Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 08:59 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,735,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

Small city airports in low cost of living areas are usually great. A TSA job is considered to be a good job and you're going to have a ton of pretty strong applicants.
Since it's a federal job and you get beaucoup points for being a veteran, my small town Florida airport is largely staffed by people who did 4-8 years in the service, remembered that nearby Eglin AFB and its nearby beaches seemed like a nice place to live, and figured out that the TSA job payed enough to keep them in beer and surfboards when they weren't at work.

Generally pretty professional without feeling like they've got something to prove like the cop wannabe/rejects you find at many other airports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 09:38 PM

6,655 posts, read 5,874,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
A religion is a thought in someone's head. How do you know what religion someone is?

Real terrorists don't carry a sign saying "MUSLIM."
Ask them to eat a small piece of pork jerky. If they refuse, send them to a back room where they are asked to tread on a picture of Mohammed.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:22 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,448,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Learn to read!! I have explained this twice already- but just for you ill do it again. I DID take out my boarding pass from my pocket but the end of it tore and i didnt feel the remaining part left.
I never take off my belt and have ZERO issues since ATL TSA sometimes doesnt require you to even take it off. Even if you leave belt on they will just ask you if you have on a belt and you are on your way.

My beef was that i offered to go back in the scanner and he chose to do the long drawn out pat down instead and how they almost seem to punish you if you refuse to go in the full body scanner.

FLL TSA checkpoints are drawn out because they flag absolutely everything and even after detailed scans of the bags they had people lined up to manually scan their bags again, just to find nothing.
You offered to go back through the scanner, he chose to do the drawn out pat down because they seem to punish you if you refuse the scanner? You're making no sense. I've done the pat down before. I have an antique make-up brush I was carrying in a carry on (handle is antique, brush part is not) that caught their attention. I was confused as to how I got sent to the side, then I looked at the x-ray, by God if it didn't look exactly like a big knife! It truly did. I was patted down, not causing a problem to anyone else because I was taken aside. I no longer travel with it.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:50 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,901,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Three words: Drop the paranoia.
You're assuming the US government possesses something it lacks: logic.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:23 AM

26,180 posts, read 21,458,569 times
Quote:
Learn to read!! I have explained this twice already- but just for you ill do it again. I DID take out my boarding pass from my pocket but the end of it tore and i didnt feel the remaining part left.
I never take off my belt and have ZERO issues since ATL TSA sometimes doesnt require you to even take it off. Even if you leave belt on they will just ask you if you have on a belt and you are on your way.
I have zero problem reading. You didn't do what you were asked to do. You can keep repeating your same story but you are clearly outlining you didn't follow instructions

Quote:
My beef was that i offered to go back in the scanner and he chose to do the long drawn out pat down instead and how they almost seem to punish you if you refuse to go in the full body scanner.
and once again you don't get to dictate how things are going to go especially after you e failed to follow directions. They don't punish you for opting out so you can stop with the dramatics, maybe that's what causes your trouble in line

Quote:
FLL TSA checkpoints are drawn out because they flag absolutely everything and even after detailed scans of the bags they had people lined up to manually scan their bags again, just to find nothing.
I find the lines are most often drawn out because of passengers who simply can't follow instructions and don't know what they are doing. That's the cause I see most often to longer lines

Old 07-28-2016, 11:53 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,119,647 times
Quote:
That's probably why you were patted down. You never let the target of the security control the process. If you seemed like you were trying to avoid a pat down then you most definitely are getting a pat down! If you had offered to just do the pat down rather than pass back through the scanner they would have probably ordered you back through the scanner. Act like you're in a hurry and they will process you in slow motion..

Old 07-28-2016, 12:38 PM

4,684 posts, read 6,105,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
You offered to go back through the scanner, he chose to do the drawn out pat down because they seem to punish you if you refuse the scanner? You're making no sense. I've done the pat down before. I have an antique make-up brush I was carrying in a carry on (handle is antique, brush part is not) that caught their attention. I was confused as to how I got sent to the side, then I looked at the x-ray, by God if it didn't look exactly like a big knife! It truly did. I was patted down, not causing a problem to anyone else because I was taken aside. I no longer travel with it.
You must not have read this thread from page one in which it was explained.

The punish you for not going through the scanner part, was in regards to my wife and the other folks who didnt want to go through it, they were pulled aside for the tedious manual pat down, in which they touch you from head to toe, reached inside her shirt and pants, manually searched their bags, eventhough they just scanned it and gave it the okay, swab her hands, and bags as well too, the same bags that were just xrayed and found nothing. That is quite ridiculous when, plan B is usually go through the metal detector and have your bag scanned.

The TSA is just inefficient, they have failed just about all tests to spot weapon or explosives when tested, they waste time scanning handicap people, elderly people, and ill even add muslim women, when just about add terrorist are Muslim men. All children should go through the metal detectors to speed things up. Even if they were replaced with contractors, it probably would be the same procedure, just will lower paid workers, but with more staffing. After you go trough all that, it still doesnt stop an airline employee from getting something on the plane or a suicidal pilot

Old 07-28-2016, 12:45 PM

4,684 posts, read 6,105,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I have zero problem reading. You didn't do what you were asked to do. You can keep repeating your same story but you are clearly outlining you didn't follow instructions

and once again you don't get to dictate how things are going to go especially after you e failed to follow directions. They don't punish you for opting out so you can stop with the dramatics, maybe that's what causes your trouble in line

I find the lines are most often drawn out because of passengers who simply can't follow instructions and don't know what they are doing. That's the cause I see most often to longer lines
Im not saying it is some type on conspiracy type crap. Next time you fly, I want you to opt of out the full body scan and see the utter ridiculous procedure you will have to go through. Its so long and tedious, you will never want to go through it again. Pretty much everyone that had to go through it was saying it ridiculous it was. Is there any needed to put your hands inside of someones pants in the front and back, feel around their breasts, and start going through their hair.

Just send them through the metal detector and do a pat down, there is no need to fell peoples privates.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:55 PM

32,548 posts, read 47,673,829 times
I confess, I didn't help. I got a full pat down because I was going through with a puppy, that can't go through the X-ray machine. The pat down didn't take long. The agents were polite and friendly, but I have to apologize: all the agents stopped working to come and pet the puppy, thus stopping their lines for a minute or so.

Seriously, the security line has multiple signs with instructions about how to get through the line faster, both in print and with pictures. Often, there is an agent at the outer end of the line, giving verbal instructions for those who refuse to read. Still, some people can not follow instructions and they stop the line while the agents try to talk them through taking off their jacket and putting it on the conveyor belt, or some other easily understood instruction that appears to be difficult for a percentage of the population.

I agree that security can be frustrating, but I have no sympathy for people who bring their own problem down on their own head because they can't follow simple instructions.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:01 PM

26,180 posts, read 21,458,569 times
Quote:
You must not have read this thread from page one in which it was explained.

The punish you for not going through the scanner part, was in regards to my wife and the other folks who didnt want to go through it, they were pulled aside for the tedious manual pat down, in which they touch you from head to toe, reached inside her shirt and pants, manually searched their bags, eventhough they just scanned it and gave it the okay, swab her hands, and bags as well too, the same bags that were just xrayed and found nothing. That is quite ridiculous when, plan B is usually go through the metal detector and have your bag scanned.

The TSA is just inefficient, they have failed just about all tests to spot weapon or explosives when tested, they waste time scanning handicap people, elderly people, and ill even add muslim women, when just about add terrorist are Muslim men. All children should go through the metal detectors to speed things up. Even if they were replaced with contractors, it probably would be the same procedure, just will lower paid workers, but with more staffing. After you go trough all that, it still doesnt stop an airline employee from getting something on the plane or a suicidal pilot

This is just further exaggeration and not accurate of what happens to most who opt out of the scan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel