U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you Plan your Vacation, or "Wing it?"
Plan 35 34.31%
Wing it 10 9.80%
A little of both 46 45.10%
Depends on the destination 11 10.78%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 11:18 PM

4,529 posts, read 2,905,300 times

Advertisements

I've always let others do the planning for "real vacations"... visiting places for more than a few days, driving 300 or more miles, flying, going out of the country, etc.

On my own, I've driven down to conventions and always made sure I had a place to stay.

Not really a vacation, but more of a trip... i just "winged it" driving down to Chicago (an hour away) back in 2013. I ended up wandering at the site of where they filmed a scene from Divergent. I also wandered into musical theater, where they were holding drawings for selling extra tickets to The Book Of Mormon... for only $20 apiece! I managed to score a show
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 05:57 AM

20,517 posts, read 26,437,088 times
Plan the big stuff and wing the small stuff. Right now my DH and I are rving. We are packing up this morning and heading out. Might end up in VA or PA tonight. We'll see. It depends how the day goes. The only thing I know is he wants to stop at Gander Mountain about 60 miles from us.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:33 AM

9,838 posts, read 4,621,433 times
I'm a planner and research it all out. The research is part of the fun and how I "live" the vacation for months in advance.

I tend to be overly ambitious though, and seldom get to do everything planned. And I also tend to do things on the fly that were not planned. Everything is not on the Internet. Lots of shops and restaurants and activity centers post daily and weekly specials.

When I was younger I was go go go every hour of the vacation in order to maximize the experience. As I get older I am finding it more pleasant to slow it down and "waste" a little time relaxing between activities.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:27 AM

9,324 posts, read 8,376,549 times
Depends on where we go.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:34 AM

47 posts, read 33,075 times
A little bit of both. I always have "must-see" spots in every destination, but also set aside time to wander around in hopes of discovering some pleasant surprises.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:47 AM

8,043 posts, read 23,823,167 times
I'm absolutely a planner. A couple years ago we decided to rent a car and take a drive down the Pacific Coast. We had a list of things we wanted to especially wanted to do, but had extra days planned, so figured we could just drive until we were ready to stop for the night, and do things on our own schedule.

I HATED IT!! I was totally stressed about everything. What hours were places open? Were we going to be able to find a hotel room? Etc. Hated every minute of it, and will never do that again.

When I go on vacation, I have some flexibility on whether we are going to do Activity A on Wednesday and Activity B on Thursday, or vice versa, and where we want to go for dinner is always a discussion, but for the most part, I like things planned out. I want to not only make, but also confirm reservations ahead of time, know the hours of business for each place we are going, and whether there are any scheduled closings of attractions we should be aware of, etc.

So I would say 80% planned, with 20% spontaneous. I won't vacation with people who like to be spontaneous all the time. A few things are fine, but if you want to drop the entire plan and go shopping for the day, we aren't vacationing together.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:06 AM

2,143 posts, read 3,570,411 times
My concerns about winging it is this: yeah you get there, but if you didn't do any research beforehand, more often than not my fear is we're going to be spend a lot of time researching what we could do rather than already having a preset plan. That's fine if I had 3 months of vacation but I get 15 days a year and I like to make it count.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:08 AM

2,292 posts, read 2,655,204 times
Travelling abroad we plan hotels but try to stay flexible about attractions etc. Back in the US we tend to wing it, we've got some great prices in hotels, they will usually give you a good rate if you ask for their best rate as they would rather rent a room than lose out altogether. We tend to roadtrip in the US so grabbing hotels last minute works out better for days when we decide we don't want to drive too far, its much better than having to drive till late just to make a destination.

Old 09-13-2016, 12:49 PM

9,769 posts, read 18,946,053 times
Well, it depends. Usually we will have a rough outline and some research on the area we will be in and just sort of wing it once we get there.

Early this year we had an 'emergency' fishing trip to Alaska. A friend wanted some help opening his fishing cabin for the first king salmon run in Alaska this year. We decided to go on Friday night and were gone on Sunday morning, so there wasn't much time for planning. Had a great time and even brought back some salmon we'd caught. But that isn't the usual way we vacation.

A couple weeks ago was a Florida trip with a Bahamas cruise added in. Much more planning, but still a lot of flexible time in there.

Most likely it's about 20-30% planning and the rest is flexible.

Old 09-13-2016, 12:51 PM

3,965 posts, read 7,552,779 times
When DH and I take a vacation, he does most of the planning. He enjoys it. Last year he planned two vacations, then presented them to me and asked me which one I wanted to take.

Sometimes we take separate trips. When I go visit my family and old friends, I only do as much planning as necessary to make sure I get to see everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel