Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 01:48 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
One trick I've learned with the roomette's is to book the price further on down the line, and ride the coach until then and than switch to the room.

For example: You are traveling from New York to Anniston, Alabama (I believe that's a stop on the Crescent). Try to switch to the roomette somewhere in Virginia, and take the coach seat until that stop you are switching.
will have to check into this as well...are there any issues with getting your bags to the roomette after the upgrade or are they still stored in the baggage area and inaccessible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 03:41 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Supply and demand. Just like plane fares, they offer a few very discounted seats, once they are gone it goes to the next price.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:33 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
AMTRAK is NOT expensive. Coach from Boston to SF is something like $220. Roomette is under $500 and includes your meals. AMTAK has its limitations but prices are not unreasonable.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:39 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,004,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
will have to check into this as well...are there any issues with getting your bags to the roomette after the upgrade or are they still stored in the baggage area and inaccessible.
If checking bags I am guessing you will have to check them thru to your final destination. Most stops are just long enough to get the passengers on and off. I suppose there is a chance your room attendant might go fetch your bags while under way. Another option is to carry on your luggage and store it in the luggage area in the coach car. Then when you move to the roomette just bring your bags with you. However I will add there is next to no room to store your bags in the roomette. The sleeper cars do have a baggage storage area but it is unsecure. Anyone can access it at any time.

I just bring a small day pack and check my suitcase. Be advised checked baggage service is not available at all stops.

I am not familiar with the roomettes on the East coast trains. The trains heading West out of Chicago use a double deck superliner car. I have had a roomette on these trains several times. They claim that 2 people can ride in the roomette. However while sitting you are sharing the same foot space. When sleeping one person has to climb up into a pull down bunk. When the seats are made into the lower bunk there is just enough room to stand to get dressed. If you have big feet like me you might have to curl your toes while standing. When the attendant makes up your bed for the night he/she slides the seats together and then places a mattress on top. I now don't have the room made up for sleeping. I just slide the seats together and skip the mattress. That way if I need to get up in the middle of the night I just slide the seats back so that I have more room to stand. The superliner roomettes do not have bathrooms or showers. There is an airline style bathroom on the upper deck and a couple more on the lower deck. There is also a shower on the lower deck. Every train I have been on the room attendants do a good job keeping them clean.

Old 06-25-2016, 02:47 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
AMTRAK is NOT expensive. Coach from Boston to SF is something like $220. Roomette is under $500 and includes your meals. AMTAK has its limitations but prices are not unreasonable.

And it ONLY takes 3 1/2 days ... and that is assuming that the rail service that is going on between Boston and Albany does not make you miss your connection in Chicago.

Old 06-25-2016, 03:31 PM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
All of your meals are included in the Roomette price which adds a substantial sum. You have privacy and security for your "stuff". An attendant, sometimes chatty and personable, takes care of your needs and monitors car access to some degree. Your bed is prepared by the attendant who also keeps a pot of coffee on in the car's entry space. If you are travelling alone in a Roomette it is expensive but you are paying for two rations of food so pig out...the food is pretty good, generally, and much better than anything on a plane.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:02 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Yes, taxpayers do subsidize Greyhound because they build and maintain the roads they use. That's why it makes sense for taxpayers to subsidize railroads.
Not to dwell on the topic...but no they are not subsidized. Yes I've heard that argument before but Greyhound pays for roads out of there own pocket like we the taxpayers do - income tax and gas tax that in turn help fund the state and federal governments. The money for Amtrak goes to Amtrak, no appropriation is made to Greyhound. In fact, it could be argued that Greyhound, like us, also pay for Amtrak (via income tax). Ironic.

Old 06-26-2016, 01:06 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
I think a train has more staff than an airplane.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:54 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,667,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Technically.. Yes. Gas tax. Which, Greyhound would pay as well when they fill up the buses.

Yes.. We're splitting hairs a bit here, but.. You are paying to drive on public roads.
As more and more electric vehicles enter our roads this model will not be sustainable since they will cause wear and tear of the roads without paying a portion in gas tax for its maintenance.

with increasing Teslas entering the roads of California which at present allows them to use the HOV lanes, expect that state as the first in the nation to adopt a different system for road tax.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:03 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
As more and more electric vehicles enter our roads this model will not be sustainable since they will cause wear and tear of the roads without paying a portion in gas tax for its maintenance.

with increasing Teslas entering the roads of California which at present allows them to use the HOV lanes, expect that state as the first in the nation to adopt a different system for road tax.
In Georgia Electric cars pay a $200 tax in place of the Gas tax, Also pay sales tax on the electicty we use.

The $200 is estamated to be 4x what a gas car would pay in a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel