U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2016, 08:32 AM

10,531 posts, read 8,784,204 times

Advertisements

For retired people. How long does this take you? Don't be shy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 10:35 AM

15,096 posts, read 19,059,396 times
Depends on how much of a cheapskate I am being. Depends on how flexible I am about dates of flights and location of hotels. Depends on where I'm going - some locations work better for finding 'bargains' than others.

For flights, I've decreased the time spent dramatically by signing up for alerts from airfarewatchdog.com - that's the only one that includes SouthWest.

But, yeah, I can spend hours on this stuff. I'd like to say that I didn't start taking that much time until I was retired, but I'd be lying.

Old 09-03-2016, 10:49 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,668 posts, read 40,039,994 times
A few minutes.... Realistically 10 min if I have to shop around... 2 min if a repeat flight / stay. All my web bookings know my profile and charge cards, I check the box, and 'presto', (usually) no entry of payment or addy required.

I book several flights / month. Very few hotels, as I use hospitality homes $10/ night WW. Air B& B is simple app / web. But our stays have been horrible (get much less than you pay for, NO host accountability)

Air...
Ryanair seems best. (When site is up) I book the 'business fare' for free changes
SWA in USA I use several times / month (free changes and bags). I search low fare calender.

Hotels, I use agoda it is very well laid out and service reps are good (singapore based)
Bookings works well too. You get points for each

Both companies were bought out by a travel company, so expect the worst.

Since we are gone this entire yr, I will be happy to never use the internet for booking again.... But that won't happen,
I only used my legacy air carrier (united) for 4 legs, as it was WAY too complicated and slow to get the connections I wanted. I just get to a hub, then use discount carriers. Usually Tiger or AIR ASIA in SEAsia, Ryan in Europe, and SWA in USA. That saves me time, but may cost a bit more. Free changes are very important to me, and I keep lots of stuff booked. (14 future trips on SWA at the moment). I will probably only fly 10 of them, and change the other 4 by the time the date approaches.

Old 09-03-2016, 11:33 AM

12,329 posts, read 18,441,839 times
Retired people? How is that relevant?

I don't understand this thread I guess - Booking flights takes seconds, finding the lowest cost flight via the careful search of lowest route based on time and destination is almost an art form and can take hours depending on what search engine you use.

Old 09-03-2016, 11:39 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,434,723 times
I don't get the question neither?
Retired people take longer to book flights?
Or are you booking flights for retired people?
Either way, if price is not an object then it takes seconds.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:27 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,668 posts, read 40,039,994 times
Seconds?

You must live in a city with HS internet

I'm Still forced to use dialup in my 3 rural homes in USA.

Have to Go to town to balance my checkbook online.

Travel sites with flash take 20 minutes to load, the errors out, so I have to be picky on carriers and booking services that are simple enough for dialup. Internet cafes seem risky to do transactions, but my banks force me to a 'desktop' after 6 mpnths out of USA .

NZ was a pretty 'wired' country, same with Thailand. USA, nope.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:52 AM

8,657 posts, read 19,126,443 times
I'm not retired, but close and it takes me longer to get my laptop, water and credit card than it does to book a flight on JetBlue. I don't bother with travel sites...I've found that going directly to the carrier was not only cheaper, but it was easier to modify if there was an issue.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:57 PM

14,267 posts, read 24,025,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
For retired people. How long does this take you? Don't be shy.
Hours.

Booking travel is like voting in Chicago - you do it early and often.

I will book everything 3-6 months out and rebook as prices decline.

It takes 10-20 minutes a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or