U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 09:14 PM

26,076 posts, read 33,081,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I don't know... adults bringing their own pillows (or blankets) for a better rest, seem very childish to me.
On my last trip I saw a guy in his 40's hugging his pillow on the security lane, and I could not stop thinking about his infantile behavior.
I sleep well on any hotel pillow, but if happen that I find them too soft, I just ask management to give me different ones. Most of them have huge selection of pillows for every "taste".
Melatonin tip is great - it works well for me.
LOL! Whenever the situation allows, I absolutely take my own pillow! Childish? Ha. Those that have problems getting to sleep would never say that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 08:09 PM

7,689 posts, read 16,133,353 times
I was poking around the IHG/Holiday Inn app earlier today and noticed that they've got a white noise generator as part of that app. Wouldn't be surprised if other hotel apps has something similar.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:42 AM

2,382 posts, read 4,510,751 times
I bring my own pillow - a smaller sized memory foam one. I don't think over much about how clean/dirty sheets and comforters are but I get really icked out by having a "used" pillow up near my face. I noticed I have way less issues with my allergies, less sinus congestion and don't get sick as often since I started doing this.

I have insomnia so I often use medication as a sleep aid. I also do the things I do at home when on the road to lessen my insomnia - hot shower a hour before bed , then keep the room temp low , avoid late night coffee, don't eat a heavy meal too late, avoid watching upsettting tv shows right before bed

Night mask - one like a "Bucky" that doesnt touch your eyes.

Ear plugs and white noise app on my phone

Old 10-05-2016, 08:40 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,250,382 times
Have sex before crashing.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:51 AM

514 posts, read 357,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortel View Post
yup yup yup. i learned one thing quickly while traveling for business. always have ear plugs.
Exactly! I spend about 120 nights in a motel each year for my job. It is all about the ear plugs. I put them in during the entire flight and as soon as I hit the pillow.

I almost always sleep great after taking 1 Benadryl a 1/2 hour before I go to bed. Turn the A/C down to 63 degrees, and I am out for 8 hours.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:48 PM

5,284 posts, read 3,039,847 times
I just lay down and go to sleep, must be something to do with a clear conscience. I did travel every week for 20 years, so it comes natural to me.

Old 10-06-2016, 06:56 PM

6,272 posts, read 18,928,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I don't know... adults bringing their own pillows (or blankets) for a better rest, seem very childish to me.
On my last trip I saw a guy in his 40's hugging his pillow on the security lane, and I could not stop thinking about his infantile behavior.
I sleep well on any hotel pillow, but if happen that I find them too soft, I just ask management to give me different ones. Most of them have huge selection of pillows for every "taste".
Melatonin tip is great - it works well for me.
When I was a kid and we went on vacation, we always brought our pillows. Since we drove everywhere, they came in very handy. Now that I'm an adult I pack my pillow in my suitcase every single trip. I know where my pillow has been. Do you know where your next hotel pillow has been? If you think they are clean you are fooling yourself!

Old 10-06-2016, 08:06 PM

7,986 posts, read 3,480,647 times
Bringing your own pillows makes a lot of sense. You don't know who had the flu with that pillow that's on a hotel bed. I couldn't sleep just for that reason alone. I do also check the bed for bed bugs. I rest easier knowing I'm not going to wake up with those critters on me. It doesn't matter how nice the hotel is either. The nice places have bed bugs too.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:38 PM

2,013 posts, read 5,003,067 times
Earplugs and a cold room, extra blankets heaped on the bed. Black out window curtains (I keep extra small clothespins in my travel kit and make sure they close tightly). Roll up a bath towel and put it on the bottom of the door frame, blocks out hallway light and noise.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:12 PM

2,971 posts, read 2,758,703 times
One no one has mentioned I found very helpful for me is putting a home made humidifier near the air flowing into room from HVAC whether atop a window floor unit or in path of an upper vent. I frequently find when I travel that some hotels in particular are too dry and I awaken occasionally from it.

What you do, is take a washcloth and two cups / glasses. Saturate the washcloth with water and place each end of it in two cups / glasses that are half filled with water - with the washcloth mid point arched between. Place this in the best place where there is strong air flow from the HVAC vents.

The pillow is usually solved easily if the hotel room gives you enough to bank / prop as necessary. I never bothered bringing my own but I can understand why some do.

Earplugs are also one of best helps in getting restful sleep in hotels due to wide variance in behavior by fellow travelers. I have on occasion (years ago when smoking was still prevalent in hotels) placed towels at base of door as some doors have a fairly large gap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or