U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 09:21 AM

1,567 posts, read 781,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
If they were East Asians, they were not Japanese, that's for sure. Japanese are the most polite people I have ever met.

They were (and I feel very confident in saying this) surely Chinese.
Yes, they were most likely mainland Chinese. The Chinese from Hong Kong are the opposite and incredibly polite. Agree about the Japanese, we recently encountered a group of Japanese tourists at a local attraction and they could not have been more polite and respectful to others around them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 01:39 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,380,249 times
LOL, I love all the comments pro and con, however, as a German native let me clarify somewhat. Iím not sure if some of the things that bother other people or myself as being just me or being German.

I hate any waiting line, you will never see me in any line. I will never be the first to buy an iphone or shopping on black Friday. You will never see me on a cruise ship.

I hate speedos just as much as American men wearing capris as swimwear. So I swim without anything, itís liberating and if you do it once you will never go back.

Iím one that will go out to what may look like the edge of a canyon, for someone standing 50 feet behind me, but Iím still three feet from the edge. This is difficult for my American wife to understand.

I think that I have a great sense of humor, that Iím fun to be with. others may not interpret it this way. As a tourist I encounter many nationalityís and believe the Japanese and Thai people to be the most amiable.

I love the desert and canít get enough of it. My poor wife always complains about it and will say Ďmust we look at more rocks and sandí. Even in the Sahara or Libyan desert you canít get away from Germans or English. I think it goes back to the English Anglo-Saxon roots for the need to be together.

No one knows Iím German because I speak English with a southern accent and wear my hookíem horns baseball hat. Even if I tell someone that Iím German they donít believe me, saying but you have a southern accent. My usual reply is thatís true because Iím from the southern part of Germany.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:19 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,045,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post

I hate speedos just as much as American men wearing capris as swimwear. So I swim without anything, itís liberating and if you do it once you will never go back.

Do that at the beach or public pools in my area and it will be a memorable and expensive experience.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:50 AM

24,876 posts, read 6,198,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
LOL, I love all the comments pro and con, however, as a German native let me clarify somewhat. Iím not sure if some of the things that bother other people or myself as being just me or being German.

I hate any waiting line, you will never see me in any line. I will never be the first to buy an iphone or shopping on black Friday. You will never see me on a cruise ship.

Iím one that will go out to what may look like the edge of a canyon, for someone standing 50 feet behind me, but Iím still three feet from the edge. This is difficult for my American wife to understand.

I think that I have a great sense of humor, that Iím fun to be with. others may not interpret it this way. As a tourist I encounter many nationalityís and believe the Japanese and Thai people to be the most amiable.

I love the desert and canít get enough of it. My poor wife always complains about it and will say Ďmust we look at more rocks and sandí. Even in the Sahara or Libyan desert you canít get away from Germans or English. I think it goes back to the English Anglo-Saxon roots for the need to be together.

No one knows Iím German because I speak English with a southern accent and wear my hookíem horns baseball hat. Even if I tell someone that Iím German they donít believe me, saying but you have a southern accent. My usual reply is thatís true because Iím from the southern part of Germany.
1. It is in the blood, and you can't help having a German attitude to things!

2. Yes, I understand very well your reluctance to stand in line...... I have witnessed this often with Germans.

3. I believe pleasure in nakedness is also a German thing. Swedish folks also. Whatever floats your boat.

4. I do not understand this wanting to gaze over edges of canyons. I would understand your wife's confusion with this.

5. You have a great sense of humour? I have found this a rare thing in German tourists I have observed. The only one's with even less of this trait, are Russian tourists. Boy - they're a miserable lot.

6. I am also fond of desert landscapes. Maybe we Germans and English have more in common than I thought........

7. No one knows you're German? I bet I would............

Old 09-27-2016, 02:42 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,170,588 times
The only tourists I find obnoxiuous are my fellow Frenchmen when I'm travelling. As soon as they hear us (my wife and I ) talking , they flock to us as if we xwere of the same family. How annoying! if I'm travelling, it's to get to know foreign cultures and mores, not speak to the same people I meet in my everyday life! (and some of them can be loud too...)

Old 09-27-2016, 02:55 AM

24,876 posts, read 6,198,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
The only tourists I find obnoxiuous are my fellow Frenchmen when I'm travelling. As soon as they hear us (my wife and I ) talking , they flock to us as if we xwere of the same family. How annoying! if I'm travelling, it's to get to know foreign cultures and mores, not speak to the same people I meet in my everyday life! (and some of them can be loud too...)
Same here with the English...... I try to stay well away from them........ Most of the older English are ok. They tend to still have good manners. The one's 50 and under, grew up in a different time to me, and can be quite obnoxious, especially when drinking to excess.

When we visit countries like Spain and Greece, we tend to stay in hotels among the local people. Benidorm for instance, has a bad reputation for English behaviour. This is true, because I have observed it myself. A loud minority show us all in a bad light, and make me quite ashamed sometimes.

But, in the old town part of Benidorm, the Spanish live, and enjoy themselves in their tapas bars. That's where my wife and myself spend our time, and enjoy the company of the friendly Spanish people.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:18 AM

12,710 posts, read 8,789,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I think that's pretty universal. I really don't want to bump into fellow Canadians while travelling. I used to love going to places where I didn't bump into Canadians for months.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:23 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,170,588 times
Default but there's an exception, though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I think that's pretty universal. I really don't want to bump into fellow Canadians while travelling. I used to love going to places where I didn't bump into Canadians for months.

I just love bumping into French Canadians. They are very different from the French and their accent is so funny . And I have yet to meet a French Canadian that's not nice and friendly! same thing (to az lesser extent because it feels less "exotic" to us ) with French Swiss and French Belgians.

Old 10-10-2016, 11:44 PM

3,275 posts, read 3,706,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Nope. There are lots and lots of English-speaking Canadians who behave badly. Who also love to proclaim the supposed truth (apparently spewed by Canadians themselves) that Canadians are simple, polite people. And that if anyone has actually encountered a badly-behaved Canadian, they must really either not be a Canadian (must really have been an American) or, they must have been from Quebec - in other words, French.

Nope. There are plenty of English-only speaking Canadians who are badly behaved. Surprise, surprise.
Absolutely. FWIW, among Anglo-Canadians, the most well-behaved ones in my opinion are from BC and Ontario. The most ill-mannered ones tend to be from Alberta and Saskatchewan.

Old 10-11-2016, 03:59 AM

9,265 posts, read 10,935,032 times
Reading through this thread I can't help but recall back in the early nineties watching a drunken British fellow dressed up like an Orthodox priest walking through the streets of Mykonos Greece yelling and "blessing" people. The elderly traditional Greek women were crossing themselves, looking appalled. All I could think at the time was "Thank God he's not American!" Because we certainly have quite the reputation. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or