that is good for all of Europe; that is considerably more money.

Old 06-28-2016, 04:36 PM

246 posts, read 649,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The train goes through Odense. Is it worth allowing a couple of hours to sightsee there?
Instead of Odense, if you have time, I'd suggest taking a side trip to Roskilde and see the vikingeskibsmuseet. Its Denmark's viking museum which made news in the 60's for discovery of a lot of viking ship remains. They have a lot of artifacts and I remember seeing a sunstone. This was the biggest highlight of my trip to Copenhagen.

You catch a train direct from Copenhagen. Then there is a lovely half hour stroll to the museum at the lake.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:49 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
If you are not allergic to pork, apples or onions you should try Æbleflæsk! Enjoy the trip.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_traveler1 View Post
Instead of Odense, if you have time, I'd suggest taking a side trip to Roskilde and see the vikingeskibsmuseet. Its Denmark's viking museum which made news in the 60's for discovery of a lot of viking ship remains. They have a lot of artifacts and I remember seeing a sunstone. This was the biggest highlight of my trip to Copenhagen.

You catch a train direct from Copenhagen. Then there is a lovely half hour stroll to the museum at the lake.
That sounds good. I'll look on the map and see if it is on my way. I'd be interested in seeing long ship remains and a sunstone. Better than a statue of a mermaid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel