U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 01:39 PM

3,661 posts, read 6,483,307 times

Advertisements

I vote an AI in Cancun (thats what we did, I believe we stayed in Playa Del Carmen)

Should be a lot cheaper.
Less travel involved.
Less planning needed..you can do as much or nothing if you want.
Don't have to think.... Wake up, eat, pool or beach, afternoon delights perhaps, a nice dinner, activities at night.. Boom!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 10:22 AM

3,203 posts, read 3,196,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
That is a huge cost savings, but I am wondering if the OP will really want to do their own cooking while on their honeymoon? I know when I am on vacation I don't want to cook!
Well if the OP does end up in Oahu they can try the Steak Shack:
https://www.yelp.com/biz/steak-shack-honolulu

It's like $8 for a heaping portion of tasty chicken or steak, rice and salad. One meal actually lasted me for two meals.

Also, they could 'maybe' stop by an ABC store or one of the other corner/street stores and get things like maybe boiled eggs or fruit for breakfast and I even grabbed some pretty tasty yaki soba noodles already cooked and pre packaged poke for a couple of lunches. I know those stores are not exactly cheap since they're convenience stores and it's not gourmet food but it wasn't bad and it's an alternative to both expensive restaurants and time spent cooking in the room.

I also packed two large bags of pistachios, some trail mix, like a dozen plus granola bars and my favorite cookies and brought them with me and these items subbed for many of my lunch meals while out hiking or lounging, etc.

Just a few thoughts to cut back on cost.

I forgot the duration of the trip (2 weeks?) but OP could stay a shorter timeframe as well. 9-10 days instead? Sometimes that could make it an even better trip because you have a few days to truly take your time packing/preparing to go, and take your time unpacking, relaxing and settling back in when you get back.

Best of luck in your decision Please do update us on your choice!

Old 09-21-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
There are a lot of things to do in Oahu other than staying in Waikiki.

For example, the hiking destination that OP mentioned -- Haiku Stairs (Stairway to Heaven) -- is one of the most treacherous trails but also offers the most gorgeous view. Most tourists, unless young and energetic and venturesome, will not dare hike on it.

Others like Pali Lookout which is so windy but also offers magnificent view of the Windward side of the island. Byodo In Temple, which is exactly a replica of the temple in Kyoto, offers you a rare opportunity to feed birds with food on your palm.

The most ideal itinerary is: 7 nights in Oahu + 2 nights on Big Island + 2 nights on Maui
Haiku stairs isn't accessible to the public is it?

I'm enjoying this thread as I plan to return to Oahu in November and possibly do a 2 night stay on another island (Kauai?). And I also plan to visit Mexico in December (would love to do maybe Guanajuato>San Miguel de Allende>Isla Holbox>Playa del Carmen).

Old 09-21-2016, 01:34 PM

1,353 posts, read 545,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Haiku stairs isn't accessible to the public is it?

I'm enjoying this thread as I plan to return to Oahu in November and possibly do a 2 night stay on another island (Kauai?). And I also plan to visit Mexico in December (would love to do maybe Guanajuato>San Miguel de Allende>Isla Holbox>Playa del Carmen).
Actually I shouldn't recommend Haiku Stairs because it is illegal to trespass even though many hikers still take the risk.

There are many hiking trails on Oahu which view is absolutely stunning, i.e. Sacred Falls. But the problem is the more gorgeous the trail is, the more risk the hikers take.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
Actually I shouldn't recommend Haiku Stairs because it is illegal to trespass even though many hikers still take the risk.

There are many hiking trails on Oahu which view is absolutely stunning, i.e. Sacred Falls. But the problem is the more gorgeous the trail is, the more risk the hikers take.
I was hoping you'd come back and say it's been reopened

It looks amazing. I'm not much of a thrill seeker but I would love to get see what kind of photos I could get from such a vantage point. Oh well. I'll look into Sacred Falls though.

ETA: So I looked up Sacred Falls. It's been closed due a landslide that resulted in several deaths and injuries.

I could see how this would happen; I about broke my neck slipping and sliding around while stepping on muddy rocks at Manoa Falls. So word to the wise: whatever kind of activities you're into, make sure you research them first and prepare accordingly. Safety first.

Old 09-21-2016, 04:55 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,173,744 times
Where did OP go ? There's a lot of great comments on here !

Old 09-25-2016, 06:09 PM

24,980 posts, read 23,891,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Vacation with the family is one thing, honeymoon is another

Judging from the budget the OP gave, I don't think HI is really doable unless the budget can be increased, though
My brother and his wife did that. They ate very little for breakfast, and were out for the day, so bought food wherever they happened to be. Their primary meal was usually a late lunch, but they had dinner at a nice restaurant a couple of times.

Old 10-03-2016, 01:28 PM
DKM

2,821 posts, read 1,005,409 times
Been to both many times and all I can add is Hawaii's nightlife is about as exciting as North Dakota's. The water will be colder too. So because I care a lot about nightlife and swimming in the ocean, Cancun wins for me all else being equal. Its also closer to you...

Old 09-03-2017, 05:30 PM

25 posts, read 12,838 times
Interesting that the word "weather" doesn't occur once in this thread. Might be a consideration comparing Hawaii and Yucatan...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or