Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 02:19 PM

239 posts, read 722,170 times

Advertisements

Ok I haven't been on a airplane yet, but my question is when heading back from a trip to home for an example. Do you have to check out similar to how you have to check in? If so how? I'm just trying to how the whole process works when heading back, would I have to see a travel agent? I know how the process works getting to the final destination, just trying to see how it works heading back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 03:00 PM

736 posts, read 860,559 times
Most people buy their tickets online. That is an "E-ticket". 24 hrs before your flight, go online to the airlines website and check in, print your boarding pass, or send it to your phone. If you send it to your phone, make sure you save it, because one time my husband didn't have service for some reason when he was boarding. He finally got it to show on his phone, but what a nervous moment.

This is the same procedure for returning flights. You have to have a boarding pass coming and going.

Old 06-26-2016, 04:13 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,085,354 times
The process on your return flight will be the same as your outbound flight.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:12 PM

13,259 posts, read 22,695,732 times
Under most circumstances, you will have purchased a round trip ticket, so you've already taken care of getting the ticket for the return home as well as the way out of town. (Round trip tickets have historically been cheaper than buying two one way tickets for assorted reasons probably a bit boring to go into.)

How much contact you have with airline employees depends on several things- are you checking a bag? Are you checking in for your flight at the customer service counter, or are you doing so online and then either sending your boarding pass to a cell phone or printing out the boarding pass at an automated kiosk? Unless it's an airline that charges me to print out a boarding pass at the airport (a few very low cost airlines do this) I always like to have a paper one printed out at the kiosk because phones and phone scanners can have technical problems, and if your original scheduled flight has problems and requires the airline to rebook you, there are times when you have a paper record of what the original flight was supposed to be can be helpful. (Once the customer service person aka Gate Agent starts tapping on their keyboard, information on your original route gets overwritten and it takes one of their supervisors to access your original flight routing)

If you are flying to an international destination, expect to have to show your passport and any travel visas to multiple airline employees. An airline can face a large fine if they fly a passenger to a country and that passenger is refused entry at immigration, so they're pretty careful about making sure you're going to be allowed into a destination country.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:21 AM

4,836 posts, read 11,961,640 times
Same exact process from the first flight to the return flight.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:52 AM

16,351 posts, read 12,336,180 times
There is not "check out" when flying. You check in up to 24 hours before your flight in order to get your boarding pass. You use your boarding pass to go through security and to board the flight. Once your flight lands, all you have to do is get off the plane and go about your way.

You haven't flown before, so it's important to know ... the departure time of your flight is the time that it is scheduled to take off. That means boarding begins around 30 minutes before that departure time. You need to be sure to be at the gate no less than 15 minutes prior to the departure time, or else you may lose your seat if the plane has been over sold.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:20 AM

13,259 posts, read 22,695,732 times
For a first time flyer going out of Atlanta, I'd plan on arriving 90-120 minutes before scheduled departure in order to get through security and find your correct departure gate. Atlanta's airport actually has a very logical and straightforward layout, but it's huge and some gates require a long walk from the central 'plane train' area.

If you have any questions at the airport, say it's your first time flying as you talk to the airline employee/tsa screener. There is an assumption that everyone's gone through the process ten times before, everyone knows what steps they're supposed to be doing, and someone who doesn't follow the rules is doing so out of arrogance rather than ignorance. People get nicer when you plead ignorance.

TSA rules for carry on items and such-

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/travel-tips

Old 07-03-2016, 05:04 PM

Bump!

Old 07-03-2016, 06:44 PM

16,351 posts, read 12,336,180 times
Why the bump? I believe your question has been answered. Are you looking for more?

Old 07-03-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Why the bump? I believe your question has been answered. Are you looking for more?
Yea some good answers, if I'm going inbound flight what's the first that I do? I know I would have to give my bags to an agent what do I do after that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel