U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 12:21 PM

9,332 posts, read 4,282,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
It has also been years since I've been asked for my claim ticket, both in the US and abroad. If anything I think it is more for tracking a lost bag than making sure that a person is really picking up their bag. I also think that gone are the days that anyone would put anything truly valuable in their suitcase so I wouldn't see what the appeal would be, possibly that the bag itself is what's valuable and not the contents. I have seen a few bags on the carousel that I would love to own. Also I think that people are hyper vigilant about looking for their bags to come off the belt so if someone tried to steal your bag, it's more likely that you will be confronted immediately.

At worse you may have a situation where someone accidentally takes your bag because it is similar to yours, I did this many years ago and fortunately recognized the situation before I left the parking lot so we were able to get the bags switched back right away.
The obvious reasons are to file a claim if your bag is lost or stolen. Long gone are the days when there was a guy at the exit checking your stub and bags to insure you had the right ones.

However you bring up one situation where someone else accidentally takes your bag, but then can contact the airline.
I once had my bag taken by someone accidentally while getting off the rental van at the airport. It happened because the driver handed them the wrong bag, and looking similar, the guy didn't notice. As soon as I realized what happened, the guy was inside the terminal, but I didn't know what he looked like. It was a mad scramble to look at every bag similar to mine, and then the distinctive foam handle cover I had on it. Without that, it would have been a lost cause. Even with it on, trying to scan every bag people were rapidly pulling in every direction was difficult.
When I found him, he was embarrassed, and asked for his bag. I told him it was back at the shuttle, and we went back together. Lucky for him, the driver waited with his bag and apologized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 01:57 PM

8,323 posts, read 6,166,717 times
Flying domestically when an airline lost my shotgun. I was glad I had it.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:31 PM

5,440 posts, read 2,763,420 times
When I went to visit my parents in the mid-80s, I took my dog along because at that time it was cheaper to fly him both ways then to board him for two weeks. Coming back into San Francisco, they wouldn't release the dog to me until I showed them the baggage claim ticket matching the number attached to his crate door. I was pretty happy about that.

Bu that was the only time my baggage ticket was every checked.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:31 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,039,389 times
Mine is checked when I fly to Guatemala. And I needed it in the US when a bag did not make it on the plane to make the lost baggage claim.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:46 PM

2,980 posts, read 2,705,274 times
Yes, every time I landed in Kiev; they need to match it to your luggage before they will let you out of the airport. I needed to show it once to TSA screeners at the international arrivals terminal in Philadelphia. They were apparently searching for terrorists coming into the country. I also needed it for the three times that my luggage got lost on flights. I can't remember needing it at JFK or EWR.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:02 PM

6,205 posts, read 2,865,717 times
Yup: Vegas - each time. I think they like to put my bag on a separate flight for more Milage points!
Yes: Jamaica- entering back in state.
Yes- each time to and from international -Europe.
Now that I think about it.. Since I fly single.. No family or co workers on flights.. They may think I'm trafficking something! All I bring back is a no worries attitude. Nothing to hide..

Old 09-28-2016, 09:14 PM

9,075 posts, read 9,507,813 times
Never. I've flown to Vegas many times, never been asked even when my bag arrived before I did. I just pointed and said "that's mine" and they gave to me.

Didn't have to show it in Mexico either. Or San Jose, or Chicago, or LAX...not once anywhere.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:48 AM

14,260 posts, read 23,995,588 times
I have had it happen at BOTH Las Vegas and Chicago in the 2002--2005 time frame.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:47 AM

2,658 posts, read 1,550,599 times
Several times...had US Air lost my bags multiple times about 10 years ago. I think they lost them 8 or 9 times that year, something like that. Otherwise sometimes for customs depending on where you're going to and from (and as another poster mentioned they do seem to ask more when traveling solo).

Old 09-29-2016, 09:18 AM

21,177 posts, read 11,785,778 times
Yes at NYC airports and a couple of other times in domestic airports, but I don't specifically recall where. It's good to have handy just in case someone tries to grab your bag, so you can easily show them it's yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or