U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 01:46 PM

30,323 posts, read 27,784,053 times

Advertisements

Business Insider has provided 15 interesting tips for traveling and staying safe. Link below.

15 tips that will help you stay safe when you travel

I wish I had known some of these tips before my last trip, I did stay safe but I could have become a victim very easily as well ......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 03:34 PM

15,780 posts, read 9,526,809 times
Thanks - some good ideas there - and I'm a relatively seasoned traveler. The STEP for U.S. citizens, and the safety apps are newer ideas for many of us.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:50 AM

30,323 posts, read 27,784,053 times
I always try to be extra safe on trips but many of these ideas I had never given a thought to. And S T E P app should be of interest on having as well to keep informed about different areas. One of the best trips was knowing that you're safer if your room is located below the 5th or 6th floor of the building because fire departments can't get to the higher ones. Normally I like the first or second floors only just to avoid having to use the elevators.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:53 PM
Status: "Kamala/Pete 2020!! Make it happen, people." (set 11 days ago)

7,356 posts, read 2,927,034 times
Good info. Thanks for providing the link, OP!

Old 07-29-2016, 06:31 AM

32 posts, read 14,233 times
Thanks for Sharing the Article Here, that is very useful to be very safe in the travelling.

Thanks & Regards
Pondytourism

Old 08-02-2016, 01:38 AM

5,922 posts, read 2,885,080 times
I confess I don't get this one:

"One of the easiest ways to keep your information private is to avoid using your first name when checking in.
Give the front desk your first initial and last name. For women who are traveling alone, Melchiorri suggests using "Mrs." to give the impression that you're traveling with at least one other person."

Old 08-02-2016, 05:06 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,044,150 times
One of the tips doesn't totally make sense. Slide 9, the one about fire safety, recommends asking for a hotel room next to a stairwell. I've seen other travel safety sites recommend that women travelling alone don't do this -- a stairwell is a convenient entry/escape route for some thieves/attackers.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:45 PM

12,581 posts, read 7,530,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post

"One of the easiest ways to keep your information private is to avoid using your first name when checking in.
Give the front desk your first initial and last name. For women who are traveling alone, Melchiorri suggests using "Mrs." to give the impression that you're traveling with at least one other person."
Its pretty straightforward. When you go up to the front desk to check in tell them they you have a reservation under J. Smith, if you are a woman say that you are Mrs. J. Smith. Its not to keep your information private to the hotel. They have your credit card information, they know who you are. Its so others near the front desk don't know who you are.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:43 AM

3,963 posts, read 1,690,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post

Apparently a) people don't have uncommon last names and common first names, and b) married women don't travel alone. The reason it doesn't make sense to you is because it doesn't make sense at all. Usually I just give my last name because the chance of there being someone else with my last name at the hotel is around .01%. I think it's happened around one time in my life that I've run into someone with my last name who is not related.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:26 AM

7,679 posts, read 16,095,286 times
I clicked through the next slide show about travel mistakes and the first one was about leaving important items in a hotel safe. Something I've heard suggested elsewhere is to put one shoe you're planning on wearing the next day into the safe so you're forced to remember where you put the shoe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or