U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2016, 07:03 PM

2 posts, read 822 times

Advertisements

In 2018, I'm likely going to be going on vacation to either Southern Europe or Eastern Asia with my family. I need some opinions as to which one would be better to visit?

If we go to Europe: 12 Days, Driving through Spain (3 days), France (4 days) and Italy (5 days).
If we go to Asia: 12 Days, 6 days in Japan, 6 days in either South Korea or Thailand.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 07:47 AM

7,316 posts, read 4,162,308 times
That's like asking people to help you choose between chocolate ice cream and cheesecake. Both are good, but very different!

Perhaps if you describe what you'd like to get out of this vacation, folks can provide you with some more guidance. What sorts of things do you want to see and do? And when would you be going?

Old 09-20-2016, 03:32 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,411,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by system32 View Post
In 2018, I'm likely going to be going on vacation to either Southern Europe or Eastern Asia with my family. I need some opinions as to which one would be better to visit?

If we go to Europe: 12 Days, Driving through Spain (3 days), France (4 days) and Italy (5 days).
If we go to Asia: 12 Days, 6 days in Japan, 6 days in either South Korea or Thailand.

Thanks!
What do you mean "better"? Better for what?

Old 09-20-2016, 06:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,592 posts, read 39,962,822 times
Family?

Ages? / interests?

your southern Europe trip is a very long ways with high fuel and tolls for a VERY short time frame. France and Spain are each big enough to occupy 12 days, or... you just do a Mediterranean loop. (in that small portion of each country) but.... a car can be a bother in bigger cites.

If Asia, stay nearby (i.e. Japan / Korea) You can do Thailand and Vietnam / Cambodia / Malaysia in one LONG trip. (30 day minimum)

If you have a family that likes to travel.... get an international job. (Worked great for our family). Being paid to travel is sweet, especially when your company pays for your family to accompany. We home-schooled and traveled nearly daily (since family / kids were free to tag along at any time & short notice).

Old 09-21-2016, 06:21 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,971,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by system32 View Post

Thanks!
These type of posts just seem so lazy to me. I was getting travel inspiration from National Geographic, TV, movies, newspapers, books (fiction and non-fiction) as a kid, long before I ever traveled outside the States. At minimum the OP could be reading travel guides and looking at tour group agendas.

Live, work, read, and research.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:47 AM

505 posts, read 460,479 times
I don't think you realise the size and amount of things to do and see in all those countries you say (either in Europe or Asia)... To me 12 days in a country like Japan, France, Italy or Spain (I haven;t been to the other 2) would feel EXTREMELY short and would limit my visit to an area or a couple of cities. Let alone your project of planning to see Spain in 3 days or France in 4 or Italy in 5... It is crazy. Unless all you want to say is "I have been to Spain"... then technically... yes...

Old 09-21-2016, 01:13 PM

261 posts, read 163,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikebxl View Post
I don't think you realise the size and amount of things to do and see in all those countries you say (either in Europe or Asia)... To me 12 days in a country like Japan, France, Italy or Spain (I haven;t been to the other 2) would feel EXTREMELY short and would limit my visit to an area or a couple of cities. Let alone your project of planning to see Spain in 3 days or France in 4 or Italy in 5... It is crazy. Unless all you want to say is "I have been to Spain"... then technically... yes...
My sentiments exactly.

If it were me, If all I had was 12 days - stick to one country and really get into it.

Maybe go to a few different towns or two different provinces, otherwise, think of how much time and money you are spending to get around over long distances...when you could go deeper where you have already paid to be.

The whole 'I have been there' thing is just sad.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:39 PM

15,076 posts, read 19,019,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
That's like asking people to help you choose between chocolate ice cream and cheesecake. Both are good, but very different!

Perhaps if you describe what you'd like to get out of this vacation, folks can provide you with some more guidance. What sorts of things do you want to see and do? And when would you be going?
AND ages of those traveling with you. But I agree with the others. One country is better. Remember, you're losing at least 2-3 days of your 12 with traveling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or