U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Mexico or Europe for 2 weeks in December...?
Mexico: Cheaper, warmer, closer! 8 28.57%
Europe: 2 weeks off?! You have to go here! 17 60.71%
Neither: <<Please elaborate>> 3 10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 01:20 PM

3,204 posts, read 3,198,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
OP, if you're paying with miles, how about looking at it from savings perspective? I'd check out the ticket prices for both Mexico and Europe (obviously you need to pick a destination city first) and see which ticket price is more expensive. Then you'll know which destination will give you more value for miles. As a general rule, I wouldn't use my miles for anything less than $500 roundtrip. The higher the ticket price, the more value you'll get for your miles.

My guess is, Mexico will be more expensive around Chirstmas than certain cities in Europe, simply because it's warmer there and more people want to go there - the old supply and demand rule. I've been to Mexico during Christmas time a couple of times and it was always packed with snow birds from all over the world - especially Americans and Canadians.

Or you can go to places in Europe that's relatively warmer - say, Sicily (relatively warmer being the key words here).
Using United (my preferred carrier) dates of Dec16-30, to go to Barcelona is over $1400; going to Cancun is $670.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 09:30 AM

2,658 posts, read 1,550,599 times
I'd go to Europe and do the Christmas Markets. We went to the Netherlands and Germany in December and it was cold but pleasant. The markets are great and there were no lines at things that are usually packed (Anne Frank House, for example). We had a blast and would do it again in a heartbeat!

Old 10-10-2016, 09:35 AM

67 posts, read 29,060 times
Never spent Christmas away from home. I wouldn't want to be away from family on that special holiday.

Old 10-10-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alices00ze View Post
Never spent Christmas away from home. I wouldn't want to be away from family on that special holiday.
So is your vote for Mexico or Europe?

Old 10-14-2016, 10:41 AM

5,300 posts, read 3,303,945 times
Have you decided yet? I'm trying to decide the same thing. I really want to go to Europe again, but I'm thinking it might be better to go to Mexico because the weather will be nicer and the flight is about half the price.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:14 PM

749 posts, read 596,940 times
I would go for Europe all the way. Due to the closeness Mexico would be much less of an excitement for an American.

Old 10-15-2016, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Have you decided yet? I'm trying to decide the same thing. I really want to go to Europe again, but I'm thinking it might be better to go to Mexico because the weather will be nicer and the flight is about half the price.
Not officially. I'm leaning towards Europe because it's rare I have this amount of time off to travel. Plus I will lose my status if I don't fly about 5k miles by end of year. Also, it's a better value for the miles to go there because of the flight price.

So my dilemma is a bit different since I'll be using miles to pay for my flight. Weather is definitely a consideration but I have a flight booked to Hawaii already for November as mentioned in my original post so if I do keep that flight I think I'll be ok with having my 'warm time' then.

I wish I could do both...maybe like 9 days in Spain and end in Playa del Carmen where it'll be warm. But I think I will have to take advantage of the time in Europe and spend it all there.

Keep me posted on your decision! How much time do you have off?

Old 10-16-2016, 03:31 AM

9,255 posts, read 10,910,982 times
I think you already know what you want to do, Europe. You have your beachy time coming up with Oahu. Wherever you go in Europe it won't be warm, more of a season to explore cities and towns. And I'm terribly jealous!

Old 10-16-2016, 08:45 AM

510 posts, read 305,299 times
I would choose Europe. I've spent a lot of time in Europe in the winter months. Never a long vacation but usually a few days added on to business travel. It will be cold but not 'Chicago-cold'. It will be uncrowded and easy to move around. Cultural attractions will be much easier to visit and enjoy without crowds. The Christmas markets in various cities are interesting and fun. There's a lot to do and you can play it by ear since you wont be competing with crowds. If it's a dry day, stroll around the cities and towns. Raining, visit a museum or like we did in Brussels, tour some breweries. Do some wine tasting in Burgundy and you'll likely be the only ones there.

Mexico is great but will always be there for a one week vacation.

Old 10-16-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I think you already know what you want to do, Europe. You have your beachy time coming up with Oahu. Wherever you go in Europe it won't be warm, more of a season to explore cities and towns. And I'm terribly jealous!
Southern Spain will definitely be warmer than Chicago by far...

As of today the cities I'm considering are:
-Paris
-Lisbon
-Cordoba
-Seville
-Madrid (required day trip to Segovia)
-Barcelona*

*Barcelona is a non-negotiable, meaning I will definitely go and end the trip there. Right now I have 14-16 days altogether to use. I was thinking I need to pick three cities and call it a day...four might be feasible but then again might be pushing it.

However, I am actually considering cancelling the Hawaii trip. For personal reasons...but I did go to Hawaii back in July. I don't know about that yet; I have a ton of decisions to make and not much time (I'm so indecisive sometimes).

If I cancel Hawaii I'd have another potential 8-10 days I could add to Europe but not sure if that would be feasible pricewise yet unless I get a home exchange going soon.

Last edited by southkakkatlantan; 10-16-2016 at 03:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or