U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 03:26 PM

15,070 posts, read 19,013,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Cayman Islands. I love snorkeling and diving and it's gorgeous there., but there's stuff to do even if you aren't into scuba/diving.

I also enjoyed Stingray City, Rum Point, the town of Hell, and Georgetown (walkable little downtown. Lots of boat trips, heck, I even enjoyed the turtle farm and I'm not a turtle person.
I gotta say that we stopped at Grand Cayman on a cruise once. I'd love to go back. Stingray City was truly a highlight of our extensive travels (which include Asian elephant rides, African safari's, zip lining in Costa Rica, swimming with dolphins, playing with baby wild monkeys in Thailand, etc.) We've done some very cool stuff, but Stingray City was a standout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 10:41 AM

2,016 posts, read 1,556,508 times
My top 3 islands in the Caribbean are Cuba, Cuba and Cuba.

Why? Because:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjpcu2BT

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjpoHWvC

Old 09-19-2016, 01:52 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,470,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Cayman Islands. I love snorkeling and diving and it's gorgeous there., but there's stuff to do even if you aren't into scuba/diving.

I also enjoyed Stingray City, Rum Point, the town of Hell, and Georgetown (walkable little downtown. Lots of boat trips, heck, I even enjoyed the turtle farm and I'm not a turtle person.
Grand Cayman Island and Aruba are my two favorite Caribbean destinations....I love the cleanliness and safety of both, and the plentiful activities on both land and in the water. Aruba seems to have more land-based activities and Grand Cayman more water-based (and of course, the diving is WORLDS better in the Caymans but Aruba isn't bad either). Both islands are English speaking although you get the British (Cayman) and Dutch (Aruba) influences which make them more exotic.

I concur with all of the suggestions above for GCI--they are all fun....definitely get a car to explore and learn how to drive on the wrong side of the road! LOL The Blow Holes are neat, too, and definitely stop at fish frys on the road for lunch. They've recently opened up Crystal Caves on the East End and it's supposed to be amazing (they were booked the day we were on the East End, and we have caves in Central Texas so we didn't want to make a special trip across the island for them)....you also have catamarans, parasailing, regular sailing, DIVING DIVING DIVING (use Reef Divers!!), and snorkeling if you aren't into diving. Starfish Point, just past Rum Point, is a great snorkel/lay in the water location and the starfish are simply amazing!

As for Aruba, again a car is great and it's very easy to get around...rent a trike, do the Segway tour up to the lighthouse, drive the island around to Baby Beach, go to DePalm Island and Arikok National Park, hike up to the top of Casibari Rock Formation for amazing views of the whole island, dive the Antilla wreck, see the donkeys roaming the roads in the remote areas of the island.

You will not go wrong with either island!

Old 09-19-2016, 02:51 PM

15,672 posts, read 8,395,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Hi everyone! My boyfriend and I would like to plan a vacation to an island somewhere in the Caribbean, but we're not sure where to yet. We'd like to travel in February or March. No where in Mexico as we've both been there a few times already. We'd like it to be moderately priced and it would be nice if we could relax at the resort, but also have other activities to do. My boyfriend gets bored of just laying on the beach all day. Any suggestions? What's your favorite? Thanks!
Not been myself but only heard good things about Antigua.... A bit pricey though.

The Dominican Republic is meant to be a terrific place and not as costly

Have a nice time

Old 09-20-2016, 03:10 AM

9,255 posts, read 10,910,982 times
If you are looking for an all-inclusive or resort centered vacation then my suggestion won't be much help. The British Virgin Islands are gorgeous and offer much more than the typical lounge on the beach all day vacation. Reading the suggestions for Grand Cayman, the beaches, snorkeling and diving there is fantastic but the island in general is not all that interesting. Someone suggested Barbados, a much more fascinating island with different topography and history, two very different coasts, historical plantations to visit. I fell in love with Barbados but I still think my favorite Caribbean vacation ever was staying at Cane Garden Bay in Tortola, BVI and taking side trips to other islands. We took a snorkeling trip to Norman Island, the Caves. Took a ferry to Jost Van Dyke for the day and hung out near the Soggy Dollar bar on White Bay. Imagine gin clear bathtub water and a white sand beach, total relaxation. I'd love to go back there and stay a few days. Our most interesting day trip was to Anegada. Never heard of it? No surprise! We rented a jeep at the closest hotel to the port and hit two beaches. First beach we visited, Loblolly, we were completely alone. Not a soul around. Next was Cow Wreck Beach where we had a late lunch and a swim. Maybe 10 people there. This was off-season (summer) so your mileage may vary. After lunch on Cow Wreck we met some little girls who were meeting their uncle coming in from conch diving and they showed us how they harvest the conch. They were so cute and charming, I'll never forget that afternoon.

Old 09-21-2016, 03:23 PM

6,071 posts, read 8,369,546 times
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I've been traveling and busy and just now got a chance to read your suggestions! My boyfriend is very interested in the British Virgin Islands. There are a lot of great options! We live in FL now, so hopefully we'll get to travel there frequently and check them all out!

Old 09-22-2016, 09:15 AM

15,672 posts, read 8,395,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I've been traveling and busy and just now got a chance to read your suggestions! My boyfriend is very interested in the British Virgin Islands. There are a lot of great options! We live in FL now, so hopefully we'll get to travel there frequently and check them all out!
That's the problem..... Toooooooooo many great options LOL.

Old 09-24-2016, 03:53 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,337,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philmar View Post
My top 3 islands in the Caribbean are Cuba, Cuba and Cuba.

Why? Because:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjpcu2BT

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjpoHWvC
Actually I liked Cuba, too! Good food, friendly people, interesting historical sites, nice beaches.

I also like the Dominican Republic for some of the same reasons.

If a young couple wanted to travel to a lovely tropical island just to be on a romantic getaway and didn't care about history, or architecture, or culture, or wild night life, or great shopping ... then I would suggest Grenada. It is not as touristy or overbuilt like so many islands in the West Indies. In fact no building is permitted to be built taller than a coconut palm tree!

Old 09-27-2016, 02:51 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,306,737 times
By far my favorite island(s) in the Caribbean are the Bahama Out Islands--especially the far out southern ones like Inagua, Mayaguana and Rum Cay. NOT anything near Nassau/PI or Freeport.

Old 09-27-2016, 05:49 PM

6,324 posts, read 3,470,141 times
St Martin/St Maarten, as you get 2 countries on one island. More touristy on the Dutch side. Laid back on the French side with great cuisine in Grand Case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or