U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 04:54 AM

17,403 posts, read 21,244,496 times

Advertisements

Interesting article in the recent Travel + Leisure magazine, entitled Device As Vice, A new breed of retreat wants to separate you from your screen - for your own good.

"The idea for Time to Log Off came last year during a visit to Silicon Valley, where she learned that companies like Google encourage employees to take digital sabbaticals."

"A Microsoft study last year found that since 2000 the average human attention span has declined from 12 seconds to 8 seconds, shorter than the attention span of a goldfish."

"There's nothing new about restorative travel, from spa vacations to meditation retreats, but programs designed to help us step away from our digital lives are something of a growth industry. In addition to Time to Log Off, there's San Francisco-based Digital Detox, which hosts Camp Grounded, a 4-day boot camp in locations around the U.S. for people looking to break the digital habit. At Villa Stephanie, a wellness retreat in Baden-Baden Germany, for example, bedroom walls have been embedded with copper plates and coated in special paint to block all Wi-Fi signals and electricity."

And you? You'd be game for one of these retreats? You could survive 4 days to a week without being online/connected?

Sheesh! My last trips to Central/South America I wasn't online for the whole 16 days of my trips!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 06:53 AM

6,307 posts, read 7,460,054 times
This isn't anything new- someone just found a way to make money at it.

Most of our camping excursions are out of cell range and with no electricity- other than what the battery on our trailer can provide.

Old 09-28-2016, 12:20 PM

5,949 posts, read 2,895,036 times
Meh, digital devices can make travel easier so I don't see the point of bragging about traveling without.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:56 PM

5,247 posts, read 3,018,567 times
I have never owned one and am doing just fine.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:02 PM

I don't doubt you're doing fine, and would never claim it isn't possible to have a great time on vacation without a digital device.

However I've found it sure can make things easier and save a lot of headaches, plus on a long trip through many countries I'm sure not going to carry around a suitcase full of guidebooks. It doesn't even have to go as far as having local cell phone access, we have used devices on wifi to figure out the best area of town to stay, book rooms, find said rooms, research train schedules, figure out local bus routes, find things to do, etc.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:10 PM

9,076 posts, read 9,510,649 times
My phone is my camera, so I definitely like having it along when I travel, even if in airplane mode.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:49 AM

2,658 posts, read 1,551,482 times
I definitely could and do...at least one week a year I try to travel and disconnect entirely. However since we have a child we often leave with grandparents we don't get to fully disconnect but usually only turn on the device once or twice to facetime.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:17 AM

17,403 posts, read 21,244,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Meh, digital devices can make travel easier so I don't see the point of bragging about traveling without.
And what happens if its robbed on your vacation, and you're in a foreign country?

Old 09-29-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
And what happens if its robbed on your vacation, and you're in a foreign country?
You're in the same place as the person who didn't have the convenience in the first place, thus no worse.

I've traveled with digital devices and without, either way can be done but only a fool would maintain that having access to that much more information isn't more convenient for the traveler.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:58 AM

6,307 posts, read 7,460,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I think the point was speaking about the general "being connected" rather than using a device for the sole purpose of making the trip itself easier.

If you can limit your device usage to simply looking up train schedules, or whatever specific travelling thing you're doing, good for you. Most people I know would be extremely tempted to check their e-mail, or social media, "just for a sec". I think those are the people that are the target market for these sorts of retreats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or