Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 03:50 PM

774 posts, read 744,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Well, because usually when you travel somewhere, you spend your money there.
Yes, that's my point. Why do it in Mexico. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 04:16 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspistol View Post
Yes, that's my point. Why do it in Mexico. Thanks.
Because that's where Cancun is.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:18 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Hawaii----its the USA, go traveling but keep your money inside the country! Also, more security for a US citizen if you're in your own country, too much crap happening in the world now.

Old 09-19-2016, 07:55 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP79 View Post
I would recommend neither, and going to Jamaica

LOVE Jamaica!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-19-2016, 08:15 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,735,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I haven't been to Hawaii so I can't comment, but I have done the all inclusive thing in Mexico.

All inclusive means exactly that. All your food (meals and snacks) and drinks are included. Liquor, beer, wine, etc. Depending on resort, many have a mini bar in your room as well. Some include transportation to the resort for free, some you pay extra. Many also have things such as kayaking, snorkling, short excursions, etc included. Others offer other excursions for an extra cost.

The Pacific side of Mexico is a rougher ocean, and in generally more mountainous. The Caribbean side is going to be clearer water and calmer (in general). You can still swim in the ocean opn the Pacific side, usually, but the waves can beat you down! (ask me how I know ) Some places, like Cabo, have areas you can't swim in the ocean at all.

We stayed at Riu Palace Pacifico in Puerto Vallarta almost 2 years ago. We rented a car for a day and explored the downtown/boardwalk area and shopped, and visited a tequila distillery, which was a lot of fun. Most of the time we just enjoyed the resort and beach. We were also able to walk down the beach to another Riu property and eat in one of their restaurants as well.

Since it is your honeymoon you may want to look into adults-only all inclusives as well.
I'm a big fan of an all inclusive. The Flight to Mexico is much shorter than to Hawaii.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:11 PM

762 posts, read 610,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Yeah I agree. Oahu was boring compared to Riviera Maya. I mean, unless you like a big city with a million tourists, and no room on the beach to lay out; there's always the Polynesian Cultural Center which took up a whole day but it was a little cheesy. Hanauma Bay was gorgeous but packed with people.

Tulum and Chichen Itza are beautiful, and if you like to snorkel, there's Xcaret which is awesome and beautiful. I never felt crowded at any of those locations.
I went to all those sites in Cancun. While they were interesting (and I got to swim with manatees in Xcaret), I would much rather be in Hawaii.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:53 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LamarOdomsDealer View Post
I went to all those sites in Cancun. While they were interesting (and I got to swim with manatees in Xcaret), I would much rather be in Hawaii.
I've been to both places as well. When I was in Cancun, I saw Xcaret, Tulum, Xel Hua, and Chichen Itza. All are great sites. However, I would choose Hawaii over Cancun because:

1. The cost was roughly similar.

2. Hawaii is cleaner and you are far less likely to get sick.

3. Hawaii is safer because violent crime there is very rare.

4. Its easier to navigate for someone who is English speaking.

5. Its easier to get around with a rental car.

The variety of answers here though definitely makes the point that some disagree with us. I think Mexico may appeal more to those with a great sense of adventure. Hawaii appeals more to those who seek something beautiful and safe. In reviewing the OP's post, it appears that they are interested in pursuing a lot of water sports. They can pursue these sports in each place. It does make their vacation budget though seem unrealistically low.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:04 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
If you go to the neighbor islands, I recommend you stay at least overnight or even longer.

The inter-island airfare is expensive. Round trip cost about $130. In Maui, I strongly recommend you to do a hike at the peak of Haleakala National Park. The view is stunning. Just the drive up and down the peak, and the hiking, will cost you almost an entire day.

If you try to save money, you can compromise on lodging. There are a lot of transient vacation rental and B&B in Waikiki. You can prepare food in the unit which saves you even more.
That is a huge cost savings, but I am wondering if the OP will really want to do their own cooking while on their honeymoon? I know when I am on vacation I don't want to cook!

Old 09-20-2016, 12:16 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,053,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
That is a huge cost savings, but I am wondering if the OP will really want to do their own cooking while on their honeymoon? I know when I am on vacation I don't want to cook!
True for sure, and I generally feel the same way.

However, the couple of times I've been to HI with the family it's been super helpful and economical to make simple breakfasts and/or lunches and then have a nice dinner out. It gets you on the road quicker. Saves a ton of $. And so on.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:35 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
True for sure, and I generally feel the same way.

However, the couple of times I've been to HI with the family it's been super helpful and economical to make simple breakfasts and/or lunches and then have a nice dinner out. It gets you on the road quicker. Saves a ton of $. And so on.
Vacation with the family is one thing, honeymoon is another

Judging from the budget the OP gave, I don't think HI is really doable unless the budget can be increased, though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel