U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 03:22 PM

5,721 posts, read 4,630,153 times

Advertisements

I like to use Airfarewatchdog.com sometimes... it's been around forever now and definitely a good one.
What are some others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 05:28 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,097,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I like to use Airfarewatchdog.com sometimes... it's been around forever now and definitely a good one.
What are some others?
Here are a few that I get alerts from:

The Flight Deal
Travel Pirates
Secret Flying
Fare Deal Alert

Old 09-21-2016, 11:40 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,647 posts, read 40,010,157 times
ryanair

SWA (low cost calendar)
Frontier (Den club)
legacy carriers weds e-deals (for following weekends)

Old 09-22-2016, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
Here are a few that I get alerts from:

The Flight Deal
Travel Pirates
Secret Flying
Fare Deal Alert
Never played around with any of those, nice I will check them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
ryanair

SWA (low cost calendar)
Frontier (Den club)
legacy carriers weds e-deals (for following weekends)
I love the SWA low cost calendar... as someone that can be fairly flexible with their travel it's become somewhat of a hobby trying to find crazy deals to some country or city I've never been. Frontier definitely has nice deals to Vegas and so on sometimes.

Old 09-22-2016, 11:56 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,647 posts, read 40,010,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
"... as someone that can be fairly flexible with their travel it's become somewhat of a hobby trying to find crazy deals to some country or city I've never been. ...
flexibility is KEY to low fares.

I keep 8 - 15 future 'potential' flights booked on SWA at all times. (free changes, which I use frequently)

While in Europe, I paid the extra 30 Euro for a Ryanair 'business' fare that allowed free changes, seat selection and early boarding. It paid for the 30E many times, due to many changes, especially as airports got closed due to terrorism. (yet another thing to 'plan' for these days. )

I wish I was only stricken with standard wanderlust... I have a major / acute case

it was inherited / way of life (truckdriver parents)
I have to be going 'somewhere' all the time.

Maybe 30 yrs of night shift in the factory contributes to my cabin fever.

Living on a beautiful island in Canada just about killed me.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:03 PM

9,215 posts, read 9,286,664 times
If its an international flight in particular, I would suggest skyscanner.com

Old 09-22-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
flexibility is KEY to low fares.

I keep 8 - 15 future 'potential' flights booked on SWA at all times. (free changes, which I use frequently)

While in Europe, I paid the extra 30 Euro for a Ryanair 'business' fare that allowed free changes, seat selection and early boarding. It paid for the 30E many times, due to many changes, especially as airports got closed due to terrorism. (yet another thing to 'plan' for these days. )

I wish I was only stricken with standard wanderlust... I have a major / acute case.

it was inherited / way of life (truckdriver parents)
I have to be going 'somewhere' all the time.

Maybe 30 yrs of night shift in the factory contributes to my cabin fever.

Living on a beautiful island in Canada just about killed me.
I hear ya I've always been like that too..since I was a little kid. I'm already checking out that that nice deal to Colombia from Fort Lauderdale on TravelPirates. Looks interesting. I've been to Aruba which is just a stones throw away, but have never actually been to South America. Doesn't Southwest charge you for the free changes option? How does that work?

Old 09-22-2016, 07:54 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,097,565 times
Since you're flexible the sites that I posted also send out alerts for error fares. In addition to great fares you can end up traveling to places you wouldn't have normally considered. I have gone to the UAE and will be going to South Africa because of such fares. Even if you are only semi flexible some of the fare are cheap enough that even if you can't make it, it isn't a great loss.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:06 PM

7,686 posts, read 16,118,897 times
If you're willing to do down that rabbit hole and understand what the site does and doesn't do, (It''s more of a 'here's how to learn to fish' place than a place where someone give you a fish, as the saying goes) Flyer Talk is a primary source for many a 'mistake' airline and hotel deal.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:48 AM

3,746 posts, read 7,044,548 times
My first step is to use Kayak's search feature and maybe even set up a fare alert. I personally don't have a whole lot of faith that they're going to find me any deals; however, I think it's a good resource to get an idea of what the market price is and deep-dive into some of the other links mentioned above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or