Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 10:58 PM

733 posts, read 602,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceira View Post
Perfect

@ Bayesian I figured their 5 star rating wouldn't be up to Western standards, but I'll happily settle for a Westin type hotel.....just as long as they're not flea pits or rented by the hour!!
Personally I'm kind of picky about hotels. In Asia, beds are more likely to be harder and less uncomfortable. The bright side is nobody in Asia uses noisy creepy air-conditioners commonly found in 3-star hotels in the U.S, like Hyatt Place, Marriott Courtyard and Hilton Homewood.

It's important to expect things to be different when you travel abroad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 01:49 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
The quality / expectation of 5 star hotels in China varies a lot.

Most are superb and have Huge bathrooms, showers, generally very clean. Happy hour / gold club perks / lounges can be very nice with great food.

Unfortunately many Asian and Europeon guest will smoke EVERYWHERE, including your non- smoking floor.

Old 07-03-2016, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
The quality / expectation of 5 star hotels in China varies a lot.

Most are superb and have Huge bathrooms, showers, generally very clean. Happy hour / gold club perks / lounges can be very nice with great food.

Unfortunately many Asian and Europeon guest will smoke EVERYWHERE, including your non- smoking floor.
What annoys most in China is smoking. People smoke everywhere, on the street, in restaurants, etc.

Old 07-03-2016, 07:48 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceira View Post
Perfect

@ Bayesian I figured their 5 star rating wouldn't be up to Western standards, but I'll happily settle for a Westin type hotel.....just as long as they're not flea pits or rented by the hour!!
I stayed at the Westin in Shanghai and it's very nice. The "W" in Beijing was wonderful. Both are five stars in my book and every bit as nice as five star hotels in the USA. In fact, they were nicer than many hotels I've stayed at in NYC and much cheaper.

Old 07-03-2016, 07:51 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
It must vary by hotel because I saw none of that at any of the hotels we stayed in. Smoking was not an issue.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:08 AM

1,492 posts, read 1,617,096 times
I have been to Beijing several times and have always been very satisfied with the experience. I also know a number of people who have been to China, for both business and vacation. If you are in a tour group, you should be fine. Relax, use common sense and enjoy your trip.

To address some of your specific concerns (at least for Beijing):

1) Talk to your tour guide at the beginning of the trip about your issue with chop sticks. I personally found them pretty easy to use, but arthritis would be a problem. Your tour guide should easily handle this. I have been told by a number of friends who have done similar tours that the guides are very motivated to resolve issues for their customers.

2) Air pollution can cause irritations if you are sensitive to it. However, I personally never felt it was a problem and was never tempted to use a mask.

3) Realize that there are a lot of very aggressive people trying to make money off of tourists in China, like in other countries. However, in my experience it was never threatening nor did I ever see any type of petty crime. Use common sense and stay with your tour group. Personally on my third trip, I took a number of walks on my own and always felt completely safe. I am told that at least in Beijing, the local police are under very strict orders to keep foreign tourists and business people safe.

4) You should definitely use caution buying things in China. I purchased a paper scroll that was originally priced at $300 for about $10 after a long series of negotiations (with some help from one of my Chinese hosts). There is a lot of local competition for your money and you can almost always find room to negotiate. In my experience, a major factor at the end of the negotiation was the ability to pay in US dollars. Once I showed some American cash, the price dropped significantly. However, that might not be true everywhere.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your trip!

Old 07-03-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I stayed at the Westin in Shanghai and it's very nice. The "W" in Beijing was wonderful. Both are five stars in my book and every bit as nice as five star hotels in the USA. In fact, they were nicer than many hotels I've stayed at in NYC and much cheaper.
Westin on the bund is wonderful. Actually, Peninsula Shanghai is way more elegant than Peninsula New York. I'd say the best 10 hotels in Shanghai are world-class luxury hotels.

The problem is many local 5-star hotels do not live up to the western standard, for instance, I found the beds uncomfortable on a Kaiyuan hotel in Shanghai.

SPG hotels in China are consistently good in my experience. InterContinental hotels are mostly good with a few exceptions, I stayed in a really horrible InterContinental hotel in Ningbo.

To be fair, the price for 5-star hotels varies wildly in China. Some of the 5-star hotels are priced well under $100, in that case you need to lower your expectation. The horrible Intercontinental Hotel in Ningbo was the cheapest Intercontinental I've ever stayed. Conversely, the InterContinental hotel in Wuxi was superb but more expensive.

According to Priceline, there is no 5-star hotel in Austin,TX. JW Marriot, Omni, W are listed as 4-star and Four Seasons Austin is listed as 4.5 star.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:12 PM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
Do the have washlet bidets

Old 07-05-2016, 01:37 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Chopsticks are plentiful in Asian restaurants in the US, and you can buy them by the box at most grocery stores or Asian markets. If that is really a concern I suggest just learning how before you go. I have seen restaurant employees help teach customers how to do it at places here, even. If that is just out of the question, can you take your own silverware?

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Lig.../dp/B018PWQJC2

Old 07-06-2016, 11:02 AM

85 posts, read 64,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
No, and I have no desire to go after seeing this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-oG2QFa8dA

You should visit Japan instead. It's a beautiful country, the people are polite and friendly, it's incredibly clean and safe there, and they are civilized.
Did you watch the video? The Chinese man in the video informed you in the video that dog is NOT eaten in mainstream Chinese culture. Do you have a problem understanding English? Should the world define and stereotype mainstream American culture as Amish? the Amish do exist in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel