U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 11:41 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,173,744 times

Advertisements

Maui One of the most beautiful places on earth ! Especially for a honeymoon.

Oahu is beautiful, too. Much easier to get around downtown Waikiki has shuttles everywhere, easy to rent a car for the day and drive to Sunset beach - if you want to snorkel at Hanama Bay there's all kinds of shuttles. There's so many restaurants on Oahu all different price ranges. Shopping is much cheaper on Oahu. Value wise if you're on a tight budget than Oahu overall would be a better value.

You may want to check out packages that include airfare, hotel & transportation from airport to hotel. Many times they are a much better value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 12:45 PM

9,190 posts, read 8,287,258 times
I love how some people are trying to second guess the OPs financial health.

He didn't ask us whether or not if he should go on a honeymoon.

He didn't ask us if he could afford a honeymoon.

He didn't ask for advice on his Roth/IRA.

He did specifically ask about Hawaii vs. Cancun.

Old 09-18-2016, 02:08 PM

3,995 posts, read 1,808,451 times
I've been to both Hawaii and Cozumel.
There's a reason I've been to Cozumel five times besides cost...

If you catch an early flight you can be on the beach that afternoon.
Go to Hawaii and you're flying. And flying. And flying.
The flight back REALLY sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post

Yeah... that's some funny advice.
Go camping for a honeymoon instead of an actual honeymoon? Good luck with that!

If I had to chintz out somewhere, it would be the wedding reception, not the honeymoon.
We had our reception in the church, then went out with a few friends afterward. It was great... and cheap!
Then we went on a very nice honeymoon in Cozumel. Also great and very romantic.

Last edited by eaton53; 09-18-2016 at 02:21 PM..

Old 09-18-2016, 02:33 PM

1,088 posts, read 649,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post

He did specifically put his budget in his original post though. I think most of his replies were trying to help him stay within that.

Old 09-18-2016, 02:45 PM

9,664 posts, read 18,856,303 times
Folks who live in Hawaii have the same airfare problem when it comes time to vacation, although for us, it's every vacation and not just the special ones. A lot of folks I know have been signing up for the Alaskan Airlines credit card. You get one 'companion fare' per year for $99 plus taxes and fees. (Comes out to about $120) and if you use the card to book the flight, you each get one checked bag for free. That may bring the cost of airfare down to where your next choice would be which island in Hawaii instead of if Hawaii is too expensive. Also, for some strange reason, if you want to bring back a case of pineapples, those can be checked without any additional fees.

Maui and Kauai are both very romantic islands for a honeymoon, as well as the Island of Hawaii (aka 'the Big Island'). Kauai is rather rural and not a lot of shopping, but very lovely and romantic. Maui is lovely, has shopping, hiking, water sports, etc. Big Island has all sorts of things, although it's significantly bigger and you'd spend a lot of time going from one side of the island to the other.

Honolulu (Oahu) has just too much traffic and congestion to be worthwhile, IMHO. We're starting to see loads of Oahu 'refugees' moving here to Hawaii Island in the past several months, partly due to the high costs of rents or to buy houses, but also because of the degradation of the quality of life due to crowding on Oahu.

I've not been to Cancun, though, so I can't directly compare Mexico to Hawaii.

Old 09-18-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
He did specifically put his budget in his original post though. I think most of his replies were trying to help him stay within that.
I just saw that. OP's budget will not go far in Hawaii.
A nice week in Cancun is well within his budget.

Old 09-18-2016, 04:41 PM

1,353 posts, read 545,573 times
From Fargo to Honolulu the airfare is about $950 in mid-May. From Fargo to Cancun it cost around $520.

Alaska Air does not fly to North Dakota.

Old 09-18-2016, 07:54 PM

11,043 posts, read 3,984,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
What about Costa Rica instead of Hawaii or Cancun? So much to do and see there.

I second that!! Cancun IMO is dirty and all people want to do is party. If you are set on Mexico there are much nice places such as Cozmel or Cabo San Lucas. I've only be to Maui in Hawaii and it was beautiful, but VERY expensive and your flight will eat your budget as others have already said. Costa Rica has a lot of what you are looking for and much cheaper than Hawaii.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:27 PM

9,188 posts, read 9,267,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanCarlson13 View Post
Here's a typical "Cancun or Hawaii" thread.
I've searched a lot, and I would like personal views of each, since both seem very intriguing to me.

We are both in our mid 20's, and will be getting married the beginning of May, 2017. We will be going on the honeymoon within 2 weeks after the wedding, so towards the end of May.

We are both adventurous, and love scenery/things to do.
The 3 biggest things we are looking for are:
1. Beaches
2. Relaxing
2. Things to do/activities
3. Scenery

Not 100% set on Cancun (for Mexico), open to other locations in Mexico.

We would love a beachfront room.

Things we would like to do (not all, most as possible)
Scuba Diving/Snorkeling
Hiking if possible
Swimming with dolphins
Ziplining
Possible Jet Ski's
Nightlife
Jungle/Open Top Jeeps
Shopping

I'm big on History and culture, so if there is any cool history things/monuments to check out, that would be cool.

NOW, for the things I've looked into for both places, this is what I have came up with.

CANCUN:
No specific resorts looked at, but I have a few questions.
Does "all inclusive" really mean all inclusive? Like transportation to resort, food, drinks, activities, snack bar, etc.?
Is it typical to rent a car in Mexico? We would be willing to drive to locations to do certain things if needed.
A resort that I noticed seemed good was Grand Fiesta Americana Puerto Villarta.
Any suggestions on good all inclusive resorts would be greatly appreciated!
Is the Chichen Itza worth visiting? It seems interesting

HAWAII:
I was torn between deciding which island to stay on, between Oahu and Maui.
The things I've looked into that interest me:
Diamond Head Peak, along with other hikes and climbs.
Bamboo forests.
Kokohead
Pearl Harbor Memorial
Volcanoes National Park
Stairway to Heaven in Oahu, from what I've read its illegal? But I've also read that many people do it anyway and that they don't care really, any info on that?
A resort I have noticed to be intriguing is Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort, but I haven't looked at them all. I am open to suggestions on any resorts you recommend!

Our budget is around $2,500-$3,000, including flight. I noticed some of the options for Cancun included the flight, so that is more investigating I will be doing.

Any information or suggestions is greatly appreciated!
Thanks so much!
Jordan

I've been to both and I think Hawaii is the clear winner. You can resolve the dilemma of picking between Maui and Oahu by staying on Oahu and arranging a flight over to Maui so you can spend a day there. You can leave in the morning and return at night. Hawaii is cleaner, neater, and safer than Cancun is. Plus, the beaches are better. I would recommend the following sites if you do stay on Oahu.

1. Hanama Bay. Beautiful beach and wonderful place for snorkeling. You can photograph sealife underwater if you desire.

2. Sea Life Park

3. Polynesian Cultural Center. Expensive, but an incredible look at native cultures in the Pacific Islands.

4. Pearl Harbor Memorial.

5. Kaneohe. Look for Buddhist Temples.

6. Go out to the Banzai Pipeline Beach and watch the surfers. The waves are incredible.

7. Diamond Head Park.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I second that!! Cancun IMO is dirty and all people want to do is party. If you are set on Mexico there are much nice places such as Cozmel or Cabo San Lucas. I've only be to Maui in Hawaii and it was beautiful, but VERY expensive and your flight will eat your budget as others have already said. Costa Rica has a lot of what you are looking for and much cheaper than Hawaii.

Cozumel can be cheaper than Cancun, too.
Cancun if you want to party, Cozumel if you want to relax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or