U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 09:33 PM

1,353 posts, read 545,573 times

Advertisements

There are many more places to stay in Honolulu other than Waikiki. You can go stay on the west side of the island -- Ko Olina. There are 4 man-made lagoons with hotels like Disney's Aulani and Four Seasons. It is 90 minutes from Honolulu and is as exclusive as many resorts on Big Island and Maui. You can also rent a car and venture into the north shore of Oahu. On weekdays first-rated beaches like Lanikai, Kailua and Waimea are seldom visited by tourists and locals. And beach like Hanauma Bay is a wonder. Hordes of fish swim around you in 3-ft deep water where you can snorkel.

For hiking, you can go on the Diamond Head where you can have a magnificent view of Honolulu. Or go to the Manoa Fall Hiking Trail where there is bamboo forest. Or go hiking on the Makupuu Lighthouse trail where you can watch whales. There are so many things to offer on Oahu alone.

Practically you don't even need to step into Waikiki which is in itself a tourist trap.

I have been to the East Caribbean and coastal towns like Cabo and Acapulco of Mexico. In term of water, those in Caribbean are more turquoise. But in term of romance, easy access to beach, landscape and safety, Hawaii beats them all.

But your budget is not enough for two weeks in Hawaii, especially if you plan to do island hopping.

P.S. The most important thing is there is no Zika virus in Hawaii. In fact, you seldom encounter with mosquitoes on Oahu's beaches. But in Caribbean beaches, the mosquitoes can swarm around you.

Last edited by Ian_Lee; 09-17-2016 at 10:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 10:53 PM

39,530 posts, read 47,699,472 times
Hawaii declares health emergency to fight mosquitoes carrying Zika, dengue fever.
https://www.rt.com/usa/332341-hawaii...uito-diseases/

Does Hawaii have mosquitoes? YES... Yes, all of the Hawaiian islands have mosquitoes
Are there mosquitoes in Hawaii?

Old 09-17-2016, 11:26 PM

450 posts, read 373,262 times
I would pick Cancun, but the Playa del Carmen/Riviera Maya instead of downtown Cancun. Caribbean water is warm, clean and you have options to visit Tulum, Xcaret, Xel-Ha, Chichen Itza and other places.

FWIW I've been to all 4 major Hawaiian islands and more than once each island.

Old 09-18-2016, 03:10 AM

9,253 posts, read 10,904,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
It's strange how people are comparing all the Hawaiian islands to the tourist city of Cancun as if that's all there is in all of Mexico. A more apt comparison would be Honolulu vs Cancun ... certainly OP can afford a Waikiki honeymoon pkg that's comparable to Cancun. The Yucatan has virtually all of the same activities available in Hawaii -- snorkeling, fishing, diving, trekking, ziplining, etc -- in its own natural beauty as well.
The poster asked about Cancun. There IS lots more to Mexico than Cancun, of course. And asking about "Hawaii" is also pretty generic. Several islands with many differences.

Old 09-18-2016, 04:56 AM

1,353 posts, read 545,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Hawaii declares health emergency to fight mosquitoes carrying Zika, dengue fever.
https://www.rt.com/usa/332341-hawaii...uito-diseases/

Does Hawaii have mosquitoes? YES... Yes, all of the Hawaiian islands have mosquitoes
Are there mosquitoes in Hawaii?
Dengue fever is just confined to Big Island. In Oahu and other islands there has not been any cases of Dengue fever.

Old 09-18-2016, 07:07 AM

1,088 posts, read 649,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanCarlson13 View Post
Not 100% set on Cancun (for Mexico), open to other locations in Mexico.

We would love a beachfront room.

I'm big on History and culture, so if there is any cool history things/monuments to check out, that would be cool.

NOW, for the things I've looked into for both places, this is what I have came up with.

CANCUN:
No specific resorts looked at, but I have a few questions.
Does "all inclusive" really mean all inclusive? Like transportation to resort, food, drinks, activities, snack bar, etc.?
Is it typical to rent a car in Mexico? We would be willing to drive to locations to do certain things if needed.
A resort that I noticed seemed good was Grand Fiesta Americana Puerto Villarta.
Any suggestions on good all inclusive resorts would be greatly appreciated!
Is the Chichen Itza worth visiting? It seems interesting
I have not been to Hawaii so I won't comment on that. Here's my two cents on Cancun though..

-I went once and did not rent a car. There are buses that will take you anywhere you want to go in town or in the "Hotel Zone." The bus is very inexpensive, but of course it won't give you the freedom of having a car.

-I stayed in a resort.. They didn't pick us up from the airport (although some might), but everything else was included. Here's the thing about that though... That's fine if you plan on staying at the resort and not going anywhere, but you will want to venture out. And you're paying for that "all inclusive" whether you eat and drink there, or not. So IMO don't do the all-inclusive thing... Again though, you might simply want to stay at the resort and not go anywhere - up to you. The food was only so-so at ours too.

-Chichen Itza is extremely cool. Especially if you're into history.. I'm not really into history at all, and still enjoyed it. We visited several of the Mayan ruins, and they are all special in their own way. At some of them you can even swim in the Cenotes (underground caves), which is a lot of fun. Here is where renting a car will come in handy though! Without a car you'll have to go on a bus tour to get to these places which can get expensive.. So rent the car and go on your own.

-Find a place on homeaway dot com instead of a resort. You can rent fully furnished apartments and condos right on the beach for a fraction of what a resort costs. Buy groceries and eat there, and then maybe venture out for dinner, and you can come away with an extremely nice - yet fairly inexpensive vacation!

-Also, look into other places than Cancun. My boss and his wife are big fans of Tulum - which is not far away, and is not nearly as crowded and "Touristy" as Cancun. Especially if you're just looking to relax... that might be something to consider.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:11 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,880,333 times
You won't be able to do Hawaii on that budget unless it's $2500 each, airfare alone from mainland can be $$$.
Cancun is nice, they also have all inclusive where food and drinks are included

Old 09-18-2016, 09:29 AM

5,269 posts, read 2,700,726 times
Go to Hawaii ... I was just n cancun and fell severely ill with food poisoning as well as many others in our group. We were at Breathless....theygave me five free nights to return but I'm afraid to eat the food there again.. I also felt trapped at the resort.. there was not much to do besides alcohol and beach.

Old 09-18-2016, 10:24 AM

339 posts, read 346,619 times
Cancun. Find an all inclusive resort that has the activities you want to do. No need to leave the resort, meals included. Cheaper than Hawaii.

Old 09-18-2016, 10:26 AM

339 posts, read 346,619 times
And if you're willing to consider other places, look into Jamaica, Bahamas, the Dominican Republic. Many have all inclusive resorts and direct flights. Check travelzoo or groupon for good pricing deals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or