U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 01:30 PM

262 posts, read 152,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I purposefully stay away from other Americans. Hell, I don't even like travelers from other countries. I find most to be obnoxious.
I heard it a couple times before from my Polish relatives and friends about other Polish people in America.
"You think where there is a lot of Poles is that fun?"
"Listen, where there is a lot of Poles it is not great"

Among the reasons for it was jealousy over who had a better life or looked to have a nicer house, cars. Which to me kinda sounded ridiculous. Some of my friends in Poland stopped talking after I announced emigration, while some stayed supportive and have continued to maintain contact.

Also there is another reason. When you are new to the country you want to practice speaking English as much as possible and having people from your own deterrence this opportunity. Rarely if every anybody whose English was second language wanted to speak English, except of those who were born here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 02:52 PM

9,069 posts, read 9,500,095 times
I don't go on vacation to make friends. I don't chat up strangers, period.

Old 09-04-2016, 03:39 PM

18,530 posts, read 1,193,547 times
I found it awkward at first, but in each new circumstance I was cautious until the ice was broken. Then I could enjoy getting to know people.

Old 09-04-2016, 04:51 PM

5,459 posts, read 2,921,256 times
I remember a trendy cafe we went to in Copenhagen. We meet some Americans the next table over, we have a few laughs, some camaraderie---it was a good time for an hour or so.

Old 09-04-2016, 06:07 PM

12,266 posts, read 18,397,848 times
The term "expat" to me means a foreign resident, not a tourist or visiting businessman.

But, since you brought up the topic - when I am a tourist in another country you almost naturally come into close proximity to other tourists just because of the nature of visiting well known tourist sites and locals, and yes many of them are American. Of course one hopes you get off the well beaten tourist path as well so that you don't encounter other tourists. But in those cases where you do, there is a certain comfort in engaging with your own countrymen, then you start talking about American affairs, news back home, other countries you have visited, etc. Anything but the wonders and culture of the country you are currently in it seems. You have a lot in common, sure.
But my recommendation - It's a convenient and comfortable trap you SHOULD NOT FALL INTO. You aren't traveling to talk to other Americans in a foreign country, you can do that at home in line at a checkout counter at Walmart, and it defeats the purpose of travel, you are traveling to learn about the country you are in. Stay outside your comfort zone, you have nothing to learn from your fellow countrymen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or