U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 10:15 AM

21,956 posts, read 21,502,046 times

Advertisements

We are trying to book our airline tickets to CA from NC. Have been told about this "Skybus" direct flights. Anyone ever used them? Opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 03:43 PM

812 posts, read 3,585,633 times
Cheap, but rock bottom, that's their business plan... If you've ever heard about the notorious Irish airline Ryanair... pretty much like that, except with A319's as the fleet. They cut all frills to keep the prices down, so that means you pay for food and drinks (and have a policy against bringing your own onboard), pay for pillows and blankets, pay to check bags, and all tickets are nonrefundable, so make sure you're sure you won't need to change plans.

...not that I'm criticizing... it's just the way the airline operates, so that's how you get your low fares.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:07 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,941,952 times
If you do use them, please report back.
Would be interested to see your opinion of service, etc.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:54 PM

604 posts, read 4,311,663 times
I've known a couple people who have used them here (St Augustine) and found it good for the price.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:46 PM

4,406 posts, read 3,036,803 times
Thumbs up I Use Skybus

I have used Skybus several times and I will again. My average flight is about 2 hours so I don't see the need for the frills. The flights have been no different than the major airlines that I have used, except for the lack of free drinks, nuts, pillows, blankets etc.

My hubby and I can fly ROUND TRIP for about $84.00 (for the 2 of us) including taxes and fees whereas the major airlines for the same flight were over close to $400.00 EACH. We were able to get 2 of the $10.00 tickets that's $40.00 roundtrip. Can't beat the price.

Our experience was great. No delays and the attendents were more relaxed than I have seen anywhere. They were very helpful and just as professional as I have encountered on the majors.

Perhaps the only drawback that some may have an issue with is the fact that they sell food, drinks, and some gift items as they go down the asile. Just say no and they say OK and move on. Not a hassle.

FYI my hubby was called 4 days ago for a job interview in Virginia on March 6th. We went right on Skybus web site and booked his flight. Even this close to his departure date we got round trip tickets for $70.00 round trip! Can't remember the taxes and fees...but, I think it worked out to around $125.00!

Old 02-28-2008, 09:18 AM

Thank you all for all of this information. My husband is so worried about there being a problem..sigh..that he just booked with what he knew, American Airlines. But....my son is coming back right after his wedding with his new wife and step daughter and they are flying Skybus!! I'm not sure what he paid but I had told him all what you people told me and he booked his flight. He's younger and much more adventurous. Maybe, after my son gives us his report my hubbie will reconsider using Skybus.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:24 AM

601 posts, read 1,745,541 times
AHHHHH Ryan Air.... I remember when they started flying in Alaska. Some of the planes actually had duct tape holding things together ( no Joke!)

Old 02-28-2008, 11:29 AM

Great to hear cyn!

I really hope that more and more people start to use SkyBus. This is a value I think we all can live with. Hope your son and new family has a great trip!

daytripper...I have heard the sories about RyanAir. They are now the top carrier in Europe. Perhaps they got a better roll of duct tape. SkyBus does model themselves after RyanAir and I hope that they achieve the same level of success here in the US that RyanAir has in Europe.

Airline sells $10 flights (broken link)

Skybus attempts to emulate successful European model - The Business Journal of the Greater Triad Area:

These are just a few of the sites that have INDEPENDENT info on SkyBus vs RyanAir

Old 02-28-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytripper View Post
AHHHHH Ryan Air.... I remember when they started flying in Alaska. Some of the planes actually had duct tape holding things together ( no Joke!)

Funny upon checking RyanAir web site they are strictly European carriers.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:08 PM

Hmmmm..talking about scary airlines, you ought to check out some of the airlines in Mexico. I swear, I thought I was going to have to run under the plane just to help get it going fast enough to get over the mountain at the end of the runway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel