U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 05:53 AM

32,089 posts, read 33,002,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I'm guessing from your post that you aren't a frequent flyer. So I just want to clarify in case it's a term you aren't familiar with ... when the other poster said "TSA Pre" (aka "Pre Check), that means that he has been pre-approved to go through expedited security lines. I'm guessing you don't have PreCheck. Your security screening experience will be different (and likely longer) than his. Also remember that if the flight is at 5:50, they begin the boarding process around 5:20.
Also if one isn't checking in online, then one needs to be at the airline check-in counter at least 45 minutes to an hour (depending on the airline) before the flight departure time as the check-in for a flight usually closes that amount time in advance. So to be on safe side it is always good to be at the airport at least an hour and half before one's flight at any medium/large sized airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 07:53 AM

4,902 posts, read 9,675,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I'm guessing from your post that you aren't a frequent flyer. So I just want to clarify in case it's a term you aren't familiar with ... when the other poster said "TSA Pre" (aka "Pre Check), that means that he has been pre-approved to go through expedited security lines. I'm guessing you don't have PreCheck. Your security screening experience will be different (and likely longer) than his. Also remember that if the flight is at 5:50, they begin the boarding process around 5:20.
I appreciate your comments. I fly quite frequently and have TSA pre check.

The flying experience can vary greatly by airport. Some have skycaps, which can greatly expedite check in, and some don't. Some, like Denver, have two security points and it helps to know which one to use.

Having an early morning flight, it helps to know when the airline counters and security lines open (or if they even close). Also, whether or not there are a lot of early morning flights from specific airports.

Old 10-04-2016, 11:56 AM

2,542 posts, read 5,994,485 times
It's a small airport, so it doesn't take long to get from Point A to Point B. I've only dropped people off, not actually flown from there, but I wait until my visitors get through security and it never seems to take long (15 minutes).

And Stumptown and Voodoo Donuts (I think) are behind security. Good for flyers who have lots of time. Not so good for people just dropping off/picking up people. Stumptown is just behind security, taunting me.

Old 10-04-2016, 12:24 PM

4,181 posts, read 1,903,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
I appreciate your comments. I fly quite frequently and have TSA pre check.

The flying experience can vary greatly by airport. Some have skycaps, which can greatly expedite check in, and some don't. Some, like Denver, have two security points and it helps to know which one to use.

Having an early morning flight, it helps to know when the airline counters and security lines open (or if they even close). Also, whether or not there are a lot of early morning flights from specific airports.
We have to assume you don't have a pre-check. Now that you have disclosed a pre-chec & signified that you may have checked bags, we can be more exact.

West coast airport majors (SEA, PDX, SFO, LAX) are originating and terminus of airlines. AM flights will be departing flights to points East and points N & S. The AM flights will leave On time! Flights in the PM will be mostly arriving and maybe delayed.

YMMV.

Old 10-04-2016, 12:35 PM

4,181 posts, read 1,903,923 times
Also, Monday's AM are commuting times as is Friday's PM.

Old 10-10-2016, 06:07 AM

4,902 posts, read 9,675,757 times
We are at the gate. Took us 20 minutes from arriving at airport at 4:30 am to get to the gate, including checking our luggage. Helps to have pre-printed boarding pass and TSA pre check.

Thanks again for everyone's responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or