U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you Plan your Vacation, or "Wing it?"
Plan 35 34.31%
Wing it 10 9.80%
A little of both 46 45.10%
Depends on the destination 11 10.78%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 03:44 PM

2,591 posts, read 1,286,055 times

Advertisements

I'm a planner. I want an itinerary. I want to know when and where we're supposed to be at all times.

My wife wants to "wing it." She wants to "wait till we get there and see what they've got."

I already know what they've "got." The Internet is loaded with what they've "got." To know in advance when and where everything is and how much it costs seems much more effective than to grab a handful of brochures in the hotel lobby and throw darts at them.

Who's with me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 07:27 PM

130 posts, read 128,755 times
I'm somewhere in between.

Must do's are mapped out more precisely. Things that might be difficult to schedule at the last minute with a big(ger) group are mapped out more.

But, I like to be open to finding out about other things once we get there. Sometimes the locals have advice/info, or the hotel/etc. knows things that we don't. Sometimes we might drive by something that looks interesting and is worth a stop.

Flexibility within reason.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:55 PM

2,474 posts, read 903,597 times
I'm a planner, although I don't pin particular things to certain days or hours like I used to (unless it's something that is set on a schedule, like a show). I found that I/we couldn't stick strictly to itineraries, because it's too difficult (even weather can change a day's plan). But I still like to have all the planned information on me.

Perhaps a chunk of the reason for this, is that I save up for our vacations before we do it, so until then I do the research on all to see and do it. Most trips have involved some surprises, which is cool.

Old 09-12-2016, 03:01 AM

1,294 posts, read 1,415,670 times
I mostly plan it out. Not only does the vacation go smoother but I have found some incredible deals by planning ahead. For example, we saved over $1,000 on our last cruise because of the time we booked it. The reason I say mostly is because when I get to the destination I may see certain things I want to do that I did not plan on. I will do those on the fly. Otherwise, I like to plan out everything down to the activities I will partake in at certain locations.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:34 AM

2,143 posts, read 3,557,400 times
Going on our honeymoon this weekend, planned some things out but overall our vacations are always a combo of winging it and planning ahead.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:37 AM

2,591 posts, read 1,286,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
Going on our honeymoon this weekend, planned some things out but overall our vacations are always a combo of winging it and planning ahead.
Congratz! Where'ya going?

Old 09-12-2016, 10:02 AM

2,143 posts, read 3,557,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Congratz! Where'ya going?
Lisbon for a couple of days, then Florence for 3 days, spending a night in Venice, then 3 nights in Santorini followed by 2 nights in Athens. The only thing we haven't looked into is Santorini, not sure if we're gonna rent an ATV or do sailing.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:13 AM

15,201 posts, read 8,509,345 times
I research the big things I want to do and try to loosely plan my days, allowing leeway to switch things around for weather, etc. For food I get a list of cool restaurants that have good reviews and then just pick which one "on a whim".

I really try not to overbook - one big activity a day (like a morning or an afternoon) and the rest of time is "free" for the pool or the beach or something otherwise relaxing and easy to do close to wherever I'm staying.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:41 AM

6,179 posts, read 2,852,918 times
Plan if its a foreign country...want to make sure I have all the protocols in order!

Local and states wise...I wing it

I live for spontaneity....so once I get to a place....I tend to ask the locals and go for it! From hiking...to off the beaten path events......I stumbled upon a log hauling event once that made the day fun! You wouldn't have known about it as its a not a "profit" event that lures in money. What it did lure in was a group of folks that had the best attitude for how to enjoy a day out! The locals had cook outs and graciously shared....That kind of hospitality was hard to plan for!

I do plan though when telling my friends and family my itinerary...so in case something happens.....

Old 09-12-2016, 11:05 AM

14,370 posts, read 7,913,715 times
I will research an area and have a list of things I want to see but it's at our whim when we get there. John got really sick on our Scotland trip last year which totally changed most of our plans for a about half of the trip. Sometimes you just have to wing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel