U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 08:32 AM

17,247 posts, read 19,545,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Lonely Planet, Tripadvisor, and google.
Using these web sites for New York City, you get the following top attractions:

Statue of Liberty
Empire State Building
9/11 memorial

High Line
Times Square
Metropolitan Museum of Art

Museum of Modern Art
Museum of Natural History
Rockefeller Center/Top of the Rock

Central Park
Broadway
One World Observatory

Brooklyn Bridge
Bryant Park
Lincoln Center

Greenwich Village
West Village
St. Patrick's Cathedral
etc.

So, there you go. Your entire vacation practically mapped out for you in a matter of minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 09:28 AM

14,123 posts, read 20,889,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
We just did a three week trip to China and Japan all on our own. We hired a guide company for China, but made all hotel and airline reservations ourselves.

It really isn't that difficult.
OMG so jealous!!!

Old 10-09-2016, 09:51 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,262,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I usually tell people who have never traveled before to take a tour. Often they want to see as much as possible in a short period of time. It's usually some variation of London, Paris, Rome. There is no way you can see as much on your own as you do with something like a Cosmos or Globus tour. And everyone gets to enjoy the trip without driving in these places and searching for parking.

I advocate for the cheaper tours that use local hotels, not the American chains. You get to see all the sights with no hassles. You get a taste of every city and you see enough to be able to plan return trips to the places you want to explore in depth. I think it's a great first time experience.
you are right, but I think a wiser suggestion is to tell them "not try to see as much as possible in a short period of time". It is the stupidest way of travel, utter waste of money.

I deeply despise these kind of tours:

Paris + London, in 4 days!
Rome, Venice, Florence and Milan in 7 days!
Boston, NYC, Philly, DC in 6 days! (real story, about 2 hours in Philly, 1.5 days in NYC, why bother).

millions of people do that everyday. And then they tell others how many countries and cities they have been to.

Old 10-09-2016, 05:17 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,183,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
The use of brick & mortar travel agents seem to be obsolete. How do you plan your BIGGER vacations, like 1-2 weeks somewhere like to another country in which you want a knowledgeable person who can give you the best for your money & know the in's & out's of various places, secret tips, etc.? (I'm not really talking about a little 2-day getaway.)

I'd like to go to the 2020 Olympics in Japan, but I'm wary about planning such a huge trip like that all by myself & how legit & reputable are the online travel planning companies? Please give me your go-to travel planning company that YOU use please. Thanks a lot!
With great anticipation and much pleasure.

Planning vacations is one of my favorite pleasures in life. I love all aspects of planning vacations. I even relish the extra challenges that come with taking others along with you.

I have done the guided tours and cruises as well as the self directed trips. I enjoy them all and believe they all have value.

If planning a self directed trip, I primarily use the internet and guide books at the local Barnes and Noble. I consider budget and schedule of everyone involved in the trip. If someone is interested in helping in the travel planning, we divide up the tasks to suit the different interests.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:19 AM

5,691 posts, read 8,760,259 times
I get guide books from the library and figure out the sights I want to see. I'll map out a circular route that gets me to them. My preference is natural sites and small villages so I rent a car. Other than plane and car reservations that's it. And maybe lodging for the night before I return.

I'm happy to have a variety of lodging and can select the guest house based on the view, location, etc. Of course it is important to travel off season. Sometimes I'll get help from guidebooks or the tourist office.

I like flexibility and I can see indoor sights during bad weather. And spend as much or little time as I want, unless it's the end of the trip

Quote:
It is the stupidest way of travel, utter waste of money.
Are you the person who was hateful towards those of us who like to keep moving?
Have you examined your animosity? Is it directed towards someone in your life or random strangers such as myself.

I like the variety , it's just my style.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:25 AM

2,658 posts, read 1,549,780 times
I usually wing it...I'll go with a plane ticket and somewhere to sleep (usually...not always) and then go from there. I read up on the place ahead of time to get ideas but don't do concrete plans and just see where the trip takes me.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:14 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,429,313 times
I always do my own research and plan my own trips. It would never occur to me to use a travel agent who makes money off having relationships with certain hotels/restaurants/tours.

Old 10-14-2016, 03:28 PM

5,433 posts, read 8,151,272 times
OP back.

Thanks so very much guys for all the info & I will definitely refer back to this thread when I start researching. I'm sure it's easier than I think to plan a trip. I've just never planned one before all by myself of this magnitude. Other states, yes, but not other countries. Plus, when I don't speak the language of a place, it'ss harder, but I plan to have apps, etc. all ready to use there.

Feel free to give more suggestions, info, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelenap View Post
...Sometimes I do wish there was a travel agent and would even pay a small fee just not for having to spend days online. I don't think it's lazy, my time is not free either and I could spend it more productively. For the same reason cleaning services exist even though anyone can do that...
Exactly! I know what you mean!

botticelli, just because I ask a certain question, no need to insult & say myself & some others are lazy. I'm sure you wouldn't call a coworker lazy if they simply asked you a question like that at work. Just say what you have to say that's helpful & keep it moving.

Old 10-16-2016, 06:38 PM

61 posts, read 22,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
I usually wing it...I'll go with a plane ticket and somewhere to sleep (usually...not always) and then go from there. I read up on the place ahead of time to get ideas but don't do concrete plans and just see where the trip takes me.
Oh yes, I do it too. I hate taking tours or give detailed plans. If I have the trip that will be in a month or more, I can be sure, something will happen and I'll stay at home. So if I have vacation and want to travel, I go to the https://www.iflyfirstclass.com/, look for the cheapest last minute deal and fly away! Unsuspected trips usually are more interesting than well-planed.

Old 10-16-2016, 06:39 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,671,692 times
When we travel within the country, we just handle it on our own using the Internet.

When we traveled to Germany, we had our extended family (in Germany) handle the details for us. We actually stayed with them and booked our own flights, but everything we did once we got there was really at their recommendation.

My son and I are going to London in a couple of months for a week. He actually earned the trip through his hobby, so we used their travel agency to book the plane tickets and our hotel. We could have handled that on our own (we picked out the hotel beforehand and found the appropriate flights before calling), but I've also been to London before, so I know that I can navigate the transportation. If it was a non-English-speaking country that I'd never been to (outside of Europe, since we have friends/family in several countries who can advise us), I'd be a bit more nervous, but I think I could handle it, having traveled internationally several times before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or