Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 02:02 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,080,284 times

Advertisements

Working for airline yield/revenue management departments requires an advanced diploma from Hogwart's. Crucio!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 06:54 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
Working for airline yield/revenue management departments requires an advanced diploma from Hogwart's. Crucio!
In most cases, I'd imagine that all pricing is done by some sort of algorithm. They probably put in high demand dates like Christmas and Thanksgiving, and also increase all prices during summer. But I'd imagine everything else is done by some sort of calculating engine that monitors demand/searches, seats remaining, and past history of a specific flight.

Also, if an airline knows that they are the only ones to offer a certain flight, they charge more for it. That's why it's more expensive to fly non stop from DFW to Paris (American Airlines is the only airline offering non-stop) than ATL to Paris (which has Delta and Air France non-stop).

On another note, for being one of the biggest airports in the country, DFW really needs to increase focus on Europe. Most international flights seem focused on Spanish speaking countries, but that's probably because of the people who live in Texas and the location of Texas.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:30 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,080,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
In most cases, I'd imagine that all pricing is done by some sort of algorithm. They probably put in high demand dates like Christmas and Thanksgiving, and also increase all prices during summer. But I'd imagine everything else is done by some sort of calculating engine that monitors demand/searches, seats remaining, and past history of a specific flight.
Of course, and the YM programs are among the most closely held secrets in the industry. It's the programmers who need to be skilled in the dark arts.

But there actually are human beings (or similar) in YM departments; sometimes I've needed to have a seat in some particular bucket released or I've needed someone to disambiguate a fare class. For example on American Airlines the "A" bucket is both a discounted first class paid fare and a mileage upgrade fare, and it will take a YM person to pull a seat from paid inventory when the robots are saying "no" to an upgrade. So they do exist, possibly in cages.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:13 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,145,168 times
Flying from Anchorage to Honolulu in December is more expensive than flying from Boston or D.C. to Honolulu. But the latter two flights take more than double the time. It is all supply and demand.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:23 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
The key is in your OP; Supply and Demand.

and airport fees / time of day / airline premiums / discounts depending on trying to capture 'Market Share' in a region / gate availability ....

I like to use sites that give you the opportunity to try a bunch of different routes to your destination, and also ones that list all the bargain fares from particular origination spots. (I often don't care as much where I am going, as the low fare availability (retired / I'm just exploring many destinations)

FREE changes are really nice when fares drop.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:06 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,787,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I saw a flight one time from NYC - Paris that was $200 more expensive than a flight from NYC - Atlanta - Paris. Sometimes these prices make no sense to me.
Makes perfect sense, routing through the hub (assuming it's Delta or a partner) makes a huge number of itineraries possible whereas the direct route is much more limited - supply and demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel