Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 11:49 PM

10,249 posts, read 13,765,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I've worked in several corporate office environments, and when people go on vacation it is almost always one of the following:

1.) Cruises
2.) All-inclusive resort in Cancun or somewhere in the Caribbean
3.) Colorado

I've been all over Europe and East Asia, staying in hostels much of the time. My coworkers look at me like I'm nuts or they assume that it must cost a small fortune to visit "exotic" locations, although I have never spent more than $4k on a 2-3 week trip anywhere.

I assume they are just as boring in real life as they are in the office, so they lack the creative thinking required to visit places "outside the box."
I've noticed that people seem to usually only leave town to see family, with the places you mentioned being a distant second. I get looked at like I have two heads when I mention going somewhere more unique. People don't think out of the box with travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 01:38 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,557,596 times
My last trip was a cruise and I am NOT a boring office type. I am just like a lot of other people, only get to take one or two trips a year... when I can do it I just want to RELAX. I went on a cruise in the spring to Miami. It was great. Only $450. I spent every day on the ship getting professional massages and spa treatments with the money I saved, laying on the top deck, then partying in South Beach. Most glamorous thing or interesting? I'm guessing not. All I know is it worked for me. I came home tan, refreshed, and glowing! And honestly, with everything going on in the world at the moment, a lot of people feel better staying in the country. I just read an article about how flights on Delta to Paris and London are half price what they were last year. They are priced that way for a reason. So don't judge! $4K is a lot of money. I could only afford $1K. All I know is my back felt a lot better coming back than if I had been climbing up some mountain somewhere.

Old 08-20-2016, 02:08 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,980,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
I'd guess that most of these people have families, and they're traveling with their children's interest in mind instead of their own. :
There was a thread about traveling over seas with children. After reading through the thread, I figured that you might as well forget the whole thing.

Just take the kids to Disneyland.

Old 08-20-2016, 02:34 AM

3,229 posts, read 6,260,054 times
Quote:
I've worked in several corporate office environments, and when people go on vacation it is almost always one of the following:

1.) Cruises
3.) Colorado

I assume they are just as boring in real life as they are in the office, so they lack the creative thinking required to visit places "outside the box."
Those aren't boring vacations, those are nice relaxing vacations, especially the resorts in the Caribbean. A BORING vacation would be staying at a Fairfield Inn in Rancho Cucamonga. Maybe doing lots of shopping at Ontario Mills Outlet Mall, Victoria Gardens Mall, Walmart, Target, Kmart and Big Lots. Then eating at places like Carl's Jr., El Pollo Loco, Shakey's Pizza and Del Taco. That would be a very very boring vacation!

Old 08-20-2016, 02:51 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,658,456 times
One can only jump out of so many airplanes before it too becomes boring

Old 08-20-2016, 08:55 AM

605 posts, read 664,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I like to take cruises in Europe. I see lots of interesting places and learn a lot of history and culture, but someone else is in charge of the logistics. I don't wish to handle logistics in foreign countries where I don't understand the language or know the laws. I spend my time at work solving other people's problems and challenges, and on vacation, I want somebody else to solve mine.
This type of mentality among Americans who are afraid to go to foreign countries on their own because of a few language issues is such a cop out.

Let me just say as someone who has personally been to over a dozen countries in Europe, the language issue is non-existent and does not pose any real logistical challenge (plus most of their laws are the same as well minus a few differences). Every major tourist hot spot in Europe (and even a few off the beaten bath places) will have people living and working there who are fluent in English on some level especially those who work in the tourism industry (plus the percentage of people who are fluent in english is near 100% in countries like the Netherlands, Denmark, or Sweden). As a result going to either Paris, Barcelona, Munich, Rome, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, or Stockholm is really no different logistically than going to Las Vegas because there are no language barriers.

Old 08-20-2016, 10:26 AM

10,249 posts, read 13,765,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beasley106 View Post
This type of mentality among Americans who are afraid to go to foreign countries on their own because of a few language issues is such a cop out.

Let me just say as someone who has personally been to over a dozen countries in Europe, the language issue is non-existent and does not pose any real logistical challenge (plus most of their laws are the same as well minus a few differences). Every major tourist hot spot in Europe (and even a few off the beaten bath places) will have people living and working there who are fluent in English on some level especially those who work in the tourism industry (plus the percentage of people who are fluent in english is near 100% in countries like the Netherlands, Denmark, or Sweden). As a result going to either Paris, Barcelona, Munich, Rome, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, or Stockholm is really no different logistically than going to Las Vegas because there are no language barriers.
This!

Old 08-20-2016, 11:17 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,201,085 times
It is not the hostel experience, per se, that makes it a creative or adventurous option, it is the increased chance of discovering something unexpected to see or do because you are forced to interact with people. People who usually have fewer inhibitions about their travel experiences and thus have gotten off the beaten track and can share their discoveries with their hostel-mates.

And hotel concierges are likely to steer you towards banal and 'safe' attractions and restaurants as well. They are are not going to tell you about that rickety suspension foot-bridge across a chasm just outside of town with a guy selling <insert local food here> on the other side that he is cooking on some kind of traditional grill with an overlook of the sea.

But most people, American and European alike, are quite happy to pay a set price to stay in some resort enclave in Cancun or Mykonos.

Old 08-20-2016, 02:01 PM

13,011 posts, read 12,969,062 times
I might be considered a boring office type and I almost never take cruises or all inclusive vacations.

I did take a cruise in October 2001 because it was incredibly cheap. After 9/11 nobody wanted to travel so I was able to get airfare and cruise for almost nothing. It was the only cruise I have ever been on, and I have no intention of doing another.

I have been to an all inclusive hotel, but it was an all inclusive scuba resort. By resort standards it was pretty spartan, but you could do three dives daily. I would go back to the same place again in the future, but I don't think that this is the type of all inclusive the OP refers to.

My preference is to explore a new part of the world every year. I will pick a country and book a couple of different hotels in different regions and explore. I prefer to eat in local restaurants, see the sights on my own, and dive, hike, or bike for a few days.

Old 08-20-2016, 02:03 PM

23,862 posts, read 71,233,192 times
Quote:

1.) Cruises
3.) Colorado

I've been all over Europe and East Asia, staying in hostels much of the time. My coworkers look at me like I'm nuts or they assume that it must cost a small fortune to visit "exotic" locations, although I have never spent more than $4k on a 2-3 week trip anywhere.

They probably prefer to do things they think are fun rather than doing things you think is fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel