U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 04:28 AM

5,163 posts, read 2,780,290 times

Advertisements

I knew someone who had to continually drive from Maryland to Florida & back. She would drive to a hotel or motel (a decent one), park close to the lobby & sleep in backseat of her car. She would put a cover on the windshield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 04:51 AM

17,628 posts, read 11,181,563 times
When traveling, and wanting to grab a little sleep, we would sometimes pull into a truck stop. They are well lit, and a lot of other cars and trucks are there with people doing the same thing. Most have showers and bathrooms too. I would think that would be one safe place to consider.

Don

Old 09-24-2016, 04:54 AM

439 posts, read 594,220 times
I had a friend who voluntarily became homeless, just to save money for a while. He did it for about 6 months. He said by far the biggest obstacle was finding a place to sleep in his car undisturbed

Old 09-24-2016, 05:48 AM

5,677 posts, read 6,775,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I just wanted to add, there is a neighbor here where I live in the subsidized senior apt building who was homeless before she moved in here. She tried to pay all of her bills, and sold her car to try and stay above water. She said that was her biggest mistake, because she ended up sleeping under bridges and in danger. So, keep the car at all costs, or some car, if you can't keep that one.
Absolutely. Whatever you do, keep your wheels, that is shelter and mobility.

There was a time when I went from 'rolling in dough' to barely making enough to eat on. Even worse, was the fact that I had made the rise to having a bunch of money fairly quickly and had been spending indiscriminately- and spending *more* than I was making via credit cards. When the bottom fell out I crashed hard.

I was living in my truck, eating mostly just bread and cold canned beans. I couldn't make the payments on the truck and I knew it was only a matter of time before it got repo'd. Fortunately, by minimizing my food costs I managed to save enough dough to by an, old used junkbox of a car by the time the repo man caught up with me. It wasn't pretty, but it ran and it didn't leak when it rained.

I slept in parking lots of grocery stores, hotels, restaurants, truckstops, office parks, etc. In my opinion, truckstops and all-night diners are best, because there are always people around and mostly you don't get bothered. I preferred to park in a lighted area close to where people were, rather than in a dark corner. In an office park or closed business there is a better chance of getting rousted by cops- just tell them you were driving and got too tired to continue so you decided you'd better get some sleep.

Parking in deserted, and worse, darkened areas increases the chance that either cops or miscreants will choose to investigate your vehicle and discover you. Parking where there are lights and people provides a better measure of safety. Sure, people will see you, but so what? They don't know what your situation really is, plenty of people who are traveling will grab some ZZZs at truckstops.

Scope out a number of places and rotate between them, don't stay at the same place all the time. If you stay at the same place all the time, it increases the odds that you will be noticed. That is generally not a good thing, unless you build some sort of relationship with the proprietor/employees of the establishment and get tacit permission to continue. In that case, they may even be willing to watch out for you.

Good luck.

Old 09-24-2016, 05:57 AM

2,455 posts, read 1,066,757 times
When we traveled a lot (when younger) we slept in the car every other night to save money. Truck stops are the best. NOT rest areas, lot of cruising going on there and many have a 2 or 4 hour limit. Any all night establishment, if you ask permission they usually don't mind. This worked, as I said, when we were traveling and could play the "We've been driving all day" card. Not sure how it would work if you are in the same town day after day.

Although I knew a homeless woman (and you would never guess by looking at her) who would stay in a truck stop parking lot regularly, in the same one.

Old 09-24-2016, 07:02 AM

7,670 posts, read 4,712,277 times
Just this last Labor Day we were traveling north on I5. By the time we started looking for a hotel, they were all booked. So we ended up at a rest stop in Southern Oregon. The sign said four hour limit.

We were driving my van, which has a sofa in the back that converts to a not-very-comfortable bed. DH went to sleep instantly but I had to get up multiple times to relieve back pain, so I watched the other people come and go. No one ever came through to check we'd overstayed the limit. A number of cars that were there when we arrived were still there in the morning.

Living as we do in Silicon Valley, we see people car and RV camping every day in the area. I think the trick is to make it seem like the vehicle is just parked there. If you can conceal your presence with window shades, park in a quiet neighborhood. If your car doesn't look disreputable, it should be easy to pull off.

The police here are too busy avoiding the public to go around knocking on car windows.

Old 09-24-2016, 07:24 AM

10,298 posts, read 4,871,936 times
I agree - a truck stop, hospital parking lot or a 24 hour Wal-Mart. Just don't park all the way in the back. I'm really sorry you are going through this. I can't even begin to imagine how difficult this is.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:59 AM

3,206 posts, read 3,199,498 times
I don't have anything additional to add other than I am sorry that you are going through this and I hope the best for you that this situation turns around for the better for you as soon as possible.

Old 09-24-2016, 03:37 PM

5,163 posts, read 2,780,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
When we traveled a lot (when younger) we slept in the car every other night to save money. Truck stops are the best. NOT rest areas, lot of cruising going on there and many have a 2 or 4 hour limit. Any all night establishment, if you ask permission they usually don't mind. This worked, as I said, when we were traveling and could play the "We've been driving all day" card. Not sure how it would work if you are in the same town day after day.

Although I knew a homeless woman (and you would never guess by looking at her) who would stay in a truck stop parking lot regularly, in the same one.

I agree, truck stops are not always the safest place for a female traveling alone, even though there are more solo female truck drivers.

Truck stops are sometimes frequented by "lot lizards", a very crude term for women (usually), who hang out there to "service" drivers...you do not want to be around that.

Old 09-24-2016, 07:04 PM

7,358 posts, read 3,042,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
might be becoming homeless soon. I was thinking at a parking lot of a Church. Any other ideas where I won't be likely be bothered by anyone trying to sleep
Assume you have a job, so have money for gas, auto registration and insurance? Don't let this happen to you. Once it does its nearly impossible to return. You can do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or