U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 11:11 PM

1,353 posts, read 545,573 times

Advertisements

If you go to the neighbor islands, I recommend you stay at least overnight or even longer.

The inter-island airfare is expensive. Round trip cost about $130. In Maui, I strongly recommend you to do a hike at the peak of Haleakala National Park. The view is stunning. Just the drive up and down the peak, and the hiking, will cost you almost an entire day.

If you try to save money, you can compromise on lodging. There are a lot of transient vacation rental and B&B in Waikiki. You can prepare food in the unit which saves you even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 03:06 AM

678 posts, read 464,701 times
the negatives I think with Cancun are, the beaches are public, that's fine but do you really want to be hassled by poor Mexicans trying to sell you junky trinkets or drugs?

also there is a high probability of coming down with some water or food borne sickness, I spent the last three days unable to leave room due to severe sickness.

the all inclusive is cheap booze, or cheap beer served in a styraphome cup, also cheap food that at home I would not feed to a dog.

Hawaii anyday.

Old 09-19-2016, 07:19 AM

16,018 posts, read 19,670,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Cancun will be cheaper, but Hawaii wins hands down for variation of terrain and scenery, things to do, places to see, etc.

Also, if I had 2 weeks, I'd do at least 2 islands.
Maui is where my daughter honeymooned, and a niece lived there for a few years. My daughter said that Maui smells wonderful from the moment you deplane.

Evidently there are lots of the opportunities to do the things that you listed.

I cannot offer information regarding your budget, which with hotel and food costs may be cutting it close for Hawaii. Others will have more specific's.

Hope you enjoy yourself no matter which you choose.

Last edited by JanND; 09-19-2016 at 07:35 AM..

Old 09-19-2016, 07:32 AM

16,018 posts, read 19,670,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I love how some people are trying to second guess the OPs financial health.

He didn't ask us whether or not if he should go on a honeymoon.

He didn't ask us if he could afford a honeymoon.

He didn't ask for advice on his Roth/IRA.

He did specifically ask about Hawaii vs. Cancun.
Well, at least their posts offered something constructive for the OP. Yours just seems snarky imo

Old 09-19-2016, 08:30 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,880,333 times
Quote:

He also stated a budget of 2500-3000 which is not going to cut it for Hawaii,lets face it a budget of 2500-3000 for two people is not going to get you much. If he meant 2500-3000 per person that is different.

From original post of his wants he would need at least 5-6 K budget for two people. I've also never seen an all inclusive in Hawaii,maybe some one can chime in on that.
There are plenty other places in Mexico and some one mentioned Costa Rica, which is a viable option for what he wants but again Costa Rica is not as cheap as it once was and he may need to bump up his budget. Dominican Republic is an option on that budget too.

His wants
We would love a beachfront room.

Things we would like to do (not all, most as possible)
Scuba Diving/Snorkeling
Hiking if possible
Swimming with dolphins
Ziplining
Possible Jet Ski's
Nightlife
Jungle/Open Top Jeeps
Shopping

Last edited by njkate; 09-19-2016 at 08:51 AM..

Old 09-19-2016, 08:46 AM

3,995 posts, read 1,808,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Swimming with dolphins

Do that in the ocean.

Old 09-19-2016, 09:01 AM

762 posts, read 438,353 times
I've done both (not for a honeymoon though lol). With what you want, Hawaii. While you get more bang for your $$ in Mexico, when I went to Cancun (based on my interests) it really was just a lay out by the beach, eat, drink, and do an occasional tour. While Hawaii is more expensive, to me you have more things to really do. I lived on the Big Island and while I loved it, I cannot imagine having a honeymoon on it. If you like getting out, exploring, and having more things to do aside from laying at the beach, I would do Maui or Oahu. Oahu would probably be cheaper. Kauai to me is the most beautiful but I think there's more to do on Oahu and Maui.

Old 09-19-2016, 09:04 AM

16,720 posts, read 14,688,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misscross View Post
I would pick Cancun, but the Playa del Carmen/Riviera Maya instead of downtown Cancun. Caribbean water is warm, clean and you have options to visit Tulum, Xcaret, Xel-Ha, Chichen Itza and other places.

FWIW I've been to all 4 major Hawaiian islands and more than once each island.
I vote the same thing.

Old 09-19-2016, 09:14 AM

2,125 posts, read 2,909,737 times
OP, your title says Cancun vs Hawaii but the resort you mentioned on your post about Cancun is actually in Puerta Vallarta, which is NOT in Cancun, not even on the same coast!

I've been to both Hawaii and Riviera Maya (where Cancun is located) and prefer Riviera Maya any day, and here's why:

Hawaii:
I've only been to Oahu and Maui and I liked Maui better (less crowd, less traffic, but still has decent amenities and convenience for a tourist like me). Maui offers a diverse landscape from tropical rain forest to dry volcano desert but you definitely need a car to explore the island fully. Husband and I did the 52-mile 'Road to Hana' car trip and took the back roads on the return loop so we could see the volcano park and it was a beautiful 1-day road trip. You can finish the road trip in less than a day of course but we did it leisurely with many stops along the way to see waterfalls, digging our toes into the black sand beach of Wai’anapanapa State Park, etc. What I disliked about Hawaii: very expensive and long flight (8+ hours from east coast), food was not that great, and the people were just not that welcoming (sorry). That's why we haven't returned since our first visit.

Riviera Maya:
Cancun is more convenient than other popular places in the area if you don't have a car simply because you can hop on the R1/R2 buses (it costs around 85 cents per ride) that run from the hotel zone to downtown, and then you can connect to other southern locations from there. I love Playa Del Carmen better because it doesn't attract as much spring break type crowds as Cancun while still close enough to attractions if you are bored. I suggest you rent a car - if only for 1 day - to explore the place from Cancun down to points south. There's no above ground river in the entire Yucatan Peninsula but it has tons of Cenotes - underground rivers with water so clear you can peer right through the clear turquise water to see the tropical fish swimming near the bottom. You can also check out nearby islands (Isla Mujeres and Cozumel) by taking a ferry across and while on those islands, you can rent a motorbike to explore (that's what we did). You need a car to explore the peninsula and better experience the place and culture. It has Mayan ruins up the wazoo, with Chichen Itza as the biggest and most popular one (no, climbing the ruin is not allowed at Chichen Itza). But they have one smaller ruin in Cancun itself, at the tip of it near Club Med, climbing allowed too. I personally prefered the ruins in Tulum and Coba, much more beautiful and in Tulum you can snorkel to see the ruins below water. The little village in Merida is also very charming. We've done both the all-inclusive and independent thing (rented a condo directly from an owner) and found each served its own function based on your preference and budget. You can rent a beachfront condo in Cancun for $70 per night (maybe less depending on season. Definitely cheaper if it faces the lagoon instead of the beach, even cheaper if it's not on the beach at all) or anywhere from $250 - $1200 per night for all-inclusive resorts. You can tell I love this place, we've been back 4 times thus far. The peninsula is beautiful with diverse culture, awesome food, warm people, easy to get to from east coast (2.5 hours) and affordable.

All-inclusive usually doesn't cover any optional services such as day trips to anywhere outside of the resort, spa services, motorized water activities, etc. But it does include all meals (including room service), gratuities, drinks including watered down alcoholic drinks (you pay extra for top shelf brands), any entertainment / shows inside the resort.

Many tourists go to Riviera Maya and never step foot outside of their resort gate. That's pefectly fine if that's what you want to do but you can't say there's nothing else to see or do in Cancun if you haven't gone beyond the buffet table in your entire trip.

Old 09-19-2016, 09:25 AM

5,247 posts, read 5,168,715 times
Quote:

I agree that people shouldn't say, "Don't go! Fund retirement!" Or even try to change his mind. But I think saying, "Hey, that budget, if for both of you, isn't realistic for Hawaii so you'll have to stick with Cancun," is more than reasonable and applicable to this conversation.

Now, will the OP come back? Hm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or