Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 11:45 AM

258 posts, read 299,469 times

Advertisements

Neither my husband nor myself have ever been out of the country. We are trying to decide on a good location(s) for our first international trip next year. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for cities or countries that were the easiest for first-time travelers to acclimate to and feel welcome in.

Both of us speak basic German. I speak/read French and some Spanish-- enough to where I feel like I could reasonably get by in a pinch.

We like all the normal things: art, architecture, food, etc. We love travelling by train in the US. I am not especially fond of flying (which is the main reason why I am so remarkably untraveled), but I can get over it for a big trip. My husband loves sports, and I would enjoy a biking trip or going to a sporting event.

I will say that neither of us have the desire to go to Asia or the Middle East. At least, not for our first trip.

I do not particularly want to go somewhere where the main attraction is a beach. I like to have a lot of stuff to do. Typically when we travel, I will have about 3/4 of the trip planned, and then leave one or two days for walking around, exploring, shopping, etc.

Where was your first international trip?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 11:51 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,533,072 times
Go to Germany or Spain?

They're easy first trips because both aren't terribly foreign to the typical American lifestyle. Spain will be the more different one, of course, and it actually does get significantly more 'different' the further South you go.

Also, you also speak both the languages, so that's a huge bonus and will help you get more of a thorough cultural insight with the people firsthand. However, in Spain, there's a few regions with separate languages (i.e. Barcelona is in Catalunya, and the people will speak Catalan first; also Galicia, Basque Country, etc.).

Spain is beach-y, but there's way more to it than that anyways.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:01 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,924,464 times
Seems pretty obvious to me. Germany, Spain, Switzerland, France. Maybe all four.

Spain is the cheapest. Switzerland the most expensive.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:12 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,335 times
Since you both speak some German and you are looking to ease into something that won't be too jarring, I think visiting Germany would be the obvious choice.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:29 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
It is very, very easy to get by in much of Europe as an English speaker. Embarrassingly easy. Like, most people I know have been to Prague but none of speak Czech. I know conventional wisdom is to go to England/Scotland/Ireland as a first trip but I've never thought that necessary. It's not like it helps you any for when you *do* go to mainland Europe.

Surely you've always dreamed of going somewhere in particular? Where?

Last edited by Cantabridgienne; 08-16-2016 at 12:47 PM..

Old 08-16-2016, 12:34 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Well, this is why travel magazines were invented. Since you're prudently thinking ahead, why don't you subscribe to one or two? You're already lucky to have some capacity in foreign languages.

My first big trip was a long collection of several countries in western Europe, the northwest point being England and the southeast point being Greece.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:50 PM

258 posts, read 299,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
It is very, very easy to get by in much of Europe as an English speaker. Embarrassingly easy. I know conventional wisdom is to go to England/Scotland/Ireland as a first trip but I've never thought that necessary. It's not like it helps you any for when you *do* go to mainland Europe.

Surely you've always dreamed of going somewhere in particular? Where?

Honestly, I have always wanted to go to the Netherlands and Austria. Both look to have beautiful vistas, cycling, and still have museums and attractions that appeal to my nerd side. I just don't know anyone who has been to those areas recently. A lot of the Baltic areas look beautiful, but I just wonder if they have enough to do to fill a week.

My husband has said that Spain and Portugal are his areas of interest. I think Spain is fascinating and has a ton of stuff to do. I think because of that, it might be better saved for a larger European trip in the future. Right now, I think we are able to spend about 6 days outside of flight/travel time in a place. We are not having kids, and are making saving for travel more of a priority now.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:07 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,973,733 times
Go to Quebec City.

You can experience what it would be like in a French city there - the architecture is very similar in old Quebec, the food is bound to be different enough to make you feel as though you were really in a foreign country and you can use your smattering of French if you wish. It really is a very romantic place - and full of history too.

And from where you are, you could drive there or perhaps even take a train. If you drive you can also visit old Montreal on the way. Via Rail runs right through there too.

The Canadian dollar is also likely to be kinder on your wallet than the Euro.

Perhaps you don't think of that destination as exotic enough but I guarantee you, you will like it - and though many will speak French a lot, especially in Quebec City, which is somewhat of a tourist town, will also speak English if you get stuck. It is a good way to get your feet wet for longer overseas trips.

Last edited by Aery11; 08-16-2016 at 02:43 PM..

Old 08-16-2016, 02:08 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr11 View Post
Honestly, I have always wanted to go to the Netherlands and Austria. Both look to have beautiful vistas, cycling, and still have museums and attractions that appeal to my nerd side. I just don't know anyone who has been to those areas recently. A lot of the Baltic areas look beautiful, but I just wonder if they have enough to do to fill a week.

My husband has said that Spain and Portugal are his areas of interest. I think Spain is fascinating and has a ton of stuff to do. I think because of that, it might be better saved for a larger European trip in the future. Right now, I think we are able to spend about 6 days outside of flight/travel time in a place. We are not having kids, and are making saving for travel more of a priority now.
So go to all of them or each of you pick your top choice and do that. You don't have to do everything in one trip. Don't over schedule yourselves. Leave some time for something that might pop up or something you stumble upon. Have fun!

Old 08-16-2016, 02:13 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,973,733 times
Tried twice to add to my above post but it doesn't seem to be going through for some strange reason.

Wanted to add .. if Quebec City doesn't thrill you, I highly recommend Portugal. There are many distinctly different regions to explore in that country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel