Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2016, 12:48 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,690,944 times

Advertisements

Anybody got experience with going through tolls where you do not pay (because it's not possible to pay cash) in a rental car?

I read somewhere that it's already a daily fee included in your rental to pay for tolls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 12:55 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,998,847 times
No included,

But if you use there toll "Card" Often called "Plate Pass" there is a daily fee of ~$5 day for each day of the rental (Not just the days you use it, sometimes up to X Dollars max) + the cost of the toll.

Some Tolls roads have not Cash option, you need to use the Toll Pass transponder, or Plate Reader.

Since I live in a EZPass area I have a Extra one I take with me and use on my rental Cars, and specifically ask for a car with out one or make sure it stays inside it NoRead enclosures so I don't get charge for it, on a Car in the EZPass toll areas,

Old 08-17-2016, 01:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
You will pay dearly. For some goofy reason.... The toll can be charged daily, even if you use it for 1 min during a 30 day rental.

I got just such a bill from NJ, due to a mistaken one exit use in Colorado.

Some rental companies will allow a back charge on transponder, but you need to add in your contract. That would have saved me a lot of needlessly spent dough.

I'm sure there are different plans, just don't haplessly venture onto a tollway thinking you are mot paying.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:10 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,499,246 times
You should call the local office of the rental agency to inquire about how they bill tolls. It's different all over.

I typically get rental cars with a transponder in the windshield (sometimes there's a daily fee, sometimes there isn't). Then the card that I used for the rental will get charged at a later date with my actual toll charges. (That's how it works for me renting from Avis out of BWI)

Old 08-17-2016, 02:09 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,690,944 times
We've already rented the car and returned it. One of the tolls (Golden Gate Bridge) I got on the website for the bridge and entered the license plate and paid it by credit card.

But I know we passed a couple tolls going towards Laguna Beach from LA. No way of paying cash.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:13 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,998,847 times
Just be aware you may get doubled bill for the one you paid (GGB),

The data is send digital to the rental car company by plate number by the toll authorities also, so they might charge your also.

Old 08-17-2016, 04:50 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Anybody got experience with going through tolls where you do not pay (because it's not possible to pay cash) in a rental car?

I read somewhere that it's already a daily fee included in your rental to pay for tolls.
Never heard of such a thing.
Read your rental agreement.
Mine (Dollar) says you agree to pay the tolls and allow the rental company to release your info not only to the courts, but to toll collection agencies as well.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:32 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,901,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
No included,

But if you use there toll "Card" Often called "Plate Pass" there is a daily fee of ~$5 day for each day of the rental (Not just the days you use it, sometimes up to X Dollars max) + the cost of the toll.

Some Tolls roads have not Cash option, you need to use the Toll Pass transponder, or Plate Reader.

Since I live in a EZPass area I have a Extra one I take with me and use on my rental Cars, and specifically ask for a car with out one or make sure it stays inside it NoRead enclosures so I don't get charge for it, on a Car in the EZPass toll areas,
I've taken mine when I've flown out of town, first making sure it was usable for that system. Avoids their surcharge. Someday there will be smartphone apps for toll payment.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:26 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,708,779 times
In most cases, the rental company will pay the toll on your behalf, then send you a more expensive bill.

A friend got on a toll in this area and got a $15 bill from Enterprise. I think the toll was only around $2.50.

That's why I hate these license plate scanner tolls. Although it does make things quicker for traffic.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:43 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,137,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post

Call the rental company and ask for them to waive the admin fee if your toll was just like $1.00.

I when on a toll by plate rod in MD 2 days in a row and Alamo sent me 2 different bills and I called them and they waived the fee and I just paid the price of the toll. Not all will waive the admin fee, but its worth a try. It almost feels like you are forced into buying a toll pass or the admin cost daily if you go through a pay by plate toll will cost more than the toll itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel