U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 06:36 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,310,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes, kinda like London, Paris and Rome are mostly the same. Just boring big buildings, millions of people and lots of concrete.

Europe is for boring people. Every year it's a question of "which country to go to this time".

See how silly your post is?
Botticelli is either so obtusely dense beyond help, or he is purposely antagonistic. Whichever it is, he certainly doesn't have any credibility on this forum and I seriously doubt for a second that anyone actually takes him seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 01:58 AM

9,265 posts, read 10,937,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
Botticelli is either so obtusely dense beyond help, or he is purposely antagonistic. Whichever it is, he certainly doesn't have any credibility on this forum and I seriously doubt for a second that anyone actually takes him seriously.
Antagonistic, and I fell right into his trap.

Old 12-06-2016, 04:39 AM

8,664 posts, read 19,153,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
They aren't all mostly the same. Is Mustique the same as St.Thomas? Is Barbados the same as Anegada? I'm not a huge fan of the USVI but adore the BVIs, how is that possible if they are the same? You're being a travel snob! Instead of being that way why not help those who have not traveled as much discover the love?
He's not being a snob, he's being ignorant.

I travel to the Caribbean all the time ,as I split my time between here and there, and have for over 30yrs.

I never get bored of going to the same island...while the island itself doesn't change much, the people do and I love meeting tourists and other expats who want to explore the island and see more than just the resort.

to anyone heading to the islands...hiring yourself a good/reputable guide and get off the resort! There's so much more to see than the boundaries of your resort. The resorts don't like their guest leaving because they want their guests to buy alcohol, food, souvenirs and coffee from them instead of supporting the locals and buying it at a local store where they will spend a fraction of the cost.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:21 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,046,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post

to anyone heading to the islands...hiring yourself a good/reputable guide and get off the resort! There's so much more to see than the boundaries of your resort. The resorts don't like their guest leaving because they want their guests to buy alcohol, food, souvenirs and coffee from them instead of supporting the locals and buying it at a local store where they will spend a fraction of the cost.
We have been to Jamaica 5 times. 3 of those stays were in all inclusive s which..offered plenty of tours and 2 were at regular hotels "in town". We enjoyed checking out the local scene. I have heard of resorts telling guest how dangerous it is outside their gates. Since many in Jamaica are AI I don't understand that.

Old 12-06-2016, 04:04 PM

8,664 posts, read 19,153,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
We have been to Jamaica 5 times. 3 of those stays were in all inclusive s which..offered plenty of tours and 2 were at regular hotels "in town". We enjoyed checking out the local scene. I have heard of resorts telling guest how dangerous it is outside their gates. Since many in Jamaica are AI I don't understand that.
Jamaican resorts are notorious for telling their guests not to leave the resort..while there is crime, it's generally located in areas that tourists do not venture into. These resorts give very little back to the locals..very, very little...it's a shame really. We do our best to support locals in any way we can..it's not always easy, but we try

Old 12-06-2016, 04:56 PM

21,390 posts, read 21,961,490 times
Quote:
Yes, kinda like London, Paris and Rome are mostly the same. Just boring big buildings, millions of people and lots of concrete.

Europe is for boring people. Every year it's a question of "which country to go to this time".

See how silly your post is?
Euro-Snobbery Phenomenon

Old 12-07-2016, 01:37 AM

9,265 posts, read 10,937,027 times
Quote:
He's not being a snob, he's being ignorant.

I travel to the Caribbean all the time ,as I split my time between here and there, and have for over 30yrs.

I never get bored of going to the same island...while the island itself doesn't change much, the people do and I love meeting tourists and other expats who want to explore the island and see more than just the resort.

One of the things I loved about the BVIs (man, I really need to go back) is that they, accept for a few exceptions) really aren't "resort" islands. Stayed in an apartment in Tortola and wandered, took ferries to other islands and explored. Some people are more comfortable staying at resorts and all-inclusives, and that's fine. It's their vacation. The only all-inclusive I've ever stayed at was in Cabo San Lucas, not the Caribbean. Had a great time but we did leave the resort, took public buses around. Friends thought we were crazy for doing that.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:49 PM

29,557 posts, read 16,529,884 times
Quote:
to anyone heading to the islands...hiring yourself a good/reputable guide and get off the resort!
We rent a car and explore almost every country we have been to. It's a wonderful experience.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:54 PM

11,809 posts, read 6,336,646 times
Quote:
We travel more for the food and wine than anything else. I love going to Caribbean islands and eating at remote "hole in the wall" restaurants.

Here is one we went to in the Dominican Republic; Inicio | El Arponero Restaurante Hotel Boca de Yuma, Higuey.
That place looks amazing!! Like I wrote before, I've never been to the Caribbean, but the culinary scene in the D.R. has always put it high up on my list of places to visit in the region.

And, yeah, I won't even seriously consider voluntarily going to a region/country if there is not the prospect of great eating

Old 12-10-2016, 01:44 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,295,185 times
Quote:

I agree with you. You were "travelling". However, the vast majority of Americans and Canadians do not do what you do in the Carribeans. The vast majority spend the vast majority of time, if not all of it, in their resorts. And even if they venture out, it is in some organized bus tour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or