U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 10:17 PM

4,690 posts, read 2,540,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar21 View Post
On my trip to Greece for a week i have come across some pretty obnoxious Germans, they were quite mean and always pushy for some reason, i honestly don't know what they were so obnoxious about, one German guy tried to argue about me taking up the whole space on a table at a cafe on the cruise ship "Celestyal Olympia", where I took a 4 day cruise from Athens to Mykonos and Santorini and Kusadasi, Turkey and many nice islands in and around Greece, it was wonderful and nice, Im from Canada and we speak English, so maybe that is the reason for the fact that I met some Germans who were a bit chippy, they actually insult you in German and not even in English if you speak English, i guess they hate Americans, but im not American...
I wouldn't be too sure that they were Germans; they may have been (most likely, as Germans do travel a lot, having long vacations), but maybe not. It's clear, though, that the German-speaking guy you encountered had horrible manners, and he was probably uneducated, since he cursed at you, and did it in German. (I can put him in his place in German, if absolutely necessary, though my preference would be to disarm him with humor), but most Germans I know—the educated and well-mannered class—would never dream of behaving as he did to you. I'm sure they would have spoken up on your behalf and set him straight, just as I, an American who is fluent in German, would have.

Since I speak German fluently and lived in several Germanic-speaking areas, I would have been able to tell their country of origin, but don't forget that Austrians speak German (their native tongue), 63% of Swiss speak primarily German (and more than that percentage can speak German), 28% of Luxembourgians speak German, Namibia is a multilingual country wherein German is recognized as a national language (a form of minority language).

On the other hand, if he was an old, barrel-chested, too-tan dude, wearing a Speedo, he was likely a lower-class, drunken German. Sigh...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 10:25 PM

14,251 posts, read 23,969,886 times
^^^

I am sure that there are a lot of Namibians running around these parts ...

Old 09-24-2016, 10:43 PM

4,690 posts, read 2,540,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
^^^

I am sure that there are a lot of Namibians running around these parts ...
The MS Celestial Olympia is a an older cruise ship (34-years afloat) that spends her time in the waters of the Greek Islands, and plenty close enough for German-speaking Namibians to fly to cruise on her, drink a little too much Ouzo and insult a Canadian tourist.

(Still, more likely German, Austrian, or Swiss.)

Old 09-24-2016, 11:28 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,029,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
The only obnoxious tourists that I come across in my travels are American, US American that is. I am appalled and embarrassed at their behavior because I am also American.
You do not have to go abroad to see nasty Americans. I live and work in a U.S.resort area. People from certain areas have attitudes. Of course others from the same zipcode can be as nice as could be.

Old 09-25-2016, 12:42 AM

24,769 posts, read 6,161,507 times
We English have had dealings with Germans for decades while on holiday in countries like Spain. They are mainly quite pleasant people, but they do have some annoying habits. They like things their way, and are creatures of habit.

The joke among the English is how Germans will get out of bed in the middle of the night, to place their towels on sunbeds round the pool. They decide on the spot they like, and then ensure they have it for their entire holiday. The English sadly, have now picked up this habit after years of German domination round the pool.......

Another thing they like is sitting at the same table every day in the hotel restaurant. On a recent holiday to Spain, my wife was holding the back of a chair at 'their' table when they arrived for dinner. The wife of the couple pushed my wife out of the way, and sat down at 'their' table. My wife was astonished at their rudeness.

The next day, we arrived early at the dining room. When the doors opened for dinner, we went in, and sat down at 'their' table. They arrived, saw us sat there, muttered to each other, then sat down near us. Boy, if looks could kill.

The next night, we arrived at the dining room doors, and there was quite a lot of people waiting for the doors to open. As we stood there, the German couple arrived, and saw we were in front of them. They split up, with the wife on one side of us, and the husband the other. I whispered to my wife, "they're trying the old pincer movement on us Judy.......... I knew what they were up to....... I didn't spend four years in the army not to recognize their tactics.

As the doors opened, there was a rush of people. Many were Germans, and they aren't afraid to use their elbows, so I did also. I rushed at 'their' table, and grabbed a chair, and sat down, just as the guys wife almost knocked my wife over to get past her. I glared in triumph at them both.

England 2 Germany 0.

The next night, we deliberately came down late. I glanced round a corner at the dining room queue. The German couple were at the front!!............ We deliberately left it ten minutes after the dining room opened before we entered. The German couple were sat at their table, and we sailed past them, and sat elsewhere. We had made our point, and didn't want to continue with the game. I hope they learned a lesson from this, but I doubt it.

Old 09-25-2016, 01:23 AM
Status: "I'm travelling at the speed of light." (set 5 days ago)

1,233 posts, read 606,825 times
There is a category of tourist just about in every country for whom unwinding and relaxing on vacation equals to behaving in ways they would not allow themselves to behave in their home country: rudeness, drunkenness etc. There are also countries and types of vacation that are especially suited for that kind of behaviour. Cruising on a ship around Greece is just one such type. Beach holidays in Turkey, Spain or another "cheap" country also attract masses of rude low-class tourists from all Europe, not limited to Germany. I've heard stories of Germans and Russians just about reenacting WW2 battles on Turkish beaches.

Old 09-25-2016, 01:27 AM

37,945 posts, read 55,692,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
My biggest issue with German tourists is same as with Russian ones... middle aged men in speedos at the pool and beach.

Aside from that no problems, even had a nice German fellow contact me when I left my Kindle in a minivan in Myanmar, we hooked up later in another city and he gave it to me.
What is your "biggest" issue with the speedos? They are popular all over Europe. Why would you want men to wear a knee high (board) shorts at the beach or pool? That's mostly an American attire. Why would you expect to see it in Europe?
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-25-2016, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
There is a category of tourist just about in every country for whom unwinding and relaxing on vacation equals to behaving in ways they would not allow themselves to behave in their home country: rudeness, drunkenness etc. There are also countries and types of vacation that are especially suited for that kind of behaviour. Cruising on a ship around Greece is just one such type. Beach holidays in Turkey, Spain or another "cheap" country also attract masses of rude low-class tourists from all Europe, not limited to Germany. I've heard stories of Germans and Russians just about reenacting WW2 battles on Turkish beaches.
Oh gawd........ don't even mention the Russian tourists. They are a nightmare to be around.

Old 09-25-2016, 04:06 AM

Here is a British beer ad about the sunbed problem with German tourists...............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuIJqF8av6I

Old 09-25-2016, 04:16 AM

12,676 posts, read 14,059,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
You've just come across a few bad batches of them. Most are relatively inoffensive sorts, save for a persistent tendency to wander past 'Danger!! Do not go further!!' signs at the edges of canyons in national parks around the world.
We get plenty of German tourists here (and expats living here), and I have found them to be terrific people. My social circle ended up being totally English-speaking Germans. The ones I've met had a great sense of humour, were kind, tended not to have left their education behind when they left school, etc. Can't say enough good things about them.

As for the signs...........yes, and sometimes here with fatal consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or